Backhoe vs Tractor with backhoe

/ Backhoe vs Tractor with backhoe #111  
Okay, I'll be that someone.

Having tried using a BX25D backhoe it quickly became obvious that it weighs way too little to do any meaningful digging with.

At just under 1,000 lbs., the NorTrac is lighter yet. The specs mention lift capacity, but nothing about breakout force etc. There must be a trick to keep these light backhoes on the ground, but what is it?
The blade, referred to as a push blade, or back fill blades should be in front and down, picking up the weight, moving the center of gravity forward, to act opposite the digging force; if that makes sense. The blade is primarily a stabalizer, and secondarily a back fill blade.

/ Backhoe vs Tractor with backhoe #112  
The blade, referred to as a push blade, or back fill blades should be in front and down, picking up the weight, moving the center of gravity forward, to act opposite the digging force; if that makes sense. The blade is primarily a stabalizer, and secondarily a back fill blade.
Yeah, that's similar to putting the loader bucket down on the BX25D, transferring some weight to the rear. But that towable NorTrac doesn't have a blade from what I can tell.

/ Backhoe vs Tractor with backhoe #113  
I will never buy a rear attachment BH again.
If you only use a BH a few times then rent one.

/ Backhoe vs Tractor with backhoe #114  
I had one for a couple of weeks. Tried it once, then managed to pawn if off on a neighbor.

Who promptly broke it, but that wasn't the backhoe's fault.

DSCN0184.JPG

/ Backhoe vs Tractor with backhoe #115  
The HF had listed many many years ago the breakout force being 4400#, not sure what a Nortrac or Betstco has for BOF

/ Backhoe vs Tractor with backhoe #116  
Now I can't find the breakout force for a BX25D, unless "bucket cylinder digging force" is Kubota speak for it. If so it's 1,936 lbs.

Either way, in my experience the tiny backhoe has enough power, just doesn't have enough weight (1,587 lbs.) to stay put, or on the ground.

/ Backhoe vs Tractor with backhoe #117  
I have a frame mount Bradco for a CUT, had it for about 10 years.
I use it often by doing all the digging chores when it is mounted up.
I also have a bigger tractor so that makes a difference.
Those 3 pt backhoes are hard on the tractor and will break something if not very cautious.