Bear attack in AZ

/ Bear attack in AZ #31  
I rest my case Re people are retards. Yet this parent will turn me into CPS for home schooling.
1687101393168.png

/ Bear attack in AZ #32  
Most service weapons (handguns) the police use are not suitable to kill any large animal quickly.
As for military 306 I assume you mean 308 or 30-06 either way the military uses FMJ ammo which again is not legal to be used by hunters. FMJ does not expand and just punches a hole. Hunting ammo is designed with a soft point to allow the jacket and underlying material (lead or similar) to expand and create a more extensive wound channel.
All that said I've had deer run over 100 yards after taking a 30 cal round through both lungs and explode the heart. A bear may well use that time to disassemble the shooter if in range. Few people could chamber another round in bolt action in the time it takes a bear to cover 40 yards.
Head shots "may" be instant or in case of my recent experience with a large determined steer maybe not. He took 9 rounds of 40 S&W into the forehead before staying down and covered a couple of miles while those shots were administered. All at closer than "safe" distances. Took 2 from muzzle almost touching for him to quit getting up after he all ready had 7 holes in his head. This was out of 16" carbine not a pistol.
Normally that 40 does the job with out over penetrating like a 308...... I will have the 35 rem on hand for the next one just in case....
Appreciate the response.

30-06 bolt action target shooting reloads with copper?… not lead.

I was thinking of the dairy farm where cows put down with a shot from a vet tool to the head and down in an instant.

/ Bear attack in AZ #33  
Appreciate the response.

30-06 bolt action target shooting reloads with copper?… not lead.

I was thinking of the dairy farm where cows put down with a shot from a vet tool to the head and down in an instant.
When you use the vet tool how accurate is your placement? if you can repeat that placement on a bear with rifle. a 22 is enough gun. Now do it while you have a pissed bear not a calm cow.
30-06 is with any decent hunting round will do the job but being sure it is an instant down and out is another matter. SO much depends on shot placement and the state of the animal.
Going back to hunting. Shoot a deer that is calm and not aware of your presence mostly results in dead right there case. Same deer all tensed up, ready to flee will run a ways with the exact same shot placement. YMMV.
I know of a black bear that was shot with a 338 Lapua at 400 yard from below and quartering toward shooter. Bullet hit left front shoulder, severed the spine and exited near the right rear leg. That bear "charged" on ONE leg down the slope and was still going when a second round dropped him about 30 yards from the hunter. Long way to go with massive damage.
If I had choice of weapons for up close with a bear give me a 12ga loaded with slugs. Or if there is distance 30-06 / 308 or better with a heavier load. I might trust my 35 rem with 200 grain with little space to cycle the lever...
The hope is always they turn and die going the other way.

/ Bear attack in AZ #34  
Shotgun was my next question as my knowledge is limited to the range at scout camp…

/ Bear attack in AZ #35  
Something like the Mossberg Maverick is a nice start. Not a 500 but almost and goes boom when asked. For a defensive (Not Hunting) the 7+1 capacity is nice. I load my HD shotgun progressive from birdshot to buckshot and ending with some slugs. Warning, real damage and BIG hole. The security is a bit shorter than field gun. Mine is not Mossberg but same concept, just an 18' barrel, 8+1 with the evil pistol grip. Very comfortable to shoot
Reasonable cost but who know if it's CA legal since not much is.
Mossberg Maverick 88 Security 12 Gauge Pump-Action Shotgun | Academy

/ Bear attack in AZ #36  
My friend, who lives in North CA, has black bear and mountain lion problem. ... he just shoots them in the gut with 22. ... he never had to worry about what to do with the carcass
He has a judgment problem.

He will have much to answer for if the wounded angry bear grabs a child in the community. After it has absorbed the purposeful non-lethal shot delivered by a complete idiot.

For his "convenience" to not deal with a carcass, he causes enormous animal suffering plus unleashes the wounded bear onto neighbors-- so it is "their" problem instead of his.

What's wrong with taking care of business in a humane and proper way?

/ Bear attack in AZ #38  
I’m guessing a single shot Western Auto 12 gauge comes up short?

/ Bear attack in AZ #39  
I’m guessing a single shot Western Auto 12 gauge comes up short?
Better than a stick, our species survived with bears for many years with less. My wife tends to carry her 28ga single. Not big but if any intruder scares easy it will do.
Seriously I carry a 22lr rifle more than anything else, handy for a lot of things. IF I get something that does not scare off with that and/or the dogs, then we bring out the bigger stuff.
Hogs are the only thing made me carry a bigger 22 cal rifle with more than 10 for a short time so far. I did have a cougar up close scream at me.... while hunting with a smoke pole. I held my only shot just in case it escalated, thankfully it did not. We both went home nervous I believe.
99% of the time black bears are more scared of you than you are of them.

/ Bear attack in AZ #40  
Police said bears are always more scared of you… but I have seen some really scared people.

Police said just looking for food inside homes.