Best way to get diesel into the tractor?

/ Best way to get diesel into the tractor? #31  
I’ve kicked around the idea of a small trailer with some kind of attached bulk tank with a hand crank pump and filler hose. Hook up the trailer to the truck to go fill, then park the trailer as a stationary fueling location.
Sounds like a good solution, if not a very economical one.

/ Best way to get diesel into the tractor? #32  
Makes logical sense. The potential drawback is it potentially makes it easier for a thief to steal the tank with the fuel.

I'm thinking about a drum myself to reduce the storage footprint of having multiple 5 gallon cans and to avoid lifting them to fill the tractor.
I suppose a guy could have 2 55 gal barrels and get the second one filled when the first one is low and rotate them like that. I do this for my forklift propane tanks. A 100 gal tank is about $600 delivered. A second 55 gal barrel is $15 :oops:

/ Best way to get diesel into the tractor? #34  
Dual use is always good. 2 tanks for gas and diesel?
I just searched CL for fuel tanks and found a few older tanks reasonable. I love new but 100-150 gal plastic tank is about $600 delivered.

/ Best way to get diesel into the tractor? #35  
Here was my solution. It is a 58 gallon self-contained unit, pumps 12 GPM. The WM75 holds 20 gallons and burns a gallon of diesel an hour mowing. With 2 tractors and a diesel ZTR having to make a trip to fill 4 jugs every few days in the summer was getting old.

20220415_095136.jpg

/ Best way to get diesel into the tractor? #36  
A trailer mounted tank is a great idea if you already have one. This is especially true if it's also used for hauling other things. It would have to be large enough to deal with the loss of space due to the footprint of the tank. If you have to load and unload the tank, it poses the same problem as loading the tank into a pickup.

My neighbor uses a similar approach. He mounted a 30 gal poly tank on a push cart and rolls it up onto the utility trailer he uses to haul around his mowers.

Buying a road ready trailer and dedicated tank, specific to this purpose, would be a far less economic solution, especially when you consider ongoing registration & insurance fees. The money might be better spent on a skid tank large enough to accept local fuel delivery.

The best fuel storage and filling solution varies depending on usage, storage space, budget, DIY capability and how much junk you can repurpose. One size does not fit all.

/ Best way to get diesel into the tractor? #37  
Not ony does one size not fit us all but for any one person there is more than one way to skin this cat.:D
I will keep watching Craigslist for the right skid tank so I can get local delivery. Meantime I got this free 55 gal plastic barrel and a $150 in a forklift metal lift strap and dolly. I continue to use the 3/4" electric pump I have. I'll check and see what the minimum local delivery is. If it is only 100 gallons I can get another barrel locally for $15. So not much money. The barrel lift and tilt clamps on and would be easy to move from barel to barrel.
What are you guys using for fungus control in your stored fuel?

/ Best way to get diesel into the tractor? #38  
Not ony does one size not fit us all but for any one person there is more than one way to skin this cat.:D
I will keep watching Craigslist for the right skid tank so I can get local delivery. Meantime I got this free 55 gal plastic barrel and a $150 in a forklift metal lift strap and dolly. I continue to use the 3/4" electric pump I have. I'll check and see what the minimum local delivery is. If it is only 100 gallons I can get another barrel locally for $15. So not much money. The barrel lift and tilt clamps on and would be easy to move from barel to barrel.
What are you guys using for fungus control in your stored fuel?
Where I live, diesel fungus isn't an issue. Before going to my 1000 gal heating oil tank, I used to store it in barrels for many months with no problems.

My father used to fill the 1200 gal diesel tanks on his boat and store them over the winter. He never had any problems either.

I'm sure there are additives available for long term storage but I've never used them.

/ Best way to get diesel into the tractor? #39  
A trailer mounted tank is a great idea if you already have one. This is especially true if it's also used for hauling other things. It would have to be large enough to deal with the loss of space due to the footprint of the tank. If you have to load and unload the tank, it poses the same problem as loading the tank into a pickup.

My neighbor uses a similar approach. He mounted a 30 gal poly tank on a push cart and rolls it up onto the utility trailer he uses to haul around his mowers.

Buying a road ready trailer and dedicated tank, specific to this purpose, would be a far less economic solution, especially when you consider ongoing registration & insurance fees. The money might be better spent on a skid tank large enough to accept local fuel delivery.

The best fuel storage and filling solution varies depending on usage, storage space, budget, DIY capability and how much junk you can repurpose. One size does not fit all.
The pickup bed style transfer tanks hold 40-50 gallons and are only about 18” wide. It could be mounted at the front of the trailer and still still leave plenty of trailer space for other uses.

/ Best way to get diesel into the tractor? #40  
I pour mine into the filler neck, after I remove the cap, of course.