Basic Solar Installation

/ Basic Solar Installation #51  
The most efficient panel angle varies with latitude. In some locations, not necessarily yours, I suppose it's worth sacrificing some efficiency by increasing the mount angle to get better snow shedding.
The good news is wintertime calls for a more aggressive angle at northern latitudes already.

/ Basic Solar Installation #52  
And /or relatively more power in the wintertime.
True.

My neighbor's ground mount has a manual Summer/Winter angle adjustment. He stopped short of getting a mount that tracks the sun automatically due to the poor return on investment in our latitude.

/ Basic Solar Installation #53  
True.

My neighbor's ground mount has a manual Summer/Winter angle adjustment. He stopped short of getting a mount that tracks the sun automatically due to the poor return on investment in our latitude.

I can't make the math pencil out for me, either.

However, I have been spending time with PVWatts, and for us, getting the panel angle up (latitude, or up to latitude plus ten degrees or so) has a minimal impact on the annual production, but really boosts our winter production, when we need it the most.

All the best,

Peter

/ Basic Solar Installation #54  
Absolutely, LiFePO4 batteries are a solid choice for affordability and durability in off-grid setups. Your system sounds like it’s perfect for your buddy's needs, especially with its straightforward setup for essential utilities.

When handing it over, maybe check the positioning of the solar panels for optimal sunlight exposure, and ensure all connections are secure. How long has your buddy been living off-grid? Also, are there any specific challenges he's faced that you think this setup might help overcome?
JUST started. He has a trailer out there with a Genny right now, but running a generator every time you need power is annoying. So I figured I will lend him this system that has been sitting in my container until he gets electricity run.

/ Basic Solar Installation #55  
True.

I’m the same… less than 5 minutes and no tools required to pull the spring pin and clevis to the next slot