Buying Advice Buying a garden tractor

/ Buying a garden tractor #1  

sleuth

Silver Member
Tractor
between tractors
Just sold my Ford 881 after 8 years. It was the perfect tractor for my 20 acre mini farm. Now my family is moving south and unfortunately I’ve had to downsize to 1 acre.

My new place has a sloped yard as it’s on the side of a mountain in Alabama. I’ve convinced my wife that in exchange for moving to a bigger home/smaller yard that I would get a chance to get a fully decked out “garden tractor”. Basically I’m looking for something that will be used primarily for mowing 1 acre but I also want a loader and a mini 3 point hitch for gardening and light construction. For fun I want a backhoe as well.

A friend suggested the Kubota BX series but to be honest it looks like a mower and to be honest a little boring. I want something small that “looks” like a tractor, though as nails, reliable but also easy to work on. Also something newer than a vintage 50s tractor. lol

Probably buying used. Would like to hear your suggestions.

/ Buying a garden tractor
Also thinking I would like 4wd and power steering.

/ Buying a garden tractor #3  
I think you have talked yourself out of most normal options because of looks, at least based on usual classifications. The BX is considered a sub-compact, and heavier duty than a garden tractor (which would be something like a Deere X500 or X700 series). Garden tractors can have 3-pt hitches and PTOs, but I've never seen a backhoe on one, or a front loader that was much more than a toy. So really, what you described *is* the Kubota BX or one of its competitors, since they are not much bigger than a garden tractor but give you a capable loader and backhoe. They can still mow yards very well.

If the BX doesn't look legit enough for you, then you'll need to step up to a compact tractor. But now you're getting into machines that are not great for mowing small properties. Certainly not finish mowing on a nice lawn. A lot of people have a riding mower and a compact tractor for that reason.

The first tier of compacts above a BX don't look any more macho than the BX if you ask me. Small chassis, small tires, etc. If you want something that really looks like a macho tractor, you're talking 30HP and up, and definitely too large to be mowing a lawn with. And in my opinion, much too large for 1 acre.

If you ask me, what you described for needs paints a bullseye on a BX. I wouldn't let the looks scare you off. They are really capable little machines. Worst case scenario, let your wife operate it! I am sure she won't care what it looks like and will have a blast!

I think you have talked yourself out of most normal options because of looks, at least based on usual classifications. The BX is considered a sub-compact, and heavier duty than a garden tractor (which would be something like a Deere X500 or X700 series). Garden tractors can have 3-pt hitches and PTOs, but I've never seen a backhoe on one, or a front loader that was much more than a toy. So really, what you described *is* the Kubota BX or one of its competitors, since they are not much bigger than a garden tractor but give you a capable loader and backhoe. They can still mow yards very well.

If the BX doesn't look legit enough for you, then you'll need to step up to a compact tractor. But now you're getting into machines that are not great for mowing small properties. Certainly not finish mowing on a nice lawn. A lot of people have a riding mower and a compact tractor for that reason.

The first tier of compacts above a BX don't look any more macho than the BX if you ask me. Small chassis, small tires, etc. If you want something that really looks like a macho tractor, you're talking 30HP and up, and definitely too large to be mowing a lawn with. And in my opinion, much too large for 1 acre.

If you ask me, what you described for needs paints a bullseye on a BX. I wouldn't let the looks scare you off. They are really capable little machines. Worst case scenario, let your wife operate it! I am sure she won't care what it looks like and will have a blast!

Not opposed to a BX. Just wondered what else might be available. Looks is way down on the priority list but if I find two options and all else being equal, I’d go for the one I like. lol

One question about the BX - with tires that size, how well do they operate in slick wet conditions and/or on gentle to medium slopes?

/ Buying a garden tractor #5  
Definitions vary with your upbringing. Wifey (a farm girl) told her cousin we were getting a new garden tractor back in 2012. It was a Kubota L3200.

Definitions vary with your upbringing. Wifey (a farm girl) told her cousin we were getting a new garden tractor back in 2012. It was a Kubota L3200.

Mine really is for gardening and landscaping - carrying mulch around, materials, digging, grading, and of course, mowing.

/ Buying a garden tractor #7  
Pretty much every manufacturer makes a subcompact....Massey, JD, TYM, LS, Kioti, Branson.... Some are more pricey than others, some 20 hp, others 25 hp, most can have BHs. Every one has the option of a mid mount mower (MMM). Shop around, sit on them to see which is comfortable, see what comes standard.

/ Buying a garden tractor #8  
I had a bx2370, it would climb and traverse my front hill quite easily while I mowed. Even did cross slope farther down than my current tractor due to the pucker factor.

/ Buying a garden tractor #9  
   / Buying a garden tractor #10  
Get a Yanmar with the sexy gold wheels!