Backing up a Gen Trailer

/ Backing up a Gen Trailer #21  
Could you put some fork pockets under the trailer and use your loader to pick up the entire genertor to put it away?
Or if it has a lift eye, and your door is tall enough, pick it up with the fel.

Best,

ed

/ Backing up a Gen Trailer #22  
Backing Up Gen Trailer

Got this 14 kw generator on a small trailer, hooks to the rear drawbar and PTO of my JD 950 with loader. Provides survival during our frequent winter power outages. Big problem: backing it back into the barn when crisis subsides. Tractor mostly outside to disperse emissions, attached trailer remains behind under shelter of barn But trailer twists sideways and jackknifes during backup return. Tractor and trailer both short wheelbase. I spent years backing a bass boat into launch ramps and parking slots with no problem. The barn door at 8 ft is too narrow to permit much steer adjustment (loader hits frame). Detaching gen and backing by hand is a real p.i.t.a. for these old bones. Got any suggestions ?
If you come back... Welcome to TBN!!!

/ Backing up a Gen Trailer
Thanks for some interesting solutions. Most ignore the PTO hook-up, which is not as manageable as just a trailer tongue lynchpin. Can't fold that power shaft with two u-joints too far. Holding the alignment rigid with cable attachments to the rockshaft might work. I hate getting down on my hands and knees in a dark barn to mess with the sliding PTO coupler.

/ Backing up a Gen Trailer #24  
1679303730579.jpeg

/ Backing up a Gen Trailer #25  
Thanks for some interesting solutions. Most ignore the PTO hook-up, which is not as manageable as just a trailer tongue lynchpin. Can't fold that power shaft with two u-joints too far. Holding the alignment rigid with cable attachments to the rockshaft might work. I hate getting down on my hands and knees in a dark barn to mess with the sliding PTO coupler.
Do you have rear lights on the tractor? It sounds like you do not so would be another item to consider. Otherwise somehow tie the pto shaft to the hitch so you are not trying to manage the hitch and pto shaft at the same time

/ Backing up a Gen Trailer #26  
Unfortunately practice makes perfect.
If you used your mirrors while backing the Bass boat then one big help would be to get some mirrors, magnet or bolt on, they could help quite a bit. Gonna get some myself as I'm in the not so young area my self. If your one of those "stick your head out of the window while backing people", your on your own.
Likes it's been mentioned you can get a "clamp on" trailer hitch for the bucket and should make it easier even with the bucket in the way. Then all you have to do is turn the tractor around and your good to go.
I'm guessing it's the original "built for it" trailer but do you think you can get a set of clamp on forks and lift it sideways? Your 950 should be able to lift that no problem and should give you another 3 or 4 feet of room for the tractor? Or would the trailer be too wide side ways through the doors?

/ Backing up a Gen Trailer #28  
Backing Up Gen Trailer

Got this 14 kw generator on a small trailer, hooks to the rear drawbar and PTO of my JD 950 with loader. Provides survival during our frequent winter power outages. Big problem: backing it back into the barn when crisis subsides. Tractor mostly outside to disperse emissions, attached trailer remains behind under shelter of barn But trailer twists sideways and jackknifes during backup return. Tractor and trailer both short wheelbase. I spent years backing a bass boat into launch ramps and parking slots with no problem. The barn door at 8 ft is too narrow to permit much steer adjustment (loader hits frame). Detaching gen and backing by hand is a real p.i.t.a. for these old bones. Got any suggestions ?
How about mounting it on the three point linkage, either direct or a quick hitch, also be easier to transport to other parts etc.

/ Backing up a Gen Trailer #29  
Backing Up Gen Trailer

You might consider selling it and buying a generator and automatic transfer switch that can be installed in a permanent location. That way, you will just smile through the power outage rather than making a project out of it. Also, someday when you are sick in bed or away from home when the power goes out, you will smile even more broadly…or your family will.

/ Backing up a Gen Trailer #30  
Backing Up Gen Trailer

I have a hitch that hooks to my bucket and I use it on all my trailers when backing them into the barn or tight spots.