Battery powered chainsaw

/ Battery powered chainsaw #661  
I just got a Greenworks 60 volt battery chainsaw with a 20 inch bar which they claim to be more powerful than a gas 60 cc chainsaw. Having only run it several times cutting 16 to 22 inch hard maple, elm and black cherry I am beginning to believe them. It cuts very fast and you can lean on it pretty hard and it just keeps cutting. So far battery lasts pretty good , my only complaint is it is heavy and at my age not good.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #662  
I just got a Greenworks 60 volt battery chainsaw with a 20 inch bar which they claim to be more powerful than a gas 60 cc chainsaw. Having only run it several times cutting 16 to 22 inch hard maple, elm and black cherry I am beginning to believe them. It cuts very fast and you can lean on it pretty hard and it just keeps cutting. So far battery lasts pretty good , my only complaint is it is heavy and at my age not good.
Wait until the chain gets somewhat dull and then report back....

/ Battery powered chainsaw #664  

The best I can tell the 60v one claims to equal a 40cc saw and the 80v one claims to equal a 50cc saw. Which one claims to be 60cc equivalent?

/ Battery powered chainsaw #665  
Only sold by Greenworkstools.com site model CS60L810

/ Battery powered chainsaw #667  
I just got a Greenworks 60 volt battery chainsaw with a 20 inch bar which they claim to be more powerful than a gas 60 cc chainsaw.
I think there are two different metrics worth consideration, here. The electrics are so torquey that I'd suspect it indeed continues pulling chain when a gasser 60cc or less might bog. That's not quite the same thing as "more power", as in true horsepower or kilowatts, a claim of which I'm dubious. But to the user just trying to get through some difficult wood, power is not always as relevant as torque, or the ability to just keep pulling that chain without stalling out in the kerf.

Did they actually use the words "more power", or just imply that the 60V saw is a suitable replacement for 60cc? What's the actual HP, PS, or kW rating on the thing? Above the 3.5 kW (4.69 bhp) you can expect from a pro 60 cc saw?

/ Battery powered chainsaw #668  
The best I can tell the 60v one claims to equal a 40cc saw and the 80v one claims to equal a 50cc saw. Which one claims to be 60cc equivalent?
Dont know which one he is talking about. But at KY expo they had a 82v that claim like 70cc.

Prob weighs 395 weight with a big batt.

We had a thread on it back in Oct on chainsaw repair group.

Comes with 20" but will take up to 28" they say. Greenworks Revolutionizes the World of Chainsaws with the First Ever H.O.G. Saw

gwhog.jpg

Last edited:
   / Battery powered chainsaw #670  
Dont know which one he is talking about. But at KY expo they had a 82v that claim like 70cc.

Prob weighs 395 weight with a big batt.

We had a thread on it back in Oct on chainsaw repair group.

Comes with 20" but will take up to 28" they say. Greenworks Revolutionizes the World of Chainsaws with the First Ever H.O.G. Saw

View attachment 834382
Second paragraph from your link: "With an astounding 4.3 kW superior brushless motor..."

If true, that would be impressive. But the actual Greenworks site does not show any 4.3 kW model, they only show 1.5, 2.7, and 3.4 kW "max power" models, each with "rated power" running roughly 15% below "max power", seemingly indicating they cannot be operated at max power over long periods without tripping a thermal overload on motor or battery. These rated powers are nowhere near 70cc territory, the top model being 2.9 kW ~ 54 cc equivalent.

Moreover, whereas these 50-70cc Stihl's classically run 1.6 - 1.8 kg/kW, the Greenworks 82V units are an insanely bloated 2.7 - 2.8 kg/kw with even the smaller 4Ah battery, not even considering the larger and heavier 6Ah battery mentioned in the article. You're talking an extra 80% (1.8x) weight, which is the single most important factor I consider when choosing any saw of any size.

Note that Greenworks does not disclose whether their weights include the bar, so that may offset a little of the difference. We all know that all other chainsaw manufacturers list weight of powerhead only on their pro models, as bars are sold separately and interchangeable, usually a dealer-select option. It seems possible that Greenworks may be selling the powerhead/bar as a fixed combo, with no ability to select a different bar size at time of order, indicating their intended market is likely homeowner/occasional user only.