Building my barn!

/ Building my barn! #1  

PistolPete

Tractor
John Deere X590
After a long time planning, designing, and waiting - I’m finally making real progress on my new building. I’m putting in a 60x40x12 barn/garage/shop. I went back and forth between post-frame and steel, and eventually settled on a hybrid structure from Worldwide Steel Buildings. The columns and trusses are steel (12 foot spacing) and the girts/purlins/door framing are lumber.

I had the site rough graded (cut and fill in a mild sloped area) last year, had the steel delivered in October (I built a “tent” to protect the sheet steel over the winter), and then struggled for months to find a concrete guy to do the foundation and floor. BTW this is the one area where a steel building is WAY more expensive and involved compared to a pole barn. Footers consist of 12 “piers” under the columns and a narrow trench “frost wall” all the way around the perimeter. Up top, a six inch floor slab.
IMG_2780.jpeg

IMG_2803.jpeg

IMG_3377.jpeg

/ Building my barn!
Over the past two weeks, my concrete guy has dug out the footers, rolled the sub base and stone, added a f***-load of rebar and wire, and finally poured the footers and floor. They pumped the footers in a day (38 yards!) and then did the floor over the next two days for a total of approximately 80 yards of concrete. Don’t ask what that cost me. But they did a great job and this thing ain’t goin nowhere.

IMG_3387.jpeg

IMG_3397.jpeg

IMG_3442.jpeg

Anchor bolts for the columns were cast in place. I build some little jigs to hold them in place against the slab forms. Now I’m just waiting for the concrete to harden up over the next week or two before I can start raising the steel!
IMG_3433.jpeg

/ Building my barn! #3  
well, i'm impressed - way to go

thanks for sharing photos ... i have plans for a 30 x 40 ft barn, hybrid

/ Building my barn!
Rain all weekend, which is good for the concrete but bad for getting anything done. Plus the wife is out of town so I’m busy playing mom. Long weekend next weekend so hopefully I can get the sidewalls up. More pics to follow!

/ Building my barn! #5  
Good start

/ Building my barn! #6  
Looking good. I built a 30x40 barn in 2019-2020 and it was a great project. Following to see how yours goes.

/ Building my barn! #7  
Following along for the story and pictures. Jon

/ Building my barn! #8  
can't Wait to see it finished 😊

/ Building my barn! #9  
🍿

/ Building my barn! #10  
Looks like a great piece of land you got there, too. I’ll be following this build.