Basic Solar Installation

/ Basic Solar Installation #41  
FWIW: While it wasn't the case previously, there are now low profile vents that are permitted under solar panels.

All the best,

Peter
I did not know that.

On occasion I have used roof vents to snake or drop a balloon to clear/flush a line.

/ Basic Solar Installation #42  
I did not know that.

On occasion I have used roof vents to snake or drop a balloon to clear/flush a line.

As in all things code related, the inspector, and the AHJ, have the final say. It has been mentioned fairly extensively on various solar sites. Here's a gizmo to reroute the vent as another alternative;

I've read that some AHJs are comfortable cutting them off an inch or so below the panel, as the normal function for a DWV is to allow a pressure relief while draining, and to allow off gases to dissipate.

Our local AHJ would not sign off on them a few years ago, but they have a reputation finding issues...

All the best,

Peter

/ Basic Solar Installation #43  
Always learning something on TBN

It makes sense because I see many new installs that are offset for vents.

/ Basic Solar Installation
Great information guys and thanks for sharing.

I did not know the LiFePo4 batteries had to be kept out of the cold. That could an issue I need to think about. Snow on the roof is another "weak link".

/ Basic Solar Installation #45  
MattB 48 Volt batteries are not more than 8 times
a 24 volt system! I use two 12 volt batteries to make
24 volts. Also for the price of two of the 100 amp batteries I can purchase a lot of deep cycle batteries
that will last me just as long and with a whole lot more
power and the cold don't bother them like the lifepo4 type battteries and always have plenty of power. Any temp below 32 degree's F the lifepo4 batteries go down hill for efficency. Also the L6 batteries lasted approx
16 or 17 years. How many people live in area's that
have temp's below 0 degree's?? LOTS??? You like
to pay over a $1k for a bettery great; I will stick with
the deep cycle batteries they work for me. Plus
they have over 900 amps vs 100 amps!

INFO ON LIFEPO4: LiFePO4 Battery Operating Temperature Range: Safety, Precautions, and Common Mistakes

willy

/ Basic Solar Installation #46  
MattB 48 Volt batteries are not more than 8 times
a 24 volt system! I use two 12 volt batteries to make
24 volts. Also for the price of two of the 100 amp batteries I can purchase a lot of deep cycle batteries
that will last me just as long and with a whole lot more
power and the cold don't bother them like the lifepo4 type battteries and always have plenty of power. Any temp below 32 degree's F the lifepo4 batteries go down hill for efficency. Also the L6 batteries lasted approx
16 or 17 years. How many people live in area's that
have temp's below 0 degree's?? LOTS??? You like
to pay over a $1k for a bettery great; I will stick with
the deep cycle batteries they work for me. Plus
they have over 900 amps vs 100 amps!

INFO ON LIFEPO4: LiFePO4 Battery Operating Temperature Range: Safety, Precautions, and Common Mistakes

willy
Uh, I never said they were. I said they were 8 times capacity of the same ah 6vDC.
Watts = Volts X amps For 12 volt batteries it would be 4 times. Batteries in series doubles the voltage but the amp hours remain the same. 4 - 100ah 12vDC batteries wired 2S2P gives you a 24v 200ah battery. If you wired 4-100ah 12v batteries in series to be 48v you would have 1-100ah battery.

No, your deep cycle lead acid batteries will not last as long and especially not if you exceed 50% of capacity on a regular basis. Whereas Li can be easily cycled 80% of rated. Typical deep cycle batteries will have 500-600 cycles. Lithium will have 2000-6000 cycles.

Your use of amps instead of amp-hours is incorrect.

I used to think that it was best to stick with FLA for PV until I started using LiFePO4 about 2 years back. They are superior in every metric with the exception of not being able to charge if below freezing. They can discharge though.

/ Basic Solar Installation #47  
A question for those with roof mount panels in northern climates: How do you keep the panels clear of snow?

Ours are on a 10/12 pitch garage and south facing and they shed snow within a few hours - heavy snows they shed every 8-10".

I also use a snow broom on the lower two rows to get it to shed faster. Amazon.com

/ Basic Solar Installation #48  
Ours are on a 10/12 pitch garage and south facing and they shed snow within a few hours - heavy snows they shed every 8-10".

I also use a snow broom on the lower two rows to get it to shed faster. Amazon.com
The most efficient panel angle varies with latitude. In some locations, not necessarily yours, I suppose it's worth sacrificing some efficiency by increasing the mount angle to get better snow shedding.

/ Basic Solar Installation #49  
The most efficient panel angle varies with latitude. In some locations, not necessarily yours, I suppose it's worth sacrificing some efficiency by increasing the mount angle to get better snow shedding.
And /or relatively more power in the wintertime.

/ Basic Solar Installation #50  
I don't have a 6 volt system its 24 volt
I never discharge my batteries to 50% The solar
panels provided enough power that it didn't happen
I will be getting 2 24 volt 1600 watt wind generators

plan is to be off grid

willy