Carpenter Bees ...

/ Carpenter Bees ... #51  
I live in a log home and I built 6 carpenter bee traps. A 4" block of 4x4 post with 4 3/8" holes going upward into the block. The 4 holes meet inside the block to a 1/2" hole going straight down. A mason jar is mounted on the bottom of the block. The bees climb into one of the 4 entrances on the side, and then down the main tunnel into the mason jar. They can't get out. Each trap will capture 30-40 bees in a few weeks. I empty them and keep capturing more bees.

Not my video, but this is what they look like:

I have found the wood peckers do way more damage than the bees. They open up the bee tunnels and wreak havok on my log siding, in particular on my garage. The bees don't tend to bore into my log home, just the garage which has log siding on regular stick built construction.

I've made 12-15 of these and they will catch hundreds of the little buggers. I don't want to just 'empty' it as some are going to still be alive in there. I'll wait until season is over and/or take the jar down to the lake and drown them.....then turn them into potential fish-bait! (I have no idea if the fish would eat them or not.....I leave that decision up to them!)

It amazes me when the traps are up that some of them are prolific at catching the buggers.....others not so much. Not sure if it has to do with sunshine, lack of, star alignment or pot luck. Those that are prolific in catching them, I might add a second one next to it. I've got them on all four sides of the house with the most of them on the front deck area.

/ Carpenter Bees ... #52  
It amazes me when the traps are up that some of them are prolific at catching the buggers.....others not so much. Not sure if it has to do with sunshine, lack of, star alignment or pot luck. Those that are prolific in catching them, I might add a second one next to it.

The light that hits the jar may be the reason some traps work, and some don't.

I have read that the bees are looking for light when looking for an exit,,
so, some have said to add a crumpled piece of aluminum foil in the clear jar.

The foil will reflect light, attracting the bees to "that" exit.

It is cheap enough to try, and probably nothing negative about adding the aluminum.

/ Carpenter Bees ... #53  
My understanding is the entrance hole has to be drilled on an upward angle AND closer to the top verses bottom of housing. There is a hole in the bottom for them to enter the jar.

When they get inside, they fly around... can't find their way out (since there isn't a direct view out the entrance hole because of it being angled) BUT, they see the light in the bottom.....so go there to escape, only to find themselves joining up with the rest of their ilk.

If someone tries one of these and it's not working then I'd review how it's constructed (is the hole about 1/2"? Is the hole angled upwards? Is the hole on the upper section of the box?)

/ Carpenter Bees ... #54  
2-4-D and GRAZON are plant control products, not insect control.

NPIC says 2-4-D is practically non-toxic to bees.
I would imagine GRAZON is similar.

Farmers do not go out and target bees,, they are more concerned about pollination than 99% of homeowners.

I doubt that 2-4-D would be in business, if it harmed insects.
It doesn't harm them. It just eliminates their food source.
Just like they claim glyphosate harms humans. But it's still here

/ Carpenter Bees ... #55  
I use spectracide carpenter bee and yellowjacket killer, that stuff does work on them. The straw is flexible, so I snake it into the hole as deep as able and hit the go button. The stuff foams up in there, and soon they start filing out and dropping dead on the ground. Then I plug the hole.

/ Carpenter Bees ... #56  
I sprayed my cedar pergola today. Those bastards got into it, (3) holes, last April. They will have a rude awakening this spring. Mixed it a little hot too. I also have a couple carpenter bee traps I made, places around the house.

Last edited:
   / Carpenter Bees ... #57  
I've had very good luck with the traps. I use these:

P1090493a.jpg
P1090494a.jpg
P1090497a.jpg

I put up 3, and caught over a hundred last season. I haven't seen any yet this spring.

/ Carpenter Bees ... #58  
   / Carpenter Bees ... #59  
Delta Dust and one of those puffers. Hit the holes and leave them open so other stragglers go in and get dosed too. Been doing that the last couple of years and see way fewer carpenter bees.

/ Carpenter Bees ... #60  
I've made 12-15 of these and they will catch hundreds of the little buggers. I don't want to just 'empty' it as some are going to still be alive in there. I'll wait until season is over and/or take the jar down to the lake and drown them.....then turn them into potential fish-bait! (I have no idea if the fish would eat them or not.....I leave that decision up to them!)

It amazes me when the traps are up that some of them are prolific at catching the buggers.....others not so much. Not sure if it has to do with sunshine, lack of, star alignment or pot luck. Those that are prolific in catching them, I might add a second one next to it. I've got them on all four sides of the house with the most of them on the front deck area.
I use the traps as well. I have 4 around the four corners of the house and only the one on the S.E. corner catches any, I as told not to empty it as the dead ones attract more. Don't know about that, but the pile keeps getting deeper. Was also told that only the females bore and that they show up a little later in the spring. Don't know about that either.