Oil & Fuel BX Fuel Filter Change Lessons Learned

/ BX Fuel Filter Change Lessons Learned #21  
I don't understand why a BX would need 2 filters when my B26 only requires one.
I am wondering the same. The question in my mind is why does the fuel pump on the BX need the filter in front of it? I wonder if the B series fuel pump is different? Maybe the BX fuel pump is more susceptible to clogging?

/ BX Fuel Filter Change Lessons Learned #22  
The electric fuel pumps do not work well with crap in the check valves or dirt keeping the slug in the pump from moving. the diaphragm lift pumps are a little more forgiving.

David

/ BX Fuel Filter Change Lessons Learned #23  
The electric fuel pumps do not work well with crap in the check valves or dirt keeping the slug in the pump from moving. the diaphragm lift pumps are a little more forgiving.

David
Thanks David. I wonder if that is indeed the difference between the pumps on the B vs BX?

/ BX Fuel Filter Change Lessons Learned #24  
Where is the fuel pump at on the B's?

/ BX Fuel Filter Change Lessons Learned #25  
My dealer shop informed me that the filter ahead of the engine injector pump is strictly to protect that vulnerable close tolerance element in case something gets through the first filter and/or the booster pump comes apart. I was able to replace the filter under the cowling w/o removing it, but it was difficult enough that I moved it down under with the first filter. Even the hoses were the right length when reversed. I use steel body filters instead of the OEM plastic ones (more insurance from damage). I also installed a valve ahead of the first filter to eliminate trying to clamp the hose off. If I ever leave the tractor setting out somewhere I can turn off the valve and then defy someone to drive it off as the key is pretty easy to circumvent and they are all the same combination. I have never found debris in the second filter even when clogging of the first one stalls the engine. I am looking for a spin off cartridge type that will fit in the space down under, but it is not a priority. I do not have under body armor yet. Thinking on something easy to remove as I now have the first chewed up fan to replace.

Ron

/ BX Fuel Filter Change Lessons Learned #26  
My dealer shop informed me that the filter ahead of the engine injector pump is strictly to protect that vulnerable close tolerance element in case something gets through the first filter and/or the booster pump comes apart. I was able to replace the filter under the cowling w/o removing it, but it was difficult enough that I moved it down under with the first filter. Even the hoses were the right length when reversed. I use steel body filters instead of the OEM plastic ones (more insurance from damage). I also installed a valve ahead of the first filter to eliminate trying to clamp the hose off. If I ever leave the tractor setting out somewhere I can turn off the valve and then defy someone to drive it off as the key is pretty easy to circumvent and they are all the same combination. I have never found debris in the second filter even when clogging of the first one stalls the engine. I am looking for a spin off cartridge type that will fit in the space down under, but it is not a priority. I do not have under body armor yet. Thinking on something easy to remove as I now have the first chewed up fan to replace.

Ron
Hi Ron! Yeah, when I replaced the filters, the first was pretty dirty... causing the loss of power. The second was clean. Replaced it anyways. On the ignition keys, I was told by our dealer that they are all the same. I don't know if that means for all BX's or all Kubotas! :eek:

/ BX Fuel Filter Change Lessons Learned #27  
Where is the fuel pump at on the B's?

Should be similar to the D1105 on my RTV-1100 with a engine driven diaphragm pump on side of block. The two Super Minis I have a D902 and D782 on the BX2230 and the G2160 do not have engine driven pumps and use electric or electronic as they were called when they came out.

David

/ BX Fuel Filter Change Lessons Learned #28  
I really appreciate the "B" filter on my 3350 and my previous 2620 as they have a fuel shut off that kicks in when you remove the bowl. The only real pain is changing out the filter element as it is rather a tight fit. The two "O" rings that you need should be included with the filter but they are not. Must be a profit center for the dealers/Kubota!

/ BX Fuel Filter Change Lessons Learned #29  
I really appreciate the "B" filter on my 3350 and my previous 2620 as they have a fuel shut off that kicks in when you remove the bowl. The only real pain is changing out the filter element as it is rather a tight fit. The two "O" rings that you need should be included with the filter but they are not. Must be a profit center for the dealers/Kubota!

Why can't you use the old o-rings?

/ BX Fuel Filter Change Lessons Learned #30  
I have put that B series filter on the RTV, BX and the G, replacing the inline filter.

You can reuse the O rings if they are in good shape but you need to have a set around as the inner one is easy to loose.

David