Oil & Fuel BX Fuel Filter Change Lessons Learned

/ BX Fuel Filter Change Lessons Learned #1  

thavil

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota BX24
Before I changed both fuel filters on my BX24 today, I had searched a few different times on TBN for a good thread on what to expect during the service. I really didn't find one that explained any details for those of us that are sorta mechanically challenged. Even reading the operators manual on changing the filters, it says to have your dealer perform the service. I knew it couldn't be that hard and it wasn't. This thread it just to document what lessons learned I encountered that may help others perform this service. I went ahead and changed both of my filters at the 200 hour mark because I saw same black junk in the filters. I probably could have waited until the 500 hour mark as stated in the manual but didn't want to "have to" change the filters because of an actual loss of power.

1. If you have a Bro-Tek rear skid plate, it will have to be removed to access the rear fuel filter.

2. To access the fuel filter on the left side of the engine, the shroud must be removed. I had never removed the shroud, oil filter and air filter is accessible to change without removing the shroud.

3. To remove the shroud, the grill guard must be removed. If never removed before, get a breaker bar of some sort, the bolts are very tight from the factory. The bolts take a 10mm allen wrench. Luckily, I had done a search on what size I needed before I started. It's not stated in the manual on what size you need. When I put the grill guard back on, I reversed how the factory put the bolts on and put the nuts on the outside for easier removal the next time.

4. For both fuel filters, they are mounted with a bracket that use 10mm bolts.

5. Have two clamps on hand to clamp down each end of the fuel filter hose.

6. Have a drip pan under the working area. Even if you have the hose clamped down well, you will get some fuel leakage while removing the filter.

7. On my tractor, each fuel filter was hard to remove. The small clamps that hold the hose to the filter nipples were hard to access. They were put on in a position that was hard to access with my pliers. Also, the hoses were hard to get loose but I was finally able to twist them loose.

8. Once the old filter is off, put the bracket around the new filter and put the hoses on both ends. Place the small clamps up against the filter but make sure you put them in a postion that will make it easier for the next removal.

9. Once both filters have been replaced, I would recommend to not immediately put on your rear skid plate or shroud, just in case one of the filters leak.

10. Bleed fuel lines. This is the easiest part of the process. Turn the ignition to the first position (Run) for 30 seconds and you will hear some gurgling. After 30 seconds in the Run position, start the tractor and let it run for 30 seconds. Turn the tractor off and put everything back on that you took off.

/ BX Fuel Filter Change Lessons Learned #2  
Thank you for the detailed process...Saved this one.

Don

/ BX Fuel Filter Change Lessons Learned #3  
Thanks!

I don't have a BX, but a ZD326 diesel zero-turn. Coming up on it's 50 hour service soon. Some of your advice still applies.

/ BX Fuel Filter Change Lessons Learned #4  
Thanks for the tips. I am getting ready to do 50 hr service on by BX, and it puzzeld me why the manual gave instructions on changing fluids, filters and the pump screen, but said see dealer for fuel filter. This site has been great for this rookie. :D

/ BX Fuel Filter Change Lessons Learned #5  
Excellent step by step advice. Just a reminder to be exceptionally clean around those open hose ends. Wouldn't hurt to make sure they are thoroughly clean before taking them loose from the old filter. ANY dirt :eek: is a big time enemy for the injector pump.

kj

/ BX Fuel Filter Change Lessons Learned #6  
Geat write up

add to the top pf the lost to put vise grip on hose from tank to slow the flow while doing filter's change

and add to remove the vise grio in the end (dont ask how I know about this part)

tom

/ BX Fuel Filter Change Lessons Learned #7  
Great advice.
The only things I would add is that I was able to change mine without removing the rear Bro-tek skid plate, but it was definitely a pain. I also was able to get the shroud off without removing the grill guard, but that required removing the 45 degree elbow off the exhaust pipe. I also broke one of the clamps. My advice would be to buy some clamps when you buy the filters in case you break on as I did.

/ BX Fuel Filter Change Lessons Learned
It's great to read that some have gained from my experience with changing the fuel filters. Also want to thank those that have added the great advice of their experiences. Keep them coming, it will help others out greatly.

The advice of thoroughly cleaning around the hose ends was something I didn't think about too much. I did wipe down the filter but not sure how well. Hopefully, I won't have any issues.

Clamping the fuel hose near the tank is another great idea that I didn't think about. Removing the clamp after the service is another great suggestion just like lowering the ROPS while backing under a 7' garage door opening (doesn't work too well)!:D

I looked at attempting the filter change without removing the skid plate but my shoulders and hands started to hurt just thinking about it! Great advice about having spare hose clamps, I didn't have any on hand.

/ BX Fuel Filter Change Lessons Learned #9  
Geat write up

add to the top pf the lost to put vise grip on hose from tank to slow the flow while doing filter's change

and add to remove the vise grio in the end (dont ask how I know about this part)

tom

Vise grips will work, but be careful, the rough edges can cut the rubber hose. I purchased radiator hose clamp pliers (see picture) for all jobs like this. They are made for use on rubber hoses...therefore, no cutting.

Deano

Attachments

• Hose pliers.JPG
    Hose pliers.JPG
    513.9 KB · Views: 1,115
   / BX Fuel Filter Change Lessons Learned #10  
Vise grips will work, but be careful, the rough edges can cut the rubber hose. I purchased radiator hose clamp pliers (see picture) for all jobs like this. They are made for use on rubber hoses...therefore, no cutting.

Deano

That's a great idea along with long red ribbon like planes have on pitot tubes so I remember to remove it.

tom