Bear attack in AZ

/ Bear attack in AZ #101  
I lived/worked in Alaska for 22 years. From Ketchikan to Fairbanks. I knew a whole lot of guides. Not a single one - NO, NOT EVEN ONE - carried a pistol as a backup weapon. It would be either a 12 gauge shotgun or large caliber rifle.

This notion that a pistol is adequate protection is a fallacy. However - if that's the way you want to go - so be it.

/ Bear attack in AZ #102  
A rifle is a better choice than a pistol.

A pistol is a better choice than a knife.

A knife is a better choice than nothing.

I've always looked at handguns, in protective or defensive situations, as a tool that will maybe give me a chance to fight my way to my rifle. I much prefer a rifle.

I spent my first summer out of the service working as a helper for my cousin that was a guide in Alaska. When we were doing fishing trips, my job was to walk from client to client on the banks, telling them not to shoot the bears. Every man-jack-one of them had a brand new shiny monster pistol on their hip. I told them, all you're going to do is p*ss that bear off. I had my Winchester M70 in 375 H&H on my shoulder, loaded with 300 gr Partitions, and I told them if they shoot a bear, I may just let the bear maul them for a minute or two before I kill the bear. I was more worried about the clients doing something stupid, than the bears.

In our case, the bears are just after the fish. Worst case, just backing away and letting them have the fish was required. It was the "smaller", younger bears you had to worry about. The "big" bears got all the best fishing spots, leaving the smaller bears looking for fish.

I have to admit, in a couple of close encounters, that 375 did start to feel "small". Never had to shoot a bear in anger though.

/ Bear attack in AZ #103  
So loaded shotgun in the bedroom in South Lake Tahoe it is...

Only thing is grandpa's shotgun is single shot 12 Guage?

Then there is the account of the world record grizzly taken out by a 63 year old woman with a 22

Last edited:
   / Bear attack in AZ #104  
I lived/worked in Alaska for 22 years. From Ketchikan to Fairbanks. I knew a whole lot of guides. Not a single one - NO, NOT EVEN ONE - carried a pistol as a backup weapon. It would be either a 12 gauge shotgun or large caliber rifle.

This notion that a pistol is adequate protection is a fallacy. However - if that's the way you want to go - so be it.
My old boss used to joke that if you show up in Alaska with a handgun for protection the first thing that they tell you is to grind the sights off...
That way it won't hurt so badly when the bear shoves it up your...

/ Bear attack in AZ #105  
I guess a bolt action 30-06 loaded with 200- or 220-grain would not be anyones weapon of choice…

Only asking because I have no hunting experience.

I just asked my friend that is 20 years working remote in the Alaska oil industry and he said a rifle or shotgun on your person isn’t always practical… sure have it in the vehicle but he always packs his Ruger Super RedHawk Alaskan

Last edited:
   / Bear attack in AZ #106  
So loaded shotgun in the bedroom in South Lake Tahoe it is...

Only thing is grandpa's shotgun is single shot 12 Guage?

Then there is the account of the world record grizzly taken out by a 63 year old woman with a 22

If that shotgun was a repeater (pump, etc) then loaded with 3" slugs would be my advice.

It being a single shot, well that takes some of the shine off of that idea.

/ Bear attack in AZ #107  
I guess a bolt action 30-06 loaded with 200- or 220-grain would not be anyones weapon of choice…

Only asking because I have no hunting experience.

I just asked my friend that is 20 years working remote in the Alaska oil industry and he said a rifle or shotgun on your person isn’t always practical… sure have it in the vehicle but he always packs his Ruger Super RedHawk Alaskan

A 30-06 with either the 200 or 220 gr round noses sounds like the "best" from what you have to offer.

You may have trouble finding that ammo sitting on a store shelf these days.

/ Bear attack in AZ #108  
It's not so much - big rifle or 12 gauge shotgun. It's letting the bears know - in advance - that you are coming down the trail and will be passing close to where they are sleeping, eating berries, etc.

When we ventured out - on foot - we ALWAYS let the bear know we were there. If it was KNOWN bear country - like the many rivers on the Alaskan peninsula - one person carried a tin can and stick. Beat on the tin can with the stick. LOTS of loud talking amongst the group members.

Normally - the bear will vacate the area if he knows folks are coming. He will move off a safe distance and watch the individual or group pass by. There are always exceptions but it's always best to not surprise a bear with your unannounced presence.

Those who have survived a bear attack will agree - it's better to avoid than survive. A good friend on mine lost his right arm and half his face to a grizzly. They were both carrying shotguns. The bear was out of the brush and on him before either one could shoot. He was VERY fortunate to have survived. The bear backed off for an instant and his wife shot - three times - in that instant. It was all over in less than 15 seconds.

Last edited:
   / Bear attack in AZ #109  
It's not so much - big rifle or 12 gauge shotgun. It's letting the bears know - in advance - that you are coming down the trail and will be passing close to where they are sleeping, eating berries, etc.

When we ventured out - on foot - we ALWAYS let the bear know we were there. If it was KNOWN bear country - like the many rivers on the Alaskan peninsula - one person carried a tin can and stick. Beat on the tin can with the stick. LOTS of loud talking amongst the group members.

Normally - the bear will vacate the area if he knows folks are coming. He will move off a safe distance and watch the individual or group pass by. There are always exceptions but it's always best to not surprise a bear with your unannounced presence.

Those who have survived a bear attack will agree - it's better to avoid than survive. A good friend on mine lost his right arm and half his face to a grizzly. They were both carrying shotguns. The bear was out of the brush and on him before either one could shoot. He was VERY fortunate to have survived. The bear backed off for an instant and his wife shot - three times - in that instant. It was all over in less than 15 seconds.
Except he's asking about having one in his house.

The house is already there. No need to "announce" your presence. You've already brought the house there.

Hopefully neither him, or his neighbors leave any food or trash out. And, hopefully no one nearby is stupid enough to be feeding them on purpose. That would be a recipe for disaster.