Building my barn!

/ Building my barn! #21  
I really like the size of this building. Is there any need for bracing your columns, or posts, or whatever they are called? I'd be nervous about a storm causing them to move.

/ Building my barn!
I really like the size of this building. Is there any need for bracing your columns, or posts, or whatever they are called? I'd be nervous about a storm causing them to move.
That’s a good question. Not for the time being. The footers and anchors are each designed for 7k lb uplift and 10k lateral loads - way way more than a naked framed wall will be subjected to.

Once the walls are sheeted, but before the roof, that’s the critical time. The roof steel contributes significantly to the stability and stiffness of the structure, acting as a shear wall to transfer wind loads, while the wall steel just increases those wind loads! So if there’s any delay then, I will do some temp sheeting/bracing on the roof.

/ Building my barn! #23  
I'm just a little worried that they will move before you have any of the framing installed. Once it's all together, I'm sure it will be rock solid. I just wonder about a strong wind moving them while they are standing there without any bracing. They are so tall, that it wouldn't take much to move them just a little in the wind. If they move, what will that do to the bolts or concrete holding them in place?

/ Building my barn!
I’m not concerned about that. It’s just like a lamp post or traffic light, but with a much deeper and stronger footing.

/ Building my barn! #25  
Pete 4 16' 2x4's diagonally pointed at each other (one at each corner) temporarily screwed to the (inside) on your wall girts would really be a good idea before you get to the roof portion.
Get a whole wall square and level first, then put a diagonal from the bottom of the corner "post" to the top of the next post in (or wherever 16' gets you). This minor inexpensive job might really save your bacon in a good storm and is a basic practice in all forms of buildings prior to loading them and the inevitable side to side forces of simply walking around on the roof.
Think about "dominoes" standing on end.

/ Building my barn! #26  
Most red iron buildings have diagonal cables to stiffen everything and also square the building, prior to skinning it. You will want something to stiffen it before working on wall panels. Probably the weakest, wind load wise, is once you get 1-3 wall skins in place. Around here; we do walls, then roof; might be different in other areas. Temp blocking between your wooden wall purlions will probably be needed to prevent sag, before the wall panels are screwed off.

I think I have seen single family homes around here a few times, where they did roof sheeting before walls; no me... Metal, stud; pole/post; don't really become rigid until all the bracing and sheeting is on.

/ Building my barn!
I have “wind rods”, which are x-braced 1/2 steel rods on each side wall, and then again later on the roof.
IMG_3543.jpeg

Those will go on before I set the trusses.

The manufacturer also recommends sheeting the walls before the roof - presumably because it helps keep everything square while walking on the roof. Though lord knows I’d love a roof to keep my stuff dry…guess that will just motivate me to work quick!

I do plan to use temp blocks between the purlins to keep them horizontal and twist them nice and straight while getting the panels on.

/ Building my barn!
having said that, as cheap as 2x4s are now, I may double up in the manner rusty suggested

/ Building my barn! #29  
I have “wind rods”, which are x-braced 1/2 steel rods on each side wall, and then again later on the roof.
View attachment 804355
Those will go on before I set the trusses.

The manufacturer also recommends sheeting the walls before the roof - presumably because it helps keep everything square while walking on the roof. Though lord knows I’d love a roof to keep my stuff dry…guess that will just motivate me to work quick!

I do plan to use temp blocks between the purlins to keep them horizontal and twist them nice and straight while getting the panels on.
Perfect. Assumed your package included something, and sounds like they have you covered.

/ Building my barn! #30  
Is that a "World Wide Steel Building"?

I like it! Looking good!