Building my barn!

/ Building my barn!
Is that a "World Wide Steel Building"?

I like it! Looking good!
Yep! Ordered it from WWSB last summer, got it in the fall and sat around waiting for concrete over the winter.

So the plan this weekend is to finish framing and bracing the sidewalks, which will have me ready for trusses. I’ve been looking at at lot of alternatives for lifting the 40’ long, 380lb roof trusses. The peak is just shy of 19’ above floor height, so if I wanted to pick from the middle I’d need at least 25’ lift to account to straps and rigging. My first thought was boom lift - but the site considerations are challenging - not a lot of flat or level space around the building.

So I’m thinking a more manual approach - material lift/roust-a-bout. My local rental center has some that can reach 25’ and lift 500lbs. Considering some safety factor and just my general nervousness about anything that tall and skinny, I’m thinking about getting two of them, slinging them at roughly the 1/3rds along the top chord, and doing a two point lift. I’m not seeing any fatal flaws with this plan, but I’d love to get some feedback.

I’ve seen videos on YouTube of folks using these lifts for wood trusses, but they have the benefit of a flat straight bottom chord - mine follow the slope of the top chord for a vaulted ceiling.

/ Building my barn! #32  
Yes sir!

Sorry for the late reply!
When I built mine, I rented a boom lift to set the roof trusses. My peak was 23' and my width was 40' like yours. I used the forks through the truss and then ratchet strapped it to secure it. That did just fine.

Best of luck!

/ Building my barn!
Been a bit slow lately due to travel and bad weather. But Friday should be the big day! I’m heading to the rental center tomorrow evening to rent this guy - I’ll use a pair of sling straps to pick up the trusses and raise them up about 12’ (18’ at the peak).

1687969395196.jpeg

I’m going to have the trusses placed directly below their install locations so I minimize the need to move at all once they are suspended. I’ll get it up, throw in a couple pins, and bolt them up. I was worried about stability of the trusses before purlins go on, but I did a ground level test and I think they will be just fine for the short time between lifts. Steel is a lot more stiff (obviously!) than equivalently long wooden trusses.

Hopefully some good progress pics to share in a couple days!

/ Building my barn! #34  
Just build a round building no problem with the wind
In places were hurricanes hit only thing left standing
were the round buildings I found this info on the net

willy

/ Building my barn! #35  
Been a bit slow lately due to travel and bad weather. But Friday should be the big day! I’m heading to the rental center tomorrow evening to rent this guy - I’ll use a pair of sling straps to pick up the trusses and raise them up about 12’ (18’ at the peak).

View attachment 808257

I’m going to have the trusses placed directly below their install locations so I minimize the need to move at all once they are suspended. I’ll get it up, throw in a couple pins, and bolt them up. I was worried about stability of the trusses before purlins go on, but I did a ground level test and I think they will be just fine for the short time between lifts. Steel is a lot more stiff (obviously!) than equivalently long wooden trusses.

Hopefully some good progress pics to share in a couple days!
I’d be careful Pete……those are great for compact loads.
We have 2 SLA-12s at work……yes they lift 12’ and yes they do about 500 pounds. I told my boss nothing over 14’ wide will be lifter higher than 9’. The leverage available on something really long is amazing!!

/ Building my barn!
Day one of roof installation was a good learning experience. Overall it went well, but slower than expected (which I should have expected!).

The material lift I rented was better than hoped. It rolled well, was stable, and the winch mechanism was smooth and well lubricated. Only complaint is that it’s a ***** to tie down on the trailer - every part moves!

I used two 5000lb slings from the lifting forks to the truss. While lifting the truss from horizontal to vertical, I allowed the lift to roll freely, and places rolling carts under the truss ends, so everything could move smoothly and avoid any shocks or large dynamic loads. Once it was fully supported by the lift, I could carefully position such that the load was centered over it s final position. Then 10,000 cranks later, the truss is up! Threw a spud wrench in the holes on each end and bolted them up.
IMG_5279.jpeg

IMG_3612.jpeg

I only got two up before my helper had to leave, and it ain’t quite a solo job. So I did as many purlins as I could reach (supposed 16’ reach on a ladder doesn’t account for the challenges of placing 12’ 2x8s above your head!) and called it a day. Next time, I’m gonna have two other dudes, and I’m going to rent a scissor lift too to do all the purlins.

/ Building my barn!
Had a few buddies come over Saturday, and we managed to get the rest of the trusses up. Sure was nice to have some help - easier to muscle around the steel and good opportunity for parallel tasks. Super hot though.

IMG_3629.jpeg

Now just time to hang all those 2x8 purlins. Weather permitting…

/ Building my barn! #38  
That's a huge accomplishment and step forward!!!!!

/ Building my barn!
Here’s a couple pics from the work, including the obligatory photo of the tractor!

The material lift had to extend past the edge of the slab for the end trusses, so I build this platform. It’s a 4x8 box framed with 2x6s, and a couple sheets of OSB on top to bring it to slab height.
IMG_3628.jpeg

And a few more
IMG_3642.jpeg

IMG_3644.jpeg

IMG_3643.jpeg

/ Building my barn! #40  
That is awesome! Excellent progress.

Very nice tractor! I like Kiotis.