Barndominium/Shop or "real" House?

/ Barndominium/Shop or "real" House? #341  
I guess if I build the Barndominium it will weed out the type of women I likely won't get along with.
For sure. That type would never understand that logic. :)

/ Barndominium/Shop or "real" House? #342  
I guess if I build the Barndominium it will weed out the type of women I likely won't get along with.
A large dog will sort them out even quicker and for a lot less money. Using both methods have a 99% success rate, LoL.

/ Barndominium/Shop or "real" House?
These along with my stick frame drawings are what I will be submitting to the town building dept. so they can tell me whether or not they see any problems with issuing a permit.

BARND_00-1.png

BARND_01-1.png

BARND_02-1.png

BARND_03-1.png

I'm assuming since I designed and drew these up myself they will find issues.

/ Barndominium/Shop or "real" House? #344  
They gotta justify their existance... looks fabulous to me. 👍😎

/ Barndominium/Shop or "real" House? #345  
Just joined this forum after browsing it for the past few years, just saw this post, we built our shouse 2016.

We did a two bedroom, two bath, big garage pole barn house is what we call it. I put fire sprinklers in for a living and climbed ladders all the time I didn’t want any stairs when I retired.

40 foot wide garage by 48 feet deep three 10’ x 10‘ doors, the garage door on the left I can still fit a 1 ton crew cab in easily with room to spare, but in front of that is our mudroom and laundry room and mechanical room that is inside the house, the other two stalls are full depth.

3D22DD2E-73B8-47F7-92FD-5E157F53EEA4.jpeg

/ Barndominium/Shop or "real" House? #346  
These along with my stick frame drawings are what I will be submitting to the town building dept. so they can tell me whether or not they see any problems with issuing a permit.
I'm assuming since I designed and drew these up myself they will find issues.
Yep. But hopefully they'll just tell you any issues, you correct them, take them back, get the OK and off you go.

From everything I heard when doing my own electrical work and dreading the inspection, nothing came of it. The inspector came out, looked over my work, suggested one small change, said "nice work" and off he went. Similar when I built our garage addition a few years ago. "We'd prefer you do 123 because of XYZ. Looks good. Call us when it's done."

Good luck. (y)

/ Barndominium/Shop or "real" House? #347  
Just joined this forum after browsing it for the past few years, just saw this post, we built our shouse 2016.

We did a two bedroom, two bath, big garage pole barn house is what we call it. I put fire sprinklers in for a living and climbed ladders all the time I didn’t want any stairs when I retired.

40 foot wide garage by 48 feet deep three 10’ x 10‘ doors, the garage door on the left I can still fit a 1 ton crew cab in easily with room to spare, but in front of that is our mudroom and laundry room and mechanical room that is inside the house, the other two stalls are full depth.

View attachment 787856
Nice and Welcome To TBN! (y)

/ Barndominium/Shop or "real" House?
So met with the building inspector. He said the only thing he can see off the top is that the structure needs to be sheathed and not just steel over girts & purlins. I guess the wind & snow load requirements have increased the last couple years in the township where I intend to build. However he needs to look at the drawings for a few days and get back to me.

/ Barndominium/Shop or "real" House? #349  
So met with the building inspector. He said the only thing he can see off the top is that the structure needs to be sheathed and not just steel over girts & purlins. I guess the wind & snow load requirements have increased the last couple years in the township where I intend to build. However he needs to look at the drawings for a few days and get back to me.
Yeah, on mine the roof of the house and the walls of the house all have plywood and the walls of have house-wrap then steel over that. The garage is built just like a regular pole barn here in Minnesota but they are all attached obviously.

/ Barndominium/Shop or "real" House? #350  
When I built my barn I wanted to use 1" rough pine sheathing all around, but could not on the gable end walls - had to use plywood as they could not calculate the shear load on rough pine lumber.