Backing up a Gen Trailer

/ Backing up a Gen Trailer #31  
Backing up my 16-foot trailer was a breeze but trying to back up my 4 foot one on my lawn mower sucks. Clamp on hitch or practice, practice, practice, practice. Clamp on hitch is easier and less time consuming.

/ Backing up a Gen Trailer #32  
How about mounting it on the three point linkage, either direct or a quick hitch, also be easier to transport to other parts etc.
My pto generator is on a trailer and I find it easier to hook up to then a 3 point would ever be.
Back into it drop in a draw pin raise the jack, connect the pto shaft and it's ready to go.
While a short trailer can be a bit cantankerous to back up I manage with mine.
Also the trailer makes it quite easy to move around if I need to move it a mile or 20 miles hook it to the truck and
go, unless I need one of my tractors to go with it in which case I tow with the tractor.
Also the pto shaft is easier to connect as there is more room for me to get in and work.

/ Backing up a Gen Trailer #33  
Backing Up Gen Trailer

Got this 14 kw generator on a small trailer, hooks to the rear drawbar and PTO of my JD 950 with loader. Provides survival during our frequent winter power outages. Big problem: backing it back into the barn when crisis subsides. Tractor mostly outside to disperse emissions, attached trailer remains behind under shelter of barn But trailer twists sideways and jackknifes during backup return. Tractor and trailer both short wheelbase. I spent years backing a bass boat into launch ramps and parking slots with no problem. The barn door at 8 ft is too narrow to permit much steer adjustment (loader hits frame). Detaching gen and backing by hand is a real p.i.t.a. for these old bones. Got any suggestions ?
Does your tractor have a loader? You can get a clamp on hitch and push it into the garage.

/ Backing up a Gen Trailer #34  
I use a utility vehicle with the front hitch to move things around in smaller spaces as easy to see when pushing rather than pulling. If not too heavy you can also use a trailer dolly that you manually push around.

/ Backing up a Gen Trailer #35  
Some good ideas. It's not really practical to unhitch the PTO to push it in. To summarize, the best ideas here:
1.put a 3 point hitch on it. 2. Pick it up with a 3 point boom pole while still attached. 3. Set the whole thing on an old longer boat trailer. 4. Pulley and winch both it and the tractor inside. 5. Build a pull through shed, or tent or canopy or somewhere else to use it. 5. Don't hook it up until you push it in place with a front hitch, or ATV, or lawnmower or something. 6. Go out in the field and spend an hour practicing.

/ Backing up a Gen Trailer #36  
Short trailers require short movements of the steering wheel when backing. My bet is you are over adjusting when the trailer doesn't make an immediate correction after turning the steering wheel. Make a small move of the wheel and see what the trailer does in about 5 feet of backing, etc. Start a good distance from the barn door; get it lined up straight before you get to the door and back it in.

It is also a good idea to give yourself some kind of a guide to show you are lined up correctly. A painted line on a paved surface or even a line drawn in the dirt is helpful.

/ Backing up a Gen Trailer #37  
How about this?
It would be a good summer project for ya.

Attachments

• EC628984-5B84-448F-9B9A-792F244BE6A0.jpeg
    EC628984-5B84-448F-9B9A-792F244BE6A0.jpeg
    181.4 KB · Views: 51
   / Backing up a Gen Trailer #39  
Backing Up Gen Trailer

Got this 14 kw generator on a small trailer, hooks to the rear drawbar and PTO of my JD 950 with loader. Provides survival during our frequent winter power outages. Big problem: backing it back into the barn when crisis subsides. Tractor mostly outside to disperse emissions, attached trailer remains behind under shelter of barn But trailer twists sideways and jackknifes during backup return. Tractor and trailer both short wheelbase. I spent years backing a bass boat into launch ramps and parking slots with no problem. The barn door at 8 ft is too narrow to permit much steer adjustment (loader hits frame). Detaching gen and backing by hand is a real p.i.t.a. for these old bones. Got any suggestions ?
My Winpower has a threaded hole on top to insert a hook ring. Balances perfectly. Just snatch it and get it close. The hand roll in back. If your 950 has L/R brakes they help with situations like this and others (Like backing up 2 coupled hay racks. In all cases, slow is faster.

/ Backing up a Gen Trailer #40  
Backing Up Gen Trailer