Brown Tree Saw

/ Brown Tree Saw #11  
After all that work of cutting - piling - burning - what will be done with the remaining stumps. I don't understand. If after eliminating the trees and there is still room to brush hog - around the remaining stumps - why not just leave the trees - use the 16 acres as it is. Obviously you will be able to brush hog with the trees still there.
Mastication could take the stumps to ground level or below.

/ Brown Tree Saw #12  
Mulching or mastication, whatever you call it, solves several big problems. First one is grinding up the trees means you don't have to physically pile them up for burning. With 16 acres, that's a lot of grapple work. Second one is the mulching gets the stumps to a level that they shouldn't interfere with mowing. Having 16 acres with stumps or holes everywhere would be a pain. Third is the mulching process leaves mulch behind to prevent soil erosion instead of raw dirt that can erode. Fourth one is the job gets done over a couple of days by a machine that can handle this kind of work. The OP won't be tearing up his tractor and spending all his free time cutting trees, moving them into a pile, and then having to take the risk of a fire getting out of hand burning the brush piles.

/ Brown Tree Saw #13  
Good advise using a forestry muncher if wanting to do all at once.

Haven’t used that kind but have really liked using the Brown tree cutter for reclaiming tree encroachment. 5’ works well on M59 HST tractor. Sometimes carry off trees, sometimes just chipping them up or de-limbing the main stem. Used it bushhog the fields last year as a test. Did okay but at 5’ takes more passes. Works on my time and schedule. Having a tool does have its benefits. Don’t miss having to chainsaw.
IMG_2772.jpeg
IMG_2776.jpeg
IMG_2790.jpeg

/ Brown Tree Saw #14  
IMG_2764.jpeg

Black walnut stump. Size 13/4E shoe. Can really tell how stumps flare at ground level. Low enough to bushhog over next time. This was before I sharpened the blades, refurbished the deck, unwinded 100’ of fence wire and replaced the pto shaft. Cuts better now.

Stump sometimes push up rocks. Think the tree cutter could tolerate rocks better than a tree saw?

/ Brown Tree Saw #15  
have a few experienced sources quote the job. then compare what you'd pay for that equip plus the hundreds of hrs of your labor.

/ Brown Tree Saw
Thanks for all the input. The tree saw cuts at ground level, so stumps would not be an issue. The biggest drawback that I have gathered is the constant turning around in my seat. I've had neck and back surgery so that would be an issue. BTW, the saw costs $6K delivered. That's another major issue! But, I figured that I would be able to sell the saw when I was finished and recoup at least 2/3 of the cost. I might check to see how much it will cost to have someone with a mulcher do it.

/ Brown Tree Saw #17  
what about a rear camera, may take some skill at 1st, but you can do it facing forward

• Good Post
Reactions: D&D
   / Brown Tree Saw #18  
what about a rear camera, may take some skill at 1st, but you can do it facing forward
I was going to say that.
Lots of backup cameras on eBay.

/ Brown Tree Saw #19  
Keep in mind that some cedar can take quite some time to rot away

/ Brown Tree Saw #20  
No idea about the saw and backing precision but the cutter is forgiving and use a couple of trucker convex mirrors. Camera could help too. Also cuts low. Big advantage is still having the grapple on the FEL.

The saw does have a clamping option to move cut trees.

Both take some serious horsepower. Any tractor would benefit with some armor and skid plates.

Expensive, yes! But there are good used ones that come available.

Old cedar stumps are $$$ used for flowerbed and landscaping decorations.