Bucket pin fitting issue

/ Bucket pin fitting issue #31  
Not the ears on the bucket. It's the welded on boss on the dipperstick that is crooked.... duh. The ears on the bucket are fine.

Not a mini ex anyway, it's a Kubota backhoe for a tractor. Second one I've had to fix. As hard as it is to get any parts today, better to fix it than wait 6 months for a new part.

Really sorry I posted a comment. Obvious to me that none of you know anything about it. Armchair quarterbacking is wonderful for you. Not for me.

All this stuff is new. It's a factory screw up.
I see no picture of the bucket has ever been uploaded. My take is, no picture means it don't exist.

/ Bucket pin fitting issue #32  
Actually considered gouging off the crooked boss and rewelding a new one in it's place but the pin don't rotate, the bucket does. The pin is captured with a fixing bolt on the opposite end. All I did was skim cut the pin maybe 0.005 so it would fit in the mis welded (crooked boss). Has nothing to do with the bucket at all. Just the poorly welded boss. Like I said, I have at least 90% contact in the boss and that should be plenty. You people have a fixiation with the bucket which has nothing to do with the issue at all. Bucket is fine, other boss is fine too. Bucket is square with the dipperstick at all times in all angles. I want to do as little damage to the new dipperstick as possible and I don't want to be doing extensive refinishing after the fact either.

Told you how I fixed it and the dealer was 100% happy with it too. Just a piece of equipment for me. Nothing more. I have no dog in the game as far as the customer is concerned, don't even know who bought it and really don't care. It will be fixed tomorrow and back to the dealer so he can assemble the dipperstick to the upper arm and send it on it's way. Customer is anxious anyway, he waited months for the backhoe as it was. I have other stuff to work on and I'm not making a career out of a simple fix. Why I get this stuff in the first place. Do a ton of this stuff all the time, I get to fix factory screw ups.

I'm done here. Have a nice day. Not appreciative of armchair quaterbacks in the first place. This is a business for me, not a hobby.

Man, if I had an armchair, I would tell you how to do this properly. But, I don't even have an armchair. So I cant be of much use to you today.

/ Bucket pin fitting issue #34  
Are you saying the bushing hole size was not correct? As to the magnetic drill, just wondering did you see about renting one or did you want one. They sure can be handy. Glad you got it fixed.

/ Bucket pin fitting issue #35  
Really don't need to comment except to say the welded in bushing on the inside of the dipper stick where the bucket attaches was welded in crooked prior to assembly so it's not accessable. I skim cut the pin in one of my lathes so it would fit. Takes about 5 minutes to do. Done 4 so far, all on ordered hoes not on attached and shipped ones that come already mounted on the B series units. Only took abut 0.005 off to get it to fit. Not enough to compromise the assembly. Could have done this or could have done that but I did what was the most expeditious and cost effective for the dealer as I get paid what I bill for repairs and I don't need to make or overly complex because I cannot justify it.

/ Bucket pin fitting issue #36  
if this was a new machine why would the dealer not run a reamer thro the hole? 0.005 is not much but when the time comes to replace the pin I can only assume it will still not fit and the owner is again faced with the issue his machine will not work, imagine being in the bush and down needing a lathe to get running again

/ Bucket pin fitting issue #37  
Not my issue. I was told to repair it as expeditiously as possible and that is what I did. Nothing more, nothing less and again, I don't require 'armchair quarterbacks' to dissect what I did or did not do.

The dealer was happy with it, guess that is why I've done 3 more since the first one. I don't see the pin wearing out anytime soon, so long as the owners grease them per the scheduled maintenance, which is every 10 hours of use, not that owners follow the greasing schedule.

Just welded up (high temp brazed) a muffler for a Case Magnum. New muffler was 800 bucks. I billed them 30 bucks for my time (15 minutes). Customer saved a bundle and the unit is back in the field. Charge them 120 bucks to 'fix' the alignment issue per unit. About a 40 minute job.

/ Bucket pin fitting issue #38  
if this was a new machine why would the dealer not run a reamer thro the hole? 0.005 is not much but when the time comes to replace the pin I can only assume it will still not fit and the owner is again faced with the issue his machine will not work, imagine being in the bush and down needing a lathe to get running again
Because he's not a machine shop. Simple answer. Besides you'd have to use a chucking reamer which would entail setting up the part in a vertical mill at additional cost. You people over think everything. If I spent as much time arm chairing stuff, I'd never get anything done. I have a business, not a think tank. I leave that to politicians and no doers.

/ Bucket pin fitting issue #39  
when you do a repair because it was needed like the muffler thats great saving the customer money and good on you but a new machine? so what if it needs to get line bored, if it took 0.005 to fix it a hand reamer with pilot would have done the job and it would be right, right means the customer a month or years later could buy a standard pin and it works not the crap quick cheap fix reducing the pin so it fits.

on a new machine did the dealer inform the buyer his machine is not to spec and requires the pin be turned to work in the future or possibly you gave the dealer some modified pins for the parts department to sell down the road, after all he recorded the work on that serial number so he knows what size of pin is required

/ Bucket pin fitting issue #40  
I have never owned a shop of any kind, but I know you do the work for the person who hired you and is paying you. Now, the shop does owe whoever is hiring and paying him the issue or problem and options, but it is up to whoever is doing the hiring and paying to make that decision. Past there unless it creates an unsafe or labiality situation for the shop doing the work.
To me if the dealership who is hiring the work done and is paying for the work tells 5030 this is what I want done and they understand what he is doing the monkey rides on them.
If I were a customer of that dealership, I would hold the dealer responsible.

I know when I have had a machine worked on the shop has always given me options if there were options possible and let me make the decision. Yes, I will often ask them what they recommend and sometimes I go that way and other times will not. Just like I don't always accept the recommendation at a restaurant.