Big ride on mower

/ Big ride on mower
a little progress has been made but l keep getting distracted by other things lol :confused2:

chassis went of to the shotblasters and came back looking all clean and shiny :)

IMG_6335Medium.jpg

IMG_6336Medium.jpg

IMG_6338Medium.jpg

a coat of primer and an undercoat and its getting ready to go green

IMG_6344Medium.jpg

IMG_6341Medium.jpg

IMG_6352Large.jpg

IMG_6351Large.jpg

IMG_6350Large.jpg

IMG_6363Large.jpg

/ Big ride on mower
so next l have to strip all the suspension and get that blasted and painted, l quite like that bit, while in the meantime something else crept in the workshop while l wasent looking :licking:

IMG_6360Large.jpg

IMG_6358Large.jpg

ok its a bit battered and bruised, well more than a bit really its well rotten

IMG_6359Large.jpg

IMG_6364Large.jpg

but its a start l might just weld this up and use it to get around the field, l do like the look of a gator more so the later one HPX is it ?, l have allsorts of ideas running around in my head about making something that looks like a gator but is a little more resilant to british weather maybe a gator front end on a side kick chassis with a V6 engine and auto box and a little tipper body on the back. a gator lookalike but 10% bigger

Last edited:
   / Big ride on mower #94  
Just checking on progress?

/ Big ride on mower
Just checking on progress?
not much im afraid, the workshop was needed for something else and the mower got pushed into the barn for storage, allegedly for a month but 10 years seem to have sailed by
so im going to start again as the original is so far towards the back i can no longer see it let alone get to it

/ Big ride on mower
so ive been using an old fiat tractor with a wessex tow behind mower deck for the last few years its done the job just fine but the tractor is on its last legs it over heats after 20 mins and i cant see where the water is disappearing too and now the clutch is giving up only drives in lowbox 1 and 2 now , slips in all other gears last cut of the season is done so now is the time to replace it ready for next years, now i know people are going to say just fix it but its well past its sell by date and the cab is almost rotted away,, and i like making things lol,
so i only have 4 or 5 months so i dont want to start from scratch and make a chassis etc
so heres the question has anyone use a 4wd pickup/jeep/landrover added a pto and successfully towed and mowed with it, over here land rover discoverys are ten a penny the body rots of them but the drive trains work fine, they are around 120 hp 2.5lt diesel, lowbox is 3.3 to 1 to get the ground speed down to somewhere near mowing speed, i think the pto is driven off the gearbox mainshaft so the pto speed will be what ever the engine is doing ,
can i mow at 1100 rpm input into the mower or do i need to cut that in half with a 2 to 1 box ?

thumbnail - 2023-02-06T175627.832 - Copy.jpg

thumbnail - 2023-02-07T221918.360.jpg

the victim, i was planning on chopping the wheelbase down to a more manageable 80" and drop some sort of fiberglass body on it, do you think it will drive a set of 6ft wide cutters, my old tractor was 70hp and never ever had a problem power wise ???

/ Big ride on mower #97  
, they are around 120 hp 2.5lt diesel, lowbox is 3.3 to 1 to get the ground speed down to somewhere near mowing speed, i think the pto is driven off the gearbox mainshaft so the pto speed will be what ever the engine is doing ,
can i mow at 1100 rpm input into the mower or do i need to cut that in half with a 2 to 1 box ?
You will definately need a 2 to 1 box because that LaRo engine doesnt do it at 1100hp... it has no coolant flow and it doesnt have the airflow to spool the turbo. At 1100rpm it may have 25hp without the turbo spooling. At 1800rpm youre right at peak torque where the engine runs clean, lean and cool, it will happily deliver 40-50hp in the long run. So 1.7 to one would be ideal, putting the engine at a healthy 1800rpm

/ Big ride on mower
You will definitely need a 2 to 1 box because that LaRo engine doesnt do it at 1100hp... it has no coolant flow and it doesnt have the airflow to spool the turbo. At 1100rpm it may have 25hp without the turbo spooling. At 1800rpm youre right at peak torque where the engine runs clean, lean and cool, it will happily deliver 40-50hp in the long run. So 1.7 to one would be ideal, putting the engine at a healthy 1800rpm
thank you for the reply its more or less what i imagined, i was just trying to be lazy and not put one in lol

ive got 2 options, a suzuki sj transfer box which has a low range pf 2 to 1 it might be a bit lightweight but its only turning a mower ?
or i have a gearbox out of a dodge 50 truck/van, i think its 4 speed 4th being 1 to 1 so i would have 3 low ranges, will look up what they are in a bit, ive got room for it under the rear floor

/ Big ride on mower
i think this is the box ratios its a non over drive box so ignore that bit
screenshot_844.png

so it would give me 1.6 and 3.02 sure i could juggle my road speed to make one of them work

/ Big ride on mower #100  
Your LaRo engine, the 2.5 is a 5 pot or a 4 pot ?

Industrial engines have a different governor, with an rpm corrector which gives more fuel when the rpm drop under load.
A 4 cylinder fuel pump from a tractor would be easy to find when down the road, you find the on-road governor doesnt work in a mower. 5 cylinder pumps with a speed governor is harder to find.