Building my barn!

/ Building my barn!
Yeah the columns and trusses have these “clips” that the wood framing attaches too. I’m using 1/4” lag screws … which means I have to drill pilot holes for each. Giant pain in the butt.
IMG_3858.jpeg

/ Building my barn!
It’s been a while since I posted. I’ve been working on sheeting the roof the past couple weeks. It’s a slow process to do solo … getting sheets up there is hard and I’ve experimented with several methods.

IMG_3935.jpeg

I built this little ramp and put a scrap sheet on the roof. I dragged the panels up the ramp on to the scrap, and then scooted it over into position. I had some 2x6 cleats screwed to the overhang to hold the bottom of the sheet from sliding off. Then I screwed down the edge of the panel from my lift. Later panels I screwed off from the roof

IMG_3976.jpeg

Later I took the scrap piece and screwed it to my ramp. This made it a little easier to get up there, but the leading edge of the panel digs into the ramp. So final evolution - I screwed a small bit of 2x4 to the top edge of the panel like a slider - it also gave me a nice handle to pull it up with. Again I scooted it over to its position and screwed it down.

IMG_3972.jpeg
I had some issues getting holes to line up (I pre drilled the sheets on the ground). The purlins were a little saggy or not straight in some spots. So I build these notched braces. I use them to hold the spacing while attaching the roof steel, and then I slide them over far enough to make space for the next sheet. Really helped with screw misses.

Hoping to finish this side of roof this week (it’s so freakin hot) and I’ve got some guys coming to help on Saturday to do the other side.