Carpenter Bees ...

/ Carpenter Bees ... #1  

Southernspeed

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey Furgeson 2850M
Is there actually anything that either kills them or keeps them away? All 4 barns were swarming with them today. I tried all kinds of lotions and potions last year to no avail. At this rate I'll be rebuilding the barns before long! Even my new 'treated' fence posts that I put in last year suffered from them, and then of course the Woodpecker had to do his bit as well!
Apart from a scattergun or napalm, I'm at a loss as to how to beat them!

/ Carpenter Bees ... #2  
Got kids or grandkids? Buy em a badminton racket!
In the new horse stable I remember an old guy told me (I'm 70...he was probably 90) to just blow up some brown paper bags and put them up high. They look like hornet nests so carpenter bees leave. So far haven't seen any. Otherwise I use spray for bees, brake clean, whatever is handy.
They even drill pressure treated wood. I took down a shed and they drill up and over as you know.

/ Carpenter Bees ...
Got kids or grandkids? Buy em a badminton racket!
In the new horse stable I remember an old guy told me (I'm 70...he was probably 90) to just blow up some brown paper bags and put them up high. They look like hornet nests so carpenter bees leave. So far haven't seen any. Otherwise I use spray for bees, brake clean, whatever is handy.
They even drill pressure treated wood. I took down a shed and they drill up and over as you know.
No kids etc but I'm pretty good with a lead rope with a knot on the end! I've heard about the paper bag thing, may have to give that a try. I've hit them hard with brake cleaner, WD40, chain cleaner... they just go dry off and come back for more! And I haven't found a insecticide that works yet despite manufacturer's claim of instant death!

/ Carpenter Bees ... #4  
Spray a little of this or any brake cleaner in the hole.
2023_03_23_22.28.38.jpg

/ Carpenter Bees ... #5  
When I've found them in a building the first thing I do is paint bottoms of wood with a roller and light color oil base paint. They seem to pass up painted surfaces plus light color make's it easy to see holes with a headlamp at night while bees are resting inside. I splice a garden sprayer wand with copper tube so I can place nozzle in holes and give bees a bath without using a ladder. I used Dursban and Diazinon until they were taken off the shelf,now I use Bifen I keep on hand for termites and ants. Sometimes few sneaky ones in wall girts escape and have to dealt with one by one as time allows.

/ Carpenter Bees ... #6  
I have an exterminating company spray my house exterior and other structures (sheds, gazebos) each spring for bees. Costs about $250, and have never had an issue with bees since.

/ Carpenter Bees ... #7  
WD-40 works, leaves a residue they don't like, and doesn't evaporate as fast as brake cleaner. You need to spray deep in the hole which goes only about an inch in then does a 90 and the will burrow for several feet to deposit their eggs. Spray until overflowing. I use 1/16 air line over the WD-40 straw to get passed the 90 degree bend. I also snake the holes using 0.030 weld rod with a hook bent into the end to fish them out. Caulk the holes shut right away or you will invite future visitors.

/ Carpenter Bees ... #9  
Guys, this is a pretty easy problem. I own older houses and barns, which these buggers love to use for nesting, so I've followed a quick and simple protocol used by the pros:

1. Get yourself a duster ($20), some bee dust ($25), and a bag of #2 corks. Links below.
2. Insert duster tip into carpenter bee hole, anytime you hear them in there, and give it a squeeze.
3. Enjoy the sound of dying carpenter bees, they don't go quietly. Most will fall out of the hole and die on the ground.
4. After things go quiet (half hour), stick a cork in the hole and leave it there for a few days, to be sure there's no more entering/exiting. The cork is soft and easy for them to chew thru, which prevents them from boring a fresh hole in your wood if you failed to get them all, and gives you an easy sight gauge on whether that nest is actually finished.
5. The following weekend, remove cork, patch and paint, as needed. Corks are re-usable for years on end, a bag of 25 might last you a lifetime.

/ Carpenter Bees ...
Guys, this is a pretty easy problem. I own older houses and barns, which these buggers love to use for nesting, so I've followed a quick and simple protocol used by the pros:

1. Get yourself a duster ($20), some bee dust ($25), and a bag of #2 corks. Links below.
2. Insert duster tip into carpenter bee hole, anytime you hear them in there, and give it a squeeze.
3. Enjoy the sound of dying carpenter bees, they don't go quietly. Most will fall out of the hole and die on the ground.
4. After things go quiet (half hour), stick a cork in the hole and leave it there for a few days, to be sure there's no more entering/exiting. The cork is soft and easy for them to chew thru, which prevents them from boring a fresh hole in your wood if you failed to get them all, and gives you an easy sight gauge on whether that nest is actually finished.
5. The following weekend, remove cork, patch and paint, as needed. Corks are re-usable for years on end, a bag of 25 might last you a lifetime.

Thanks for the links, I’ll certainly try this on the lower more accessible ones but the ones that are 30-40 feet up are out of the question.
During the day they seem to hang out around the shed row barn, flying around. I was hoping to find something that will just kill on contact like a fly spray would.
Maybe I need a flame thrower 😂