bushhog experience

/ bushhog experience #1  

SMiller13

Tractor
RK55
We looked around for a 72" bushhog for the tractor. Picked up a "Bushhog BH-216-2".

IMG_1053.JPG

The model delivered had a chain front skirt:

IMG_1060.JPG

I mistakenly thought it would have a chair rear skirt too but this has a thin metal skirt bolted to the body (see picture 1). The rear skirt does not inspire confidence it will last. They want almost $1000 to buy a rear chain skirt so I guess that's not happen for now.

We had a little over an hour on the bushhog and stopped. When we went to start up again, the clutch was off the gearbox and resting on the deck. The tapered bolt, washer and nut are missing:

IMG_1056.JPG

IMG_1057.JPG

It appears that we were very, very lucky. The dealer is coming out to pick up the bushhog and take it to the shop for repairs.

Stay tuned for the next episode .......

/ bushhog experience #3  
How disappointing.

/ bushhog experience #4  
Well, good thing that PTO shaft didn't separate while it was full bore 540 RPM. It would've been an experience you'd never forget.

When I used to work on a farm, the old man didn't slide the coupler on all the way onto the tractor for a hay baler. Well, 10 minutes into using the baler, it disconnected and man what a racket! Luckily it disconnected from the tractor, not from the baler, or it would've been even more interesting.

/ bushhog experience #5  
That missing bolt is on the dealer. I don’t think the driveshaft comes installed.
The rear guard is OK, works well just gets beat up backing into brush and trees.

/ bushhog experience
That missing bolt is on the dealer. I don’t think the driveshaft comes installed.
The rear guard is OK, works well just gets beat up backing into brush and trees.

For the price involved in the rear chain skirt, I'm tempted to try my hand at fabbing one up. How hard could it be (famous last words). :)

Last edited:
   / bushhog experience #8  
We looked around for a 72" bushhog for the tractor. Picked up a "Bushhog BH-216-2".
I believe you actually have a BH216, Not BH-216-2 as I believe that the -2 means 2 gear boxes on some of their older models.

EDIT: I just checked their website and see the -2 is the upgraded version,
"Building on the success of the original BH210 Series, the New, Updated BH210-2 Series Rotary Cutters combine the legacy and reputation of Bush Hog®‘s Single-Spindles with new, innovative design updates."

I have the 5' version, BH215 or maybe it's a BH215-2, not sure, looks just like the current pictures and description.
The model delivered had a chain front skirt:

I mistakenly thought it would have a chair rear skirt too but this has a thin metal skirt bolted to the body (see picture 1). The rear skirt does not inspire confidence it will last. They want almost $1000 to buy a rear chain skirt so I guess that's not happen for now.
The Rear chain is an option, The front may be as well but when I was looking, they all had the front one, I made sure the one I was buying (Shipped in from another dealer lot) had the rear chains.
We had a little over an hour on the bushhog and stopped. When we went to start up again, the clutch was off the gearbox and resting on the deck. The tapered bolt, washer and nut are missing:

It appears that we were very, very lucky. The dealer is coming out to pick up the bushhog and take it to the shop for repairs.
Wow! I agree, that was a dealer prep failure. I have used mine about 20 hours and no issues at all. Some of that was on pretty big brush, some oak, probably 2" plus.

Last edited: