Ballast Question?

/ Ballast Question? #1  

kantuckid

Platinum Member
Tractor
Branson 4820R
After a couple hours of reading DIY rear tire ballast threads (mostly here) and thinking RV anti-freeze-MAYBE?---
I came across Counterweight Blue which has various dealers ~ an hour away from me here in E KY.
Not one thing I've read says what the stuff happens to actually be? Only comments about how great it is,etc..
I also wonder about sources for generic beet juice(Rim Guard commercially branded) as i read they exists but found none?
When I researched bulk barrels of tire ballast none were as cheap as Walmart RV antifreeze but when I needed the stuff for my own RV it's out of stock all the time even for a couple of gallons, thus maybe a walmart.com bulk purchase item?

I will have my next tractor on a trailer transporting it home soon, thus might be a way to get tires filled during the trip. I lean toward DIY as I'm a wrencher but open to ideas or places to make this happen near me?

Please share your thoughts on the subject. maybe we can bring the subject around to some of the currently used fluids w/o creating the wheel again...:laughing

I'm currently leaning more toward a counter weight on rear hitch. Concrete block with side pins and top link . The Kioti specs state a "counter balance" of 1,010#'s for my FEL.
I assume that puts the tractor in front to rear balance? My KL351 loader is rated @ 1,412#'s at max height at the pin. Thus it would seem a weight somewhere between those two numbers is optimum?
I'm researching the best shape and size for a casting box for a concrete block. I like the ones seen with angled sides to match lift arms.
What say you? Plenty of threads to read, more than I have time for? :)

Last edited:
   / Ballast Question? #2  
I like having the rear ballast right in the tires, right at the ground but I have R4 tires and are less likely to be punctured and haven't been in over 15 years. Each of my tires holds 55 gal of 50/50 mix of methanol so I had to purchase 1 barrel of it 15 years ago to do both rear tires and I think it was around $125 then. The ballast weighs right around 440 lbs. in each tire.

/ Ballast Question? #3  
I run WW fluid in my rear tires. About 39 gallons in each fills them to 10/11 O'clock position. WW fluid is much cheaper than RV antifreeze or beet juice, just a little less weight per gallon. When I need more rear ballast I can put weight on the 3 pt. I have a couple to choose from and can add another 1000 or so. 55 gallon plastic barrel 3/4 full of ready mix and scrap steel or an old data records safe I made into a weight.
The safe weighs 1030 but I can open the door and add more weight inside if needed.

Attachments

• Safe 1030#.JPG
    Safe 1030#.JPG
    369.9 KB · Views: 165
  • Barrel 927#.JPG
    Barrel 927#.JPG
    454.7 KB · Views: 146
   / Ballast Question? #4  
Bulk windshield washer fluid has been cheaper than RV antifreeze everytime I compare

/ Ballast Question? #5  
If you don't need max weight, wwf is fine just make sure it has the freeze protection that your area requires.

/ Ballast Question?
My ballast "journey" has gravitated toward a concrete block. If I change my mind back to fluid I will do it myself as less trouble and far cheaper-I'd use Wally's WW fluid by the jug. temperature wise, we've owned this farm since 1978 and seen -25 and more recently year before last it was -22 but last year teens mostly-thanks to Al Gore.
I called a so-called dealer for brand name ballast fluid called "Counterweight Blue" to learn it's WW fluid being sold @ $2.75 per gallon with $30 per tire pump fee plus $80 hourly rate for installation. Yipes! In my area that's serious money, not counting my personal status as a retired fart & certified tightwad, not to mention I'm a former pro wrench who never pays others to do my stuff. Curiously, another fact I ran into is exactly nobody has heard of the size designations commonly seen on R4 tires as seen on compact utility tractors?
I'm gonna cast a block for rear lift arms that matches up with my FEL when lifting larger logs.

I ran across a factoid from (Kioti DK35SE) specs chart that states my tractors FEL (KL351) has a "counter balance" of 1,010#'s. At the time i was actually seeking the net weight of the FEL itself, to answer a towed weight question. I have no idea how they come up with that number nor it's specific purpose?

RV fluid is cheaper at Wally too but still lots more than WW fluid.

/ Ballast Question? #7  
I run rum guard (beet snot) and a 1000lb + counterweight on my DK45, that much weight on the back makes it one very stable platform. I also have my rears dished out as wide as they will go.

/ Ballast Question? #8  
I run the ballast barrel I built for a lighter Kubota some years ago. It weighs about 750 lbs with the junk I keep in it. I could use some more at times. I run methanol water mix (WW fluid without the dye) in the R4 tires. I wish I had thrown in some scrap steel into the concrete mix in the barrel. I could use another 300 lbs in my opinion. Not a problem most of the time, but when carrying a really heavy load up front, the extra in the "caboose" would be good.

/ Ballast Question? #9  
A tire shop about 1 hour awayt charges $1.50 per gallon for -20 rated methanol based windshield washer fluid- they "loan" you at 250 gallon tote and you have to bring the tote back. It isn't too hard to put in/take out yourself with a 12 volt sprayer pump (like ATV spray tanks use) and a couple of pieces of clear tubing that will fit tightly over the valve stem (remove the core). A few days ago, I saw -20 rated methanol windshield washer fluid in 1 gallon jugs for $1.59 at Buccheit farm store in Centralia IL.

For pumping it OUT of a large tractor tire, you have to remove the whole stem and then use stick a piece of copper tubing down to the bottom of the tube and suck it out of the lowest point.

I just had to buy two new rear rims for my JD2840. I am never going to use calcium chloride again... I have 120 gallons of it for sale on craigslist for $25.... No calls/interest in the last 2 months.

/ Ballast Question?
James, FYI, etc., I am buying the same tractor as yours but a shuttle tranny. 127 hours on it and pristine condition plus a Land Pride 1572 box blade also near new. Seller is a KS Highway Patrol Lt/officer.