Oil & Fuel B3030 oil change

/ B3030 oil change #1  

smfcpacfp

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030HSDC
I generally use Mobil 1 in my cars and I want to do so with my tractor. In my B3030 owner's manual it says, When an off-road vehicle engine runs on a high sulfur fuel, it is advisable to employ the CF, CD, or CE lubricating oil with a high total base number. In a chart it says CF is recommended with a remark TBN (I assume total base number) > or = 10.

What is the total base number? I have never heard of this or do I remember seeing it on an oil can.

/ B3030 oil change #2  
Don't worry about it. That's out of date information. My manual is out of date as well. That's the trouble with printed material.

All that stuff has been settled. During the change to low sulphur diesel, the oils changed to keep pace. Kubota was concerned, and rightly so.

The dust is all settled now. If you buy a high quality diesel rated oil by Mobil for diesels, or Shell Rotella T-6 synthetic, etc, they are fine. Just make sure you get Mobil Diesel Syn, not just the regular car synthetic, at least I wouldn't, but YMMV. I think RalphVA uses regular Mobil 1 in his Deere.

Still no rain here, how about up there? We're dying in the heat too!

/ B3030 oil change
Don't worry about it. That's out of date information. My manual is out of date as well. That's the trouble with printed material.

All that stuff has been settled. During the change to low sulphur diesel, the oils changed to keep pace. Kubota was concerned, and rightly so.

The dust is all settled now. If you buy a high quality diesel rated oil by Mobil for diesels, or Shell Rotella T-6 synthetic, etc, they are fine. Just make sure you get Mobil Diesel Syn, not just the regular car synthetic, at least I wouldn't, but YMMV. I think RalphVA uses regular Mobil 1 in his Deere.

Still no rain here, how about up there? We're dying in the heat too!

I went to the API website and all of the API oils specified in the Kubota manual are now obsolete! There are only 3 API diesel service categories that are current: CH-4, CI-4 and CJ-4.

However none of these oils are specified for high sulfur diesel.

It does say for the CJ-4 specification that if you are using it with high sulfur oil, consult the manufacturer for the oil change interval. Maybe I should just start buying the on road diesel and take the tax credit for off road use.

We haven't had any rain here either, yet a friend of mine in Kalamazoo says they have had plenty of rain. We normally have 5 days on average when the temperature is above 90. Last year we had 3. This week we had 3 90+ days including Tuesday - 97. This looks like a tough summer. I am watering my yard every other night.