Carpenter Bees ...

/ Carpenter Bees ... #22  
BIFEN-IT is a termicide that works wonders for carpenter bees, ants and almost every other bug. Buy it from Do-it yourself pest control. Mix 2-3 ozs per gallon of water and use a tank sprayer to spray down all exposed wood, treated or otherwise.
Spray all rafters, and wood products in the spring and a month or two later hit it again. After the first year bees stay away but will come back eventually if not sprayed at least once in the spring. It is so much easier than to try individual holes.
I tried tennis rackets, powder, various traps but this stuff puts everything else to shame as far as cost to use and works so easy.

/ Carpenter Bees ... #23  
   / Carpenter Bees ... #24  
No kids etc but I'm pretty good with a lead rope with a knot on the end! I've heard about the paper bag thing, may have to give that a try. I've hit them hard with brake cleaner, WD40, chain cleaner... they just go dry off and come back for more! And I haven't found a insecticide that works yet despite manufacturer's claim of instant death!

Thanks for the links, I’ll certainly try this on the lower more accessible ones but the ones that are 30-40 feet up are out of the question.
During the day they seem to hang out around the shed row barn, flying around. I was hoping to find something that will just kill on contact like a fly spray would.
Maybe I need a flame thrower 😂
What kind of structures are these with wood bees 40 feet overhead?

/ Carpenter Bees ...
What kind of structures are these with wood bees 40 feet overhead?
My pole barn is something like 35-40 feet high (guessing but visualising two 16’ boards on end it’s more than that ) and a centre isle barn with hay loft is around 25-30’. The other two barns are just single story fortunately.

/ Carpenter Bees ... #27  
I do not believe that

Permethrin​

has been mentioned ,, yet,,

I mix 1/2 ounce of this in a 32 oz spray bottle,,
I have seen the carpenter bees drop almost like they were hit with 22LR shot.

This spray is great on stink bugs,, etc,,
I spray it around the house eves in the fall, to eliminate spiders (we are overrun with spiders in the fall)

I have used this on hornet nests, ground bees,, any insect that I am tired of,,

When you calculate the per quart cost,, this stuff is cheap fun for insect hunting,,

/ Carpenter Bees ... #28  
Chlordane.
Growing up my grandfather next door bought it by the drum. He sprayed everything with it. We never had bees, stink bugs, powder postbeetles, termites ... anything. Then it was outlawed.
I can still picture him spraying fruit and nut trees with it raining down on him! (He was a doctor, lived to be quite old).
I'd love to drive south to Mexico and sneak some back!
The best stuff.

/ Carpenter Bees ...
When you used the brake cleaner was it the chlorinated stuff? I have never seen any flying insect able to resist chlorinated hydrocarbons of any sort. Brakleen comes in two types, chlorinated and non-chlorinated.
Eric
I’ve tried a couple of brands, not sure if chlorinated or not. I hit one today with chain cleaner ( a bit like brake cleaner ) , little bugger dropped out the sky then buzzed around furiously on its back for about a minute ……. then flew away. I thought it was dying, in agony but turns out it was just rolling around laughing at me!!

/ Carpenter Bees ...
I do not believe that

Permethrin​

has been mentioned ,, yet,,

I mix 1/2 ounce of this in a 32 oz spray bottle,,
I have seen the carpenter bees drop almost like they were hit with 22LR shot.

This spray is great on stink bugs,, etc,,
I spray it around the house eves in the fall, to eliminate spiders (we are overrun with spiders in the fall)

I have used this on hornet nests, ground bees,, any insect that I am tired of,,

When you calculate the per quart cost,, this stuff is cheap fun for insect hunting,,
Tried that too 😞