Barndominium/Shop or "real" House?

/ Barndominium/Shop or "real" House?
That makes no sense at all 😂
I used the bathtub once in the last house I lived in for 15 years. It was a 30 x 60 tub, it was too small.

The gun safe or built in shelf is a possibility. Though, I don't own any guns.

Last edited:
   / Barndominium/Shop or "real" House? #332  
I used the bathtub once in the last house I lived in for 15 years. It was a 30 x 60 tub, it was too small.

The gun safe or built in shelf is a possibility. Though, I don't own any guns.
I honestly can't remember the last time I used a tub. My previous house which I lived in 41 years had a tub in one bathroom and just a shower in the other. Only time I was ever in the tub was to change out the shower head.

/ Barndominium/Shop or "real" House? #333  
How are you venting the island oven/stove?

On bath tubs, I seriously suggest that you test run a tub before buying one.
Just, at least, lay in it for a few minutes, and see if it has a base contour that is comfortable with head and back support. I put in a very large, oval claw foot, Iron, Victorian design, used with out the legs, that was lowered into a supporting base frame and bath deck for the downstairs bath. Its large enough, for two people, but it isn't comfortable for a long soak as the upward angle on the ends don't give any back support.
I put a newer designed, fiberglass, tub, up stairs, that has a slight ramp to it. And that tub is very comfortable for a long, hot water soak.

Our entire use of the house got changed when I got married. It got flipped. The up stairs area was to be the master bed room. This is now my wife's fabric cutting and costume design area; filled the cutting tables and sewing machines.

The first floor was originally designed as mostly a guest area with a guest room. Built and designed because, I thought we would have had more guests.

Before the marriage, I'd invited many people I knew on the East Coast to come check this area out, or at least explore it, as a free stay. No one took up on the offer in seven years. I designed it with an expectation that people would visit. That is why the house got flipped in its usage. When the requested invites did come in, it was 7 years too late. The spaces had been converted in other spaces.
The guest room down stairs is now our Master Bed Room. And as people got older and had Per diem, of what they could get at the local Four Star,.. my design, started to make no sense at all. I think this is a shame of modern life, cause I wanted to wake up with these people, and make the first coffee, and omelette, or mitigate the effects of the rum, the night before, that lasted till 5 AM, while talking by a fire.

Last edited:
   / Barndominium/Shop or "real" House? #334  
How are you venting the island oven/stove?

On bath tubs, I seriously suggest that you test run a tub before buying one.
Just, at least, lay in it for a few minutes, and see if it has a base contour that is comfortable with head and back support. I put in a very large, oval claw foot, Iron, Victorian design, used with out the legs, that was lowered into a supporting base frame and bath deck for the downstairs bath. Its large enough, for two people, but it isn't comfortable for a long soak as the upward angle on the ends don't give any back support.
I put a newer designed, fiberglass, tub, up stairs, that has a slight ramp to it. And that tub is very comfortable for a long, hot water soak.

Our entire use of the house got changed when I got married. It got flipped. The up stairs area was to be the master bed room. This is now my wife's fabric cutting and costume design area; filled the cutting tables and sewing machines.

The first floor was originally designed as mostly a guest area with a guest room. Built and designed because, I thought we would have had more guests.

Before the marriage, I'd invited many people I knew on the East Coast to come check this area out, or at least explore it, as a free stay. No one took up on the offer in seven years. I designed it with an expectation that people would visit. That is why the house got flipped in its usage. When the requested invites did come in, it was 7 years too late. The spaces had been converted in other spaces.
The guest room down stairs is now our Master Bed Room. And as people got older and had Per diem, of what they could get at the local Four Star,.. my design, started to make no sense at all. I think this is a shame of modern life, cause I wanted to wake up with these people, and make the first coffee, and omelette, or mitigate the effects of the rum, the night before, that lasted till 2 AM, while talking by a fire.
Friend of mine and his wife built a house that could comfortably sleep 14. He had big plans as you did. 4 years later they sold it. No one wanted to stay overnight. I told him that he wasn't as nice to be around as he thought he was.

Friend of mine and his wife built a house that could comfortably sleep 14. He had big plans as you did. 4 years later they sold it. No one wanted to stay overnight. I told him that he wasn't as nice to be around as he thought he was.
I guess I am only concerned about building what I want. Just got out of a ~20 year relationship (never married thank goodness) and not interested in the modern woman of today. Hence the reason I am leaning towards the Barndo.

/ Barndominium/Shop or "real" House? #337  
I guess I am only concerned about building what I want. Just got out of a ~20 year relationship and not interested in the modern woman of today. Hence the reason I am leaning towards the Barndo.
I'd be disappointed in you if you did anything else.

Were I a single man there wouldn't even be a debate.

/ Barndominium/Shop or "real" House? #339  
By all means build what suits your desires and needs, it is YOUR money and YOUR home.

That said, life is strange, and may surprise you. I was in the "dating game" for probably 20 years (after being married for 7 + 2 years) and you are correct, it can be weird sometimes.

Nevertheless, I went someplace I usually would never go and was casually and off-handedly introduced to someone who I didn't expect, and we've been happily married for almost 30 years so far.

What I'm saying is don't foreclose your options. Friend of mine is also avowedly single, and he's buying a single seat airplane. He's foreclosed at least one option right there, if perchance he encounters a Sweet Young Thing (tm) who would like to go for an airplane ride, he can't do it. Game over.

Guest bedroom? Guest bathroom? If you never use it, you are out a couple of bucks. If you do have occasion to use it, you'll be very glad it was there.

(Optimist - glass is half full. Pessimist - glass is half empty. Physicist - glass is not optimally sized.)

Best Regards,

Mike/Florida

By all means build what suits your desires and needs, it is YOUR money and YOUR home.

That said, life is strange, and may surprise you. I was in the "dating game" for probably 20 years (after being married for 7 + 2 years) and you are correct, it can be weird sometimes.

Nevertheless, I went someplace I usually would never go and was casually and off-handedly introduced to someone who I didn't expect, and we've been happily married for almost 30 years so far.

What I'm saying is don't foreclose your options. Friend of mine is also avowedly single, and he's buying a single seat airplane. He's foreclosed at least one option right there, if perchance he encounters a Sweet Young Thing (tm) who would like to go for an airplane ride, he can't do it. Game over.

Guest bedroom? Guest bathroom? If you never use it, you are out a couple of bucks. If you do have occasion to use it, you'll be very glad it was there.

(Optimist - glass is half full. Pessimist - glass is half empty. Physicist - glass is not optimally sized.)

Best Regards,

Mike/Florida
I guess if I build the Barndominium it will weed out the type of women I likely won't get along with.