Backing up a Gen Trailer

/ Backing up a Gen Trailer #1  

Catchthedig

Tractor
John Deere 950
Backing Up Gen Trailer

Got this 14 kw generator on a small trailer, hooks to the rear drawbar and PTO of my JD 950 with loader. Provides survival during our frequent winter power outages. Big problem: backing it back into the barn when crisis subsides. Tractor mostly outside to disperse emissions, attached trailer remains behind under shelter of barn But trailer twists sideways and jackknifes during backup return. Tractor and trailer both short wheelbase. I spent years backing a bass boat into launch ramps and parking slots with no problem. The barn door at 8 ft is too narrow to permit much steer adjustment (loader hits frame). Detaching gen and backing by hand is a real p.i.t.a. for these old bones. Got any suggestions ?

/ Backing up a Gen Trailer #3  
Maybe try getting a 2” receiver that clamps on the bucket and try pushing it in with the loader instead.

/ Backing up a Gen Trailer #4  
buckethitch1.JPG

buckethitch2.jpg
The ball mount was from a yard sale and it raised the ball so it was visible.

The brace was needed due to the lightweight bucket flexing a lot with all the leverage of the tall mount.

Bruce

/ Backing up a Gen Trailer #5  
Several ways to front mount a hitch, or just keep working it as you have been a short trailer can be a pain in the butt.
ssqa 4.jpg

/ Backing up a Gen Trailer #6  
Yeah you have no hope of backing up a very short trailer. It will jackknife in an instant. The others have the right idea of using a hitch on the bucket. There are many clamp-on ones out there for sale if you prefer to buy rather than build. For example:
I bought a similar one at Northern Tool.

Or pull thru and drop it instead of backing up, if that can be done. Or put on your forks and lift it up and put it back that way. Or same thing with chain on the bucket if you have hooks. There are other options that may be possible rather than just towing it.

/ Backing up a Gen Trailer #9  
You could make an extension to the tongue that is pinned on. This would allow you to back the trailer in easily, then remove the tongue for storage.

/ Backing up a Gen Trailer #10  
I would think the only difference to having the pivot point in front as opposed to the rear is that you can see when it goes crooked. Either way it is a matter of making it go in the correct direction.
I think workinonit has the best advice, practice till you can do it easily. You cannot just swap ends every time you want to back it up. If you can pull it out of a slot you can put it back in the slot the same way.