Battery powered chainsaw

/ Battery powered chainsaw #791  
I don't think there will ever be a universal battery for all chainsaws, tools, etc. there is too much difference in tool designs, motors used to have one battery fit all and still keep the products design and still do what it is supposed to do. It would be nice to have batteries from one company be interchangeable with others but different companies have different tools with different power requirements
I agree. Power tool battery's have many, many differences of designs.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #792  
I don't know why that, a common design, can't be done. Car batteries, watch batteries, and flashlight batteries all have a common design, shape and fit.

It's not for the government to do, it has to come from the battery manufacturers themselves. This will only happen when consumers push for this.

Imagine having to buy a Sony charger for your player, and another different charger for your cell phone and yet another different charger for your bluetooth devices.

Standardizing batteries will make reduce the cost of them.

Richard
Have you tried to install a battery your auto uses into you neighbors?

/ Battery powered chainsaw #794  
I agree. Power tool battery's have many, many differences of designs.
This would be an excellent argument if it wasn't for the fact that other than the connection point, one manufacturer's 2Ah 18V or 20V battery is practically identical to another's. You'll note that when newer brushless high-power tools came on the scene, everyone suddenly made "high power" versions of their batteries that are capable of a faster power dump (and conversely faster charging).

Given that Dewalt or Milwaukee etc can bring out their new tools to use any of their existing batteries, there's nothing special in any of the tools that requires a special purpose battery... until you decide you're going 40V, then they bring out their standard (for themselves) 2Ah/4Ah/etc batteries which suddenly fit any of their 40V batteries.

Definitely the only thing keeping them from sharing a standard is that they've got consumers in a lock-in based on battery shape.
It's not anti-competitive since none of them have a monopoly position in the tool markets, but it's definitely consumer-antagonistic.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #795  
Definitely the only thing keeping them from sharing a standard is that they've got consumers in a lock-in based on battery shape.
It's not anti-competitive since none of them have a monopoly position in the tool markets, but it's definitely consumer-antagonistic.
While I can agree that the "lock-in" is definitely part of the equation, it's not the only thing. Engineers have designed different shape batteries in their attempts to optimize the packaging and handling of the few tools for which it was originally designed. If that weren't true, they'd all have a similar shape in the first place, which they have not.

But I would agree that they could all migrate toward a common standard, as even those manufacturers who have optimized for one original suite of tools then slam that same battery pack into several others, as their product line expands within a given system.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #796  
The companies have no incentive to standardize batteries. It would just make it too easy to buy someone else's gear.
But it also means the tools get standardized as well. The form factor EGo uses to attach batteries heavily dictates the rest of the design. Same for Dewalt and everyone else.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #797  
The fit sometimes is fairly close which is why adapters are available. This is Dewalt to Milwaukee. Amazon $15. Some are 18v to 20v, 20-20, flat to "post" style.
I have a large Dewalt collection so the few other brands I have adapters for.
Dewalt developed flexvolt 20v-60v so those batteries interchange.
2023_12_15_15.00.13.jpg

/ Battery powered chainsaw #798  
I was getting ready for the storm that is heading for the east coast and noticed an 80' tall pine tree that was leaning towards my shop. Not a good situation with wind gusts to 60mph forecast. I got out my come-along and chains to make sure tree fell where I wanted it to and got out my Ego 16" chain saw w/5Ah battery. It has always worked well for me, couldn't bog it down, never shut down due to over current/temp. Well I must have hit the ground a few too many times last time I used it. It didn't throw chips like it use to and I kept getting over current/temp shut downs. What should have taken me less than 5 minutes to cut down the tree took closer to 15 min with all the shut downs. Went to cut up the tree and gave up due to all the shutdowns. Grabbed my trusty Echo 280e, checked the fuel, low but should be enough to finish the job. I finished the cut, but had 5 more cuts before I was done. Next cut, saw died due to being out of fuel and of course there was no more premix available. I thought I was done cutting for the season. Pulled out my Stihl 270, a bit cantankerous starting but seemed to run fine once running, and it had 1/2 a tank of fuel. Got 2 cuts done and then it wouldn't run above idle!!! Grabbed my Ego 2Ah battery and made the next cut with the Ego saw. 2Ah battery not real happy running the saw, pulled the 5Ah battery off the charger and finished my cutting for the day.
Note to self, get correct file for Ego chain and keep the chain SHARP.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #799  
Sounds like you need to set aside a Saturday this winter for some saw maintenance! Very few things make me more frustrated than grabbing a tool to do a job, and then having to waste my time working on tool, rather than the job for which it was intended.

Keep at least 3 loops of chain for each saw/bar combo you're running. When one goes from throwing chips to throwing dust, swap it out. Easy enough to sharpen that chain in a heated shop on a rainy Tuesday evening, rather than wasting precious daylight hours on it when it's needed.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #800  
Sounds like you need to set aside a Saturday this winter for some saw maintenance! Very few things make me more frustrated than grabbing a tool to do a job, and then having to waste my time working on tool, rather than the job for which it was intended.

Keep at least 3 loops of chain for each saw/bar combo you're running. When one goes from throwing chips to throwing dust, swap it out. Easy enough to sharpen that chain in a heated shop on a rainy Tuesday evening, rather than wasting precious daylight hours on it when it's needed.
Couldn't agree more. I have extra chains for the Sthil and Echo saws, none yet for the EGO. I have only had it for a few months and wasn't sure if it was going to work out. I really like it and spare chains will be acquired this week. The issue is finding the correct file for the chain, it is a 4.5mm file and I am finding they are hard to come by. It might be easier to find a different chain that uses a more common file. For a while Oregon was putting the wrong file in their 4.5 mm package so I am hesitant on mail order.