Can we get a better way to fight spam threads? And what does reporting do?

/ Can we get a better way to fight spam threads? And what does reporting do? #22  
Yeah we could do that if we had a few more volunteer moderators.
I could look at some posts daily and look for spam. I'm basically at the PC 8-10 hours a day 5 days a week and 1/2 that on weekends anyway.
Posters would get an email telling them their post was waiting for review. Could be frustrating for some - like for the emergency help needed posts.

Last edited:
   / Can we get a better way to fight spam threads? And what does reporting do? #23  
I could look at some posts daily and look for spam. I'm basically at the PC 8-10 hours a day 5 days a week and 1/2 that on weekends anyway.
Posters would get an email telling them thier post was waiting for review. Could be frustrating for some - like for the emergency help needed posts.

The topic of spam has been around since the beginning of this forum and we've gone through periods where we had it mostly eliminated, and then periods where we were overrun. We already reject thousands of spammers per month automatically and manually reject another 500+ but still some gets through.

I think manual approval of the first post only would be sensible and not too inconvenient for new members.

/ Can we get a better way to fight spam threads? And what does reporting do? #24  
The topic of spam has been around since the beginning of this forum and we've gone through periods where we had it mostly eliminated, and then periods where we were overrun. We already reject thousands of spammers per month automatically and manually reject another 500+ but still some gets through.

I think manual approval of the first post only would be sensible and not too inconvenient for new members.
Just out of curiosity, how many new members are joining per day? I understand if that's a number you would prefer not to post.

/ Can we get a better way to fight spam threads? And what does reporting do? #25  
Just out of curiosity, how many new members are joining per day? I understand if that's a number you would prefer not to post.
It's about 40 per day average real users. About 300 spam registrations per day are rejected automatically and then a handful get through.

/ Can we get a better way to fight spam threads? And what does reporting do? #26  
It's about 40 per day average real users. About 300 spam registrations per day are rejected automatically and then a handful get through.
Hey, how about a new website venture for you:

SBN

SpamByNet

🙃

/ Can we get a better way to fight spam threads? And what does reporting do? #27  
If it’s spam ignore it. Without a reaction it’s soon history.

/ Can we get a better way to fight spam threads? And what does reporting do? #28  
If it’s spam ignore it. Without a reaction it’s soon history.
i don't think that's how spam works. i've ignored spam for 25 years in my email and it's only increased. I don't respond, I delete to keep my inbox clear, but more and more keep coming in.
The worst part about the spam filters is they flag good conversations and allow the junk through. Very frustrating.

/ Can we get a better way to fight spam threads? And what does reporting do? #29  
One forum I frequent bans the username of the spammer. Now bots create username registration by the dozen !? So now they ban the IP# but there are ways around that now too. Fighting spam is full time job on a forum. Thank you all for what you do. (y)

/ Can we get a better way to fight spam threads? And what does reporting do? #30  
One minor problem with the current method of reporting is that you need to click and load the spam post. The spammers images are downloaded, including tracking images, and therefore counts as a click as the image is loaded. So the spammer gets a plus as they got a click and can report that to their advertiser of the product. Mostly one can tell from the title that a post is spam. What would be nice would be the ability to report it as spam without clicking the topic so nothing is loaded.

Mike
Uhh, well somebody is going to have to click on it to actually judge that it is spam. What about suspending the post immediately after the 1st spam report until an administrator has assessed it? That way there are only 2 clicks. It strikes me that may be doable in the system. :unsure:
DANGER that this could be used abusively by a member for anything they dont agree with.

Last edited: