Branson 2910i tractor dies while in use.

/ Branson 2910i tractor dies while in use. #1  

sallyb

Silver Member
Tractor
Mitsubishi Satoh Beaver 3 S373D, Branson 2910i
Tractor shows all fuses good, fuel shutoff solenoid getting 12.2 v, new fuel filter, air filter, will idle and drive about 100 ft then die, I am wondering if fuel pump or injectors are bad?

/ Branson 2910i tractor dies while in use. #2  
If it starts OK after sitting, then takes off but runs slower and slower until it stops....that is the classic sign of fuel starvation. Could be anything from a plugged vent in the fuel cap to crud or a plastic bag in the fuel tank. I had one once where the old fuel line from tank to filter was collapsing.

If it starts and runs for awhile, it is unlikely to be the fuel pump or injectors. I'd suspect the cap, tank, solenoid, filter container or connections sucking air, and hoses collapsing or sucking air all before looking farther.

The old mechanic's trick to diagnose a fuel feed problem is to hang a small container of clean fuel above the fuel pump, connect it directly to the input of the fuel pump, and see if that cures the problem.

/ Branson 2910i tractor dies while in use.
Thank you for answering,I started tractor today(Saturday) I timed it 2minutes then died suddenly, before it ran about 1 hr. then died suddenly. I turned key on and took fuel line off going to outlet side of fuel filter and diesel came out . Will try your tip of connecting fuel source to pump, thanks much, will keep you updated on progress.

/ Branson 2910i tractor dies while in use. #4  
Sally, when you said it dies suddenly it almost sounds like a safety switch or relay problem. When it dies, can you cycle the key switch and it start again?

Yes after it sits, I have been looking for fuel tank for it, the plastic filler neck broke off several years ago, the tractor is 2007. I put in part number, but get no results, I am wondering about fuel sensor in tank could be clogged? Anyway I think dropping tank and replacing fuel lines . I think the repair manual shows fuseable link. Thank you,

/ Branson 2910i tractor dies while in use. #6  
Yes after it sits, I have been looking for fuel tank for it, the plastic filler neck broke off several years ago, the tractor is 2007. I put in part number, but get no results, I am wondering about fuel sensor in tank could be clogged? Anyway I think dropping tank and replacing fuel lines . I think the repair manual shows fuseable link. Thank you,
So you do not have a fuel cap anymore? Is there anything to keep trash from getting into the tank? If not, there definitely could be trash cutting of the fuel supply from the tank.

It will not be a bad fuseable link. When that blows the starter would not spin at all.

I put a rubber stopper in tank opening, it has been several years, I suspect that is probably big part of problem trash in fuel tank , is there a fuel pick pump in tank? I believe the tank needs replacing,

/ Branson 2910i tractor dies while in use. #8  
I put a rubber stopper in tank opening, it has been several years, I suspect that is probably big part of problem trash in fuel tank , is there a fuel pick pump in tank? I believe the tank needs replacing,
No there is not a pickup pump in the tank. The fuel pulls out the bottom of the tank to the electric fuel pump. Sometimes there is a screen on the fitting in the tank but looking at the parts book for you model it doesn’t appear to have one.

Sometimes blowing air back through the line feeding the fuel pump will clear trash away from the fitting in the tank.

/ Branson 2910i tractor dies while in use. #9  
If the plug she installed in place of the fuel cap is tight in the tank opening, there is no tank vent

/ Branson 2910i tractor dies while in use. #10  
If the plug she installed in place of the fuel cap is tight in the tank opening, there is no tank vent
True but she said that happened a few years ago so something has changed.