Block heater

/ Block heater #11  
I use the wifi devices from HF and the Smart Life app to control them. I like the dual switch outdoor plug. Allows 2 devices to be set to different times. The whole wifi smart devices are a game changer for home lighting control. No longer the 24 timers the need reseting after power outages. You can find devices on Amazon and other merchant's as well.

/ Block heater #12  
look up Yolink on amazon. amazing product

i can turn on block heater on all my equipment with the phone or ipad. uses its own hub. my ford is nearly 800' from the hub and it works flawlessly thru metal shed and house walls.

also has timer or clock modes.

mine also uses alarms i placed inside refrig and freezers, wifes greenhouse and garden shed to monitor temps. i also have water leak sensors on system.

i just added controls to step heat pads i installed on front steps. they have outdoor and indoor rated plugs.

/ Block heater #13  
problem with thermocubes, it will heat whenever temp is cold, even on days your not planing to use block heater. my ford and dodge block heaters suck down between 500-1000 watts each hour they are on. thats alot of wasted power if your not planing on using the equipment.

/ Block heater #15  
OK .... I accept the contradictions .... the ThermoCube concept no longer sounds viable.

/ Block heater #16  
Also consider getting a battery blanket. I found that I have much more cranking power when the battery is not frozen.

/ Block heater #17  
Are you using the tractor every day? I’d suggest only running it an hour or two each day before starting.

But if you aren’t using the tractor every day, then I definitely would not keep it plugged in. My tractor’s block heaters use about 400w each, and at my electric rates, about $1.40/day. It’s definitely worth it for a couple hours on a cold day, but a waste if you aren’t using it.

/ Block heater #18  
A diesel truck I had I just put a 60 watt incandescent trouble light under oil pan then an old quilt & tarp over hood draped down over both sides held down with a few bricks.
I had light on a timer only as needed.
Amazing how much heat a 60w light puts out covered like that, heat rises & warms everything.
I did same with tractor.

/ Block heater
Thanks to all. I ended up finding one that allows you to program the cut-in and cut-out temperatures.
Has anyone used a heat blanket to keep the diesel from gelling?

/ Block heater #20  
Thanks to all. I ended up finding one that allows you to program the cut-in and cut-out temperatures.
Has anyone used a heat blanket to keep the diesel from gelling?

Your best defense against gelling would be to treat the fuel. They make heated diesel fuel filters ($$) which is the first area that gelling will create a problem. You would really need to be in extreme cold to require anything but diesel treated with an anti gel additive. I use Power Service in my mostly moderate climate.