Brought 57 cub home today

/ Brought 57 cub home today
I have no real need for an old cub, but I’ve always wanted one…..
This is the second one I’ve owned. They were most well known as a special purpose cultivating tractor. Their claim to fame was the offset engine “cultivation”. I bought my first, very well used and nearly completely worn out one, specifically for that purpose.

I had lost the tractor that I first used for that job (my grandads old John Deere model M), which has been the first tractor on our farm, when my mom and dad moved onto her parents farm. They took that tractor with them, leaving me with just my Ford 8n, on dad’s parents old farm.

I tried a cheap used 2-row 3-point cultivator on the 8n, but it didn’t work so great. I picked up a tricycle front Allis Chalmers model c and modified it to fit that, but it still didn’t work so well.

Finally, I got my first Cub, that came with mounted cultivators. That worked better, but I honestly never liked the “cultivation”. That forced me to hunch over and look down at the row. I much preferred to keep my head up and sight down the rows, like I always did on the old John Deere m.

One thing I really did like that old cub for was snowplowing. I had made a plow for it, using an old one that was originally made for a riding lawn mower. I welded plates to the sides of the blade, to make it wider, and pipes to the back of the frame to make it longer.

The back of those pipes mounted to 2 holes on the back underside of the tractor under the fenders. A short chain underneath and connected to the cultivator brackets let me lift it with the tractors hydraulics. It took less than 15 minutes to install that plow, and it worked great.

While I hated the offset “cultivation” for cultivating, it was wonderful for snowplowing. You could really see what you were doing without the engine blocking your view.

Mt biggest problem with that old Cub was that it was badly worn and suffered frequent breakdowns. When I lost some barn storage area and had to thin the herd, that cub was the first to go.

My father in law had given me a real oem snowplow for it. I traded that plow to a guy for another 3-point cultivator, and that one worked a lot better than the first one I had on my Ford 8n. I sold the Cub to a coworker for $ 750.
I figured the like new rear tires and rims and the mounted cultivators alone were worth more than that, even though the rest of the tractor was worn out.

About 5 years after I got rid of that first Cub, I really started to miss it for snowplowing. I had also built a new barn, so I had more storage space available. When they put this “new” cub up for auction at work, I put in a bid of the most I was willing to pay, to the penny ($783.17). It hadn’t ran in 18 years but had very little noticeable wear.

I paid my mechanic buddy $ 445 to get it going (needed a new carb, radiator hose, tune-up, and all fluids changed), and I spent $200 on the drawbar, and $ 14 for the front light bulbs, and $ 15 for fuses.

So I now have about $ 1500 into it. One of my favorite things about it is that it is easy to haul in the bed of my full sized pickup truck. Definitely my favorite thing about it is how fun it is to plow snow with.

We got our first measurable snow of the season today. Just over 2” on the driveways when I looked out this morning. It is supposed to get up into the upper 40’s in a couple days so I’m sure it would have all melted on its own had I just waited.

I was wanting to see how the new blade and rear ballast modifications I did recently would work, so I tried it out. It worked very good. I doubt that I got more than a stone or two on the grass, while plowing the stone part of our driveway. The schedule 80 pvc pipe on the bottom of the blade did good.

It pushed very good with no chains on the tires. The rear R1 tires are loaded and have iron weights on them, plus I added a couple hundred more pounds with the big steel plate I bolted to the drawbar. Put my 200 plus pounds on the seat, and that little 10 hp glorified snow shovel can really push. I couldn’t get it to spin the tires at all, it just kept on pushing until I lifted the blade.

I’m not going to put the chains on the rear tires until the ground freezes up good, and it might not happen this winter, the way it’s looking. This thing works great for light snowfalls. The only thing I didn’t get to try was the lights.
IMG_3940.jpeg

IMG_3941.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Brought 57 cub home today #53  
Looks like a sweet little toy!

Looks like a sweet little toy!
It definitely is. I’ve done snow removal with quite a variety of light and heavy equipment, from little walk behind blowers to big heavy wheel loaders.

The Cub is more fun than any of them. The clutch and hydraulics are very smooth on it and 2nd gear and reverse give just the right speed range.

Having the engine offset to the side and the snow blade up front is really nice for visibility. The padded seat cover was nice also, and it back drags quite well.

/ Brought 57 cub home today #55  
On a stone driveway, you more than likely won't have to worry about chains until you get some ice underneath for one reason or another.

It looks like you're rear tires are running in a bit of the plowed snow. Not much of a problem with 2" of snow but guessing with deeper snow, snow may roll back in the wheel track.

Glad the PVC pipe on the cutting edge worked for you, hope it holds up. If it doesn't you can always opt for steel pipe like I did, now that you see how well it works. Good to see an idea I saw on a tractor forum (maybe this one) is being passed forward.

Don't know if you're in the path of the big storm coming this week, you may get to put it to a bigger test. It's going to the North of here thank goodness.

It looks like you've had enough experience clearing your drive, you know to push snow to the far side of the drive at the end. I plowed snow for ODOT here in Ohio for 32 years and the amount of people that pile snow on both sides of the drive then complain we plowed the snow back on to their drive still amazes me. Push it all to the far side in the direction the road snowplow travels, and the problem is solved. I even push the edge back 10' or so before the driveway to give the road snowplow a chance to clean out. You'll still get the snow off the road surface, but not like they are kicking the snow along the edge, or what's piled alongside their driveway they pushed up on there too. I've actually had people ask why we don't pick up our plows when we go by driveways, and not plow the snow back in they piled up on the "wrong side of the drive." When you explain to them to push all snow to the far side of the drive, you normally see the light bulb come on.

Worst of all are the one's that push it right back out on the road. I've stopped more times than I can remember and tell them if they are out that if someone hits that snow they pushed out there and causes an accident they are liable. I always got the same deer in the headlight look, but they quit pushing snow out in the road..!!

/ Brought 57 cub home today #56  
I think I first read about the pipe on the leading edge of the bucket back in 2009 when I first joined TBN, and I do not think it was a “new” idea then…..

/ Brought 57 cub home today #57  
All find and dandy, but all this thread did is remind me I've got to work on the 1956 JD-420C this year. 🥹

It needs steering clutches and some undercarriage work. It runs great, but only makes left turns. Getting it back to the barn was a chore after a long day on the driveway. Had to stop and go backwards holding the left brake to turn right. The left track is about to fall off because the front idler wobbles all over. I hate her, but dang, she's a fun ride. :love:

She spent her life as a pipe layer, so it has a small front blade and a boom. The boom cables are driven by hydraulic winches--One for lift and one for boom up/down. It helped move my 30T Toledo Punch Press and my Bridgeport Mill among other lifting duties. She could use some new makeup too. ;)

/ Brought 57 cub home today #58  
I think I first read about the pipe on the leading edge of the bucket back in 2009 when I first joined TBN, and I do not think it was a “new” idea then…..
I'm thinking I did mine in the fall/winter of '05. One of several of the first piddle jobs I did with my plasma cutter cutting a slot in the pipe to fit over the edge of the blade. I didn't get the plasma cutter until the Spring of '05 when I got it as a retirement present for myself.

It wasn't a new idea either, I just happened to catch a thread on it one here, or other tractor forums. You never know when a newbie will join, or old hands looking for new answers/suggestions like this. That's how I came across it, hopefully others will too.

It will be interesting seeing how long the piece of 1” schedule 80 pvc that I cut for mine on my table saw will last. There’s nothing really holding it on there other then the press fit from the difference between the 1/4” plow thickness and the 1/8” saw blade thickness.

I thought about drilling a few holes and putting bolts thru, but opted not to, because that would have taken longer than just cutting and installing another piece of pipe.

/ Brought 57 cub home today #60  
I’ve always intended to cut a piece of PVC and try it but I really don’t have that much issue with the stone and 15 min or half hour in the spring I can clean up usually the messes that I make and then what little residues left the grass grows around it and limestone tends to sweeten the clay soil so it’s not been a huge problem for me