Calling all residential electricians

/ Calling all residential electricians #12  
Rather than add a night light to the switch, I would change the overhead fixture. We have bathroom fan/light fixtures that include a night light. It is amazing how well a small night light in the ceiling fixture lights up the room.

Doug in SW IA

/ Calling all residential electricians
Thanks grs but the house has decora switches.

The incoming feed to the fan switch needs to be powered from the load side of the gfci. Right now it’s being powered by incoming line side

View attachment 848876
Winner.... Thanks

I tried this this am and all is good. I may decide just to add a receptacle below cuz it is an open inside bay.
Thanks all!

/ Calling all residential electricians #15  
Glad you got it fixed. But those lighted covers come in toggle and decora style. Just have to scroll thru site.

/ Calling all residential electricians #17  
The reason it tripped was due to uneven load thru gfci. The neutral was running thru gfci, but the fan positive wire was not. Now that you rerouted fan feed, its all balanced.

/ Calling all residential electricians #18  
Too late for this thread, but this is what I use: plugin switch - Image Search

Screenshot 2024-01-28 12.56.46.png
Screenshot 2024-01-28 12.57.34.png
Screenshot 2024-01-28 12.58.07.png

Plug the nightlight into the plugin switch.

Last edited:
Glad you got it fixed. But those lighted covers come in toggle and decora style. Just have to scroll thru site.
I see the decora highlight now but I'll pass at $28.48 with shipping. thanks again tho

After all that, I'm going to add a receptacle below instead of that funky plug combo. It just looks weird. Thanks all