Barndominium/Shop or "real" House?

/ Barndominium/Shop or "real" House?
You are in the very enviable position of being able to start with a clean sheet of paper, why not make your project as disaster-resistant as possible?
Because I can't afford to build two separate structures. It's pretty simple...

If someone wants to send me about $200k, then I could probably do it.

And I'll ask again. What is the difference between a Barndominium and an attached garage? I specifically asked my insurance agent this question and he said none, as long as the shop space is not used for a business.

Last edited:
   / Barndominium/Shop or "real" House? #312  
This is just a general observation, as I have gotten older, this observation and conclusion has become clearer. It only has a marginal bearing on your build.

On the many new construction sites, visited and worked on, I've always loved the enthusiasm of the person, or couple, that want to make a house that is uniquely theirs. And I've seen some pretty crazy DIY designs. 20 years later, most of those structures didn't add to the re-sale value of the property. The land value went up, but the valuation of the structures did not, cause they could not be pigeon holed as a conventional dwelling.

A Frames fall into this, as do Underground Houses, Geodesic Domes, Barnominiums, Log Houses, Floating homes, Straw-bail houses, Box Container Conversions, Tiny houses, Church Conversions, Ram Earth/slip form, Panelized pre-stress, Deltaconics, Grain Silo Conversion, Old AG Barn Conversions, and the list goes on.

What the market wants and maintains and grows in value, is a white bread design. This has a formal front door entry, for some reason... that no one uses. Its a boosted ranch style, with a few bonus rooms upstairs, squeezed in to what was usually a rafter area. The kitchens have to be vast, triangular work spaces that blend into the "living room." These have to have stone, or faux stone, with under the counter sinks. And a central isle, that the space for everyone to eat at is on stools. There still has to be a formal dining room, that, never gets used, but it has to be there. Sometimes there is a separate, living room, that also, no one ever uses.
There has to be a guest rest room: First floor, with a toilet and sink and shower, that is adjacent to a second bed room.
Smart Houses have come under criticism because the companies that were the suppliers of original proprietary components have gone out of business. No one can fix them.

The master bath, and bed room still rules. This means two sinks and two distinct areas of personal usage in the cabinets.

And then there is closet space. As a guy, I do not understand this. I have three pairs of things I put on my feet: Casual, formal, and boots. Its the same with the clothing I wear. Two of each of the three is good in any circumstance. But that doesn't make for a happy marriage in some cases. One can never make enough space, for a woman to store clothing and accessories she never uses. Just like, I can never have enough tools.

And women, if you are married, determine if you are buying the house. They create the market. They want these things, and drive designers to design them, and contractors to up-sell, following this discrepancy of the sexes.

I didn't design enough closet space.

I should say no more.

If the plan isn't to pass on any sort of generational wealth, do as you want: Its YOUR build. :) If you want to transition wealth to sons or daughters, make a conventional house with a huge detached, open pole barn for all the big equipment.

Last edited:
No kids to pass anything on to so get to build what I want. When I'm dead, I won't care that women don't like what I built.

And as far as the A-frame design element of my stick frame house, interior-wise it's only one room that has the short walls.

I have 3 builders currently working on estimates for the house, only one was interested in estimating the barndo. So hopefully get to choose a direction soon.

/ Barndominium/Shop or "real" House? #314  
"And I'll ask again. What is the difference between a Barndominium and an attached garage? I specifically asked my insurance agent this question and he said none, as long as the shop space is not used for a business."

Out in the real world (where you, me, us, and TBN live) we know there is essentially no difference.

When you get code, regulations, insurance, FEMA and lenders involved, things get downright spooky in a big hurry.

Insurance companies can change their underwriting criteria and what is insurable today may not be tomorrow. If your insurance guy is an independent agent, hold on to him, he can place your coverage with any number of "more cooperative" companies. If he is a one company agent (works for one company only, such as Hartford or State Farm) if the HQ decides not to cover your type of building or use or maybe they don't like the color you painted it, they won't renew and you have to start all over again explaining your "unconventional structure" to companies which HATE uncertainty and are really much more comfortable insuring cheaply built stick homes, 3/2s with shingle roofs and an SUV in the driveway.

Here in Floriduh the homeowner's insurance situation is an unmitigated disaster, a total clown show, and seems to have been organized by Franz Kafka while he was on some very poor quality recreational pharmaceuticals.

My insurance has been non-renewed because: You didn't take all your hurricane shutters down and we don't think you live there full time, If you lease 15 square feet of your 4.6 acre property for an internet relay box (2' by 4', all wiring underground) that's a commercial use and we not only won't cover it but now we are not going to renew because YOU ASKED US before you entered into the deal. Turns out there WAS no deal to be made, they still declined to renew (I guess the power and phone company equipment on the property isn't a commercial use.), Your utility building is bigger than your house, that isn't acceptable to us, We don't understand how steel trusses can possibly be much stronger than wood trusses and also won't burn or get eaten by termites, so we won't insure you, Our records show your address is in a business district even though you are telling us that you are looking out the front window and see nothing but houses in every direction, our records are infallible . . . and it goes on . . . and I have NEVER had a claim in over 55 years of home ownership anywhere.

So the State of Florida, instead of doing anything to ameliorate this mess and possibly keep the citizens from getting hammered by insurance companies, is seriously talking about passing a law which would make it illegal for your dog to stick its head out of your car window as you drive around . . .

FEMA - I could get carpal tunnel syndrome relating my experiences with FEMA. I'm half the emergency response team in our town, and the pair of back to back hurricanes we just had were less trouble to deal with than FEMA. Personally, I received seven identical letters asking for information which I had already supplied, and the last question on each identical form was "Where were you born?" I was tempted to say "In a log cabin" but I have no political aspirations.

NAHB (National Association of Homebuilders) says 24.9% of the cost of the average house is regulatory compliance and paperwork. If you can do some of this paper-pushing yourself (and actually, you can) you can put a lot more of your money into your home, and a lot less into reams of useless paper which "has to be on file" and which no one will EVER look at again.

I think the key here is to avoid "Imperial Entanglements" as much as possible - every agency has their own set of contradictory rules and regulations, and if you read through them you may be able to avoid much of the garbage they insist on having - refer to my earlier comments about "It is a BARN, right?" from our very helpful building inspector.

(Lets see, the fire department says I have to trim back foliage to establish a 30 foot fire break buffer around my home, and DEP says I can't cut anything in the resource corridor, which is less than 30' from my home. I ought to let them fight it out while I eat popcorn and enjoy the show of an immovable object (bureaucracy "a") tangling with an irresistible force (bureaucracy "b".) I'm so confused . . . )

Do your paperwork first, get all the official meddlers to say yes, THEN start building.

With best regards,

Mike/Florida

/ Barndominium/Shop or "real" House? #315  
The OP is fine. He's designing and going to build something that will serve him well. And something he'll enjoy as long as he wants to. We should all enjoy the journey. I'm grateful that he started this very informative thread. 😎

/ Barndominium/Shop or "real" House? #316  
I agree, he's doing a lot of planning and groundwork, and I'm sure when it is done, he will have precisely what he wants.

I do hope that our inputs are helpful to him, if only to advise him that "here be dragons".

I also intend to do the full size cardboard and plywood kitchen mockup so SWMBO can approve it!

Best Regards,

Mike/Florida

/ Barndominium/Shop or "real" House? #317  
I would say to the OP to build what you want. It's as simple as that. Cabin or castle....the enjoyment is in doing your own project your own way. I've never seen a livable space that didn't go up in value - regardless of how bizzare the design. And so does the land. Let that take care of itself. Enjoy it until it's time to give it away.
And thanks for sharing the journey.

One of the things we did that made a big difference was simply walking through the house some evenngs after work and making a video of what had changed. We started when it was just chalk lines on the ground.... Once every week or two we would go through the whole house wall by wall.

Today, I don't have to wonder if there is a frame member where I want to hang a wall mount - or if I framed double or triple 2x6s next to a door or window opening....., or which side of a stud the wiring & plumbing runs. It's all there in the video.
rScotty

Last edited:
The columns in the 3 car garage were eating away at me for a week so I changed to 16" I-Joists. Bedroom and Den don't have full 8ft ceilings for ~4ft near the south wall but I could live with that more than the columns:

Barndominium_Floor-Plan_Redesign3-1.png

Attachments

• Barndominium_Floor-Plan_Redesign3.pdf
    57.9 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
   / Barndominium/Shop or "real" House? #319  
The columns in the 3 car garage were eating away at me for a week so I changed to 16" I-Joists. Bedroom and Den don't have full 8ft ceilings for ~4ft near the south wall but I could live with that more than the columns:

View attachment 786944
Excellent modification.

I THINK I might finally be on the path to a final Barndo config:

Barndoninium_Floor-Plan_Redesign4.png

Barndoninium_Floor-Plan_Redesign4S.png

My site layout has my Barndo and stick frame house both in there where I originally planed. Think I'll stick with that plan, no matter which I decide to build.

Last edited: