Barndominium/Shop or "real" House?

/ Barndominium/Shop or "real" House? #321  
On your drawing in post #318 it looks like water running off your roof will fall in the middle of your stairs. If you ever have to use the stairs while it's raining, it will be VERY uncomfortable. And, I have no experience with snow so I don't know it that would have a similar situation.

/ Barndominium/Shop or "real" House? #322  
Nice work on the kitchen, dining and living space (y).

Unless you've got really long arms I'd switch places with the basin/counter and closet in the bathroom (same principle as the stove, fridge, sink triangle) .

The lower floor bathroom is most likely going to used when you are in the shop so maybe put the door on the shop side?

Wondering if you have a location for all the water heaters and plumbing wall you'll need for the 2 floor hydronic systems and DHW ?

/ Barndominium/Shop or "real" House?
On your drawing in post #318 it looks like water running off your roof will fall in the middle of your stairs. If you ever have to use the stairs while it's raining, it will be VERY uncomfortable. And, I have no experience with snow so I don't know it that would have a similar situation.
I have not decided what to do there yet. There will be gutters running the full length. Those will be deck stairs, so really, only need to use those in good weather. I don't really want to extend the roof in that section for the deck stairs. It's possible I remove the stairs there and just have a balcony and not a deck, but I think for fire egress my build dept. might require them.

I'm tall enough that if I extend that roof out to cover the stairs when I'm looking out the kitchen window the roof line will be quite low, possible obstructing my view.

I'm also considering making the deck extend out farther so only half is covered. Then the deck staris would not be half under a roof with possible death icicles hanging directly in the center of them in the winter. They would be fully uncovered.
Nice work on the kitchen, dining and living space (y).

Unless you've got really long arms I'd switch places with the basin/counter and closet in the bathroom (same principle as the stove, fridge, sink triangle) .

The lower floor bathroom is most likely going to used when you are in the shop so maybe put the door on the shop side?

Wondering if you have a location for all the water heaters and plumbing wall you'll need for the 2 floor hydronic systems and DHW ?

As far as the bathroom basin, I wanted more room behind me when standing at the basin than when looking in the linen closet.

The lower floor bathroom could open to the shop, but I wanted to leave the wall next to the car lift uninterrupted, also if it opens to the shop side that has to be a fiire rated door.

I have a door openning under the stair landing, hoping I can fit all the radiant heat manifolds etc under the stairs. The water heaters hopefully will fit in the laundry room. And maybe the opening under the landing can't have a swing door as it eats up too much floor space to swing open, maybe I have a panel that is removed to gain access to that plumbing. Or an outswinging door on the other wall in the 3 car garage, but I'd rather have that wall space for manifolds.

Last edited:
   / Barndominium/Shop or "real" House? #324  
The tub is too wide for a toilet to be placed like it is. Most bathrooms put the tub on the outside wall, going the full five feet width of the bathroom.

The tub is too wide for a toilet to be placed like it is. Most bathrooms put the tub on the outside wall, going the full five feet width of the bathroom.

The tub I have shown in there is 36" x 72" because the normal size tubs are useless for me. I'm almost considering just putting a shower there with no tub. I never use a tub.

The house I just sold had the tub and toilet arranged like that but they were even closer together than what I have in my current layout.

/ Barndominium/Shop or "real" House? #326  
I think I'd put in a tub even though there's no need for it now. Consider some years (hopefully many) from today and you may need a walk-in tub or similar because it isn't safe for you to stand in a slippery shower stall and there's nobody around to help you if you fall.

Regarding the comment about water from the roof, I know of two buildings in this area which didn't plan for that. It does sometimes rain in Florida, sometimes it rains really hard. There's an office building on US-1 which is in two parts, the floor plan is a shallow Vee, and the stairs to the upper two floors are in the center of the Vee. The roof design is such that every time it rains, all the water runs down the roof and POURS down on the stairs, it looks like Niagara Falls. The owner's crude "fix" was a sheet of plywood tacked over the roof connections, and that just moved the deluge further down the stairs. It is a nice building, but for unknown some reason, nobody ever renews their lease . . .

Other building is south of here (also on US-1 - Coincidence? Conspiracy?), it is a large church with an add-on almost as large. The two roofs slope downward and connect in the middle. Then the rains came - as usual - and the water came off that roof in a torrent. Oddly enough, they don't use the main entrance any more, everyone has to go around the back or they'll get drenched.

Best Regards,

Mike/Florida

/ Barndominium/Shop or "real" House? #327  
The tub I have shown in there is 36" x 72" because the normal size tubs are useless for me. I'm almost considering just putting a shower there with no tub. I never use a tub.

The house I just sold had the tub and toilet arranged like that but they were even closer together than what I have in my current layout.
My kid had a bathroom setup with the toilet across from the tub. The shower curtain hit my knees when I was reading the paper, as they say.

Also, if you put the tub on the outer wall, you can put the toilet next to it, then put a nice shelf(s) above it and have a place to hold your towels that you can reach while in the shower/tub.

My kid had a bathroom setup with the toilet across from the tub. The shower curtain hit my knees when I was reading the paper, as they say.

Also, if you put the tub on the outer wall, you can put the toilet next to it, then put a nice shelf(s) above it and have a place to hold your towels that you can reach while in the shower/tub.
I had that on a previous version but then the bathroom got wider than 6ft after I switched to 16" I-Joists, so I rotated the tub.

Yeah, the house I just sold my knees were only a few inches away from the tub.

If I turn the bathtub to the outside wall like I had it before, there is some wasted space.
Bathroom-Options-1.png

I've lived in houses with similar bathroom configurations to both above. Can't say I feel strongly one way or another. But would pick the option that is not wasting space...

/ Barndominium/Shop or "real" House? #330  
That makes no sense at all 😂

On the attached drawing use the space at the end of the tub for a gun safe with access from the bedroom 😉

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230306-133136.png
    Screenshot_20230306-133136.png
    362.2 KB · Views: 45