Battery powered chainsaw

/ Battery powered chainsaw #801  
... The issue is finding the correct file for the chain, it is a 4.5mm file and I am finding they are hard to come by. It might be easier to find a different chain that uses a more common file. For a while Oregon was putting the wrong file in their 4.5 mm package so I am hesitant on mail order.
4.5mm is just about 11/64" - some I've seen sold are labeled one way, some the other.

On problem is that a lot of 7/32 low profile chains take 5/32" (4.0mm) while others take 11/64" (4.5mm). So just looking for a sharpening kit made for 7/32" low profile chain is no guarantee you'll get what you are looking for. On the other hand, Using a 5/32" file on a chain designed for 11/64" (4.5mm) files still gives pretty good results.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #802  
4.5mm is just about 11/64" - some I've seen sold are labeled one way, some the other.

On problem is that a lot of 7/32 low profile chains take 5/32" (4.0mm) while others take 11/64" (4.5mm). So just looking for a sharpening kit made for 7/32" low profile chain is no guarantee you'll get what you are looking for. On the other hand, Using a 5/32" file on a chain designed for 11/64" (4.5mm) files still gives pretty good results.
Thanks, I believe I have a 5/32" file, I'll give that a try and see how it works out.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #804  
Thanks, I believe I have a 5/32" file, I'll give that a try and see how it works out.
Probably a good bit of elbow grease on the first sharpening, essentially changing the grind from 11/64 to 5/32, but easy after that. I'd imagine going smaller, as suggested here, always means more work than going larger. I say that because going up 1/64 means you're instantly sharpening the portion of the tooth doing the actual cutting, whereas going smaller means you're only sharpening the "side" of the cutter, until you've removed enough metal that the file is engaging the top of the tooth at a new radius.

I use a bench-mounted chain grinder, and although I use the right wheel for the chain, the grind is never a perfect match for hand-filing. That has a similar result, more elbow grease required when changing from grinder to hand file, on that first hand file sharpening after using the grinder.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #805  
Do you use a guide or do you freehand file?

/ Battery powered chainsaw #806  
I was getting ready for the storm that is heading for the east coast and noticed an 80' tall pine tree that was leaning towards my shop. Not a good situation with wind gusts to 60mph forecast. I got out my come-along and chains to make sure tree fell where I wanted it to and got out my Ego 16" chain saw w/5Ah battery. It has always worked well for me, couldn't bog it down, never shut down due to over current/temp. Well I must have hit the ground a few too many times last time I used it. It didn't throw chips like it use to and I kept getting over current/temp shut downs. What should have taken me less than 5 minutes to cut down the tree took closer to 15 min with all the shut downs. Went to cut up the tree and gave up due to all the shutdowns. Grabbed my trusty Echo 280e, checked the fuel, low but should be enough to finish the job. I finished the cut, but had 5 more cuts before I was done. Next cut, saw died due to being out of fuel and of course there was no more premix available. I thought I was done cutting for the season. Pulled out my Stihl 270, a bit cantankerous starting but seemed to run fine once running, and it had 1/2 a tank of fuel. Got 2 cuts done and then it wouldn't run above idle!!! Grabbed my Ego 2Ah battery and made the next cut with the Ego saw. 2Ah battery not real happy running the saw, pulled the 5Ah battery off the charger and finished my cutting for the day.
Note to self, get correct file for Ego chain and keep the chain SHARP.
I was expecting to hear you had to pull out the hand saws…

/ Battery powered chainsaw #807  
   / Battery powered chainsaw #808  
Last edited:
   / Battery powered chainsaw #809  
Have you tried to install a battery your auto uses into you neighbors?
No. But last year when I needed to buy a battery for my tractor I tried to put the battery in from my pickup instead, then put the new battery in the truck.
It didn't work, as the posts are on opposite sides.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #810  
Easy enough to sharpen that chain in a heated shop on a rainy Tuesday evening, rather than wasting precious daylight hours on it when it's needed
There's two schools of thought on this. Unless I've hit a rock or barbed wire it doesn't take long to touch up a chain.
I like to run a file across it every time I fuel anyways.