Battery powered chainsaw

/ Battery powered chainsaw #811  
There's two schools of thought on this. Unless I've hit a rock or barbed wire it doesn't take long to touch up a chain.
I like to run a file across it every time I fuel anyways.
Yeah, been 'round that debate awhile, among my cutting buddies, some of whom are tree pros. There's good arguments to be made on both sides, and truly most of the pros just hand-sharpen every second tank fill, but they're also operating under different economics: sharpen on the clock, billable hours, versus spending personal time in the evenings.

I've always just carried one or two spare loops for each of the saws I'm running that day, so I can swap the chain out if I hit a buried antique electrical insulator or spike in a tree, both of which are too common around here. If I don't manage to hit anything, I'll still usually do a chain swap on the one or two saws I'm using most, when I take a lunch break mid-day. Hand filing might be just as quick, in those cases, but I've gotten awful good and comfortable with my bench-mounted chain grinder. It's always hard to deviate from that in which we've already invested time and energy in perfecting, in pursuit of something new, especially if it doesn't hold promise of any really enormous advantage.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #812  
Couldn't agree more. I have extra chains for the Sthil and Echo saws, none yet for the EGO. I have only had it for a few months and wasn't sure if it was going to work out. I really like it and spare chains will be acquired this week. The issue is finding the correct file for the chain, it is a 4.5mm file and I am finding they are hard to come by. It might be easier to find a different chain that uses a more common file. For a while Oregon was putting the wrong file in their 4.5 mm package so I am hesitant on mail order.
Buy a few files?

How long would it take to reprofile the chain to whatever files you have, either one size smaller or one size larger.

With a small file, pull up slightly when filing.

I was out browsing Friday. The local Lowes had the EGO brand, and I think Oregon chains and bars. I didn't look at files.

i am a little annoyed with the product placement at various lumber stores. We have a local Oregon only lumber store, and I was disappointed that they didn't carry Oregon brand products anymore which I believe is a local company with international sourcing.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #814  
I couldn't find the correct size locally. Amazon has files where the package is labeled correctly, but the files in the package are not the correct size. At the recommendation of someone on this site, I did find the next size larger file, it is only 0.001" larger in diameter and I have been using that file successfully.
Since getting the file and keeping the chain sharp... the EGO is now my go to saw.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #815  
I couldn't find the correct size locally. Amazon has files where the package is labeled correctly, but the files in the package are not the correct size. At the recommendation of someone on this site, I did find the next size larger file, it is only 0.001" larger in diameter and I have been using that file successfully.
Since getting the file and keeping the chain sharp... the EGO is now my go to saw.
How did you come up with the .001" larger? .001 is not much difference. Did you get the saw from Amazon? I ask because in the specs, they might say what file size you need or in "amazons suggestions to buy with it". Or if you have the chains size, we can figure out the correct files.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #816  
I did find the next size larger file, it is only 0.001" larger in diameter

That sounds almost within manufacturing tolerances. I'm surprised you can even tell the difference.

Hmmm...
4.5mm = 0.177165"
3/16" = 0.1875"

So, you're off by about 0.01".

Still within enough tolerance that you'll have the tooth reprofiled in either the first or second sharpening.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #817  
As I recall, the 4.5mm and 3/16 are essentially the same chain and file, just how the manufacturer wants to label it.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #818  
4.5mm is very close to 11/64.

If you cannot find a 4.5mm it’s better on these low profile chains to go down a size, rather than go up.

So if 4.5mm is not available, look for a 4.0mm or 5/32” file. If you used one of the Oregon file guides (the kind that clips on to the file and is roughly 1” wide by 8” long) will help you establish the correct profile for the new file size

/ Battery powered chainsaw #819  
IMO not going to matter much on these. I cant recall but think on wives battery chainsaw and pole saw I just use 5/32.

filessizess.jpg

/ Battery powered chainsaw #820  
I will never go back to gas powered chainsaws or yard machines. Get my milwaukee chains from Home Depot. Keep extras on hand just in case.