@#$%&* B&S. Hard Starting....

/ @#$%&* B&S. Hard Starting.... #11  
If you think about the design, once the fuel level evaporates just a little bit in the carb- the float lowers opening the inlet. These little disc pumps don't have much in them for a check valve, so it is kind of like letting the finger off the top of a straw and the soda runs back. So when cranking for the first time, the pump fills the line, then finally the bowl and it starts. Usually I see these take an extended crank after a few weeks though. Everything listed up above comes into play. Some will say an line fuel valve helped them, others need to dig deeper. The old gal has a few years on her.

/ @#$%&* B&S. Hard Starting.... #12  
Doesn't take much sitting with fuel in the carb to cause the needle valve to stick especially if it is ethanol gas.

I installed a shut off valve in my fuel line and intentionally run the carb dry when I know the engine won't be started for a week or more.

/ @#$%&* B&S. Hard Starting.... #13  
To try and run them dry for intermittent storage, the lower seal would be sitting in fuel either way. The mains may not be though? BTW this lower seal and the moth seal above the fuel pipe can both be contributing factors to the extended cranking cold.

/ @#$%&* B&S. Hard Starting.... #14  
NOT really... Funny thing is neighbor gave me a E180 mower with 25 HP B&S that a tree fell on, it had sat for a year under a tarp and suprizing enough it started right up after motor turnover may be 6-8 timers....
An anomaly. Like I said. Stick to Kawasaki....or Honda. It's not that hard.

/ @#$%&* B&S. Hard Starting.... #15  
Keep a can of starting spray nearby. A shot or two, and it should be good.

/ @#$%&* B&S. Hard Starting.... #16  
Kawasakis use plastic gears and more gasoline than my wifes Corolla. Id pass.

/ @#$%&* B&S. Hard Starting.... #17  
That said the Intek is the worst engine Briggs and Stratton ever made. Maybe only beat by a Kohler Courage.

/ @#$%&* B&S. Hard Starting.... #18  
I had a similar experience and after looking at everything I thought could be wrong it wasn't any better. I drilled a hole in filter cover so gas can be squirted in carb for cold starts and it has started fine since. In the interest of cost I use a zoom-spout bottle with gas rather than starting fluid. Apparently vacuum is too weak to pull gas while using starter to let it fire a couple times and pull stronger vacuum.

/ @#$%&* B&S. Hard Starting....
I had a similar experience and after looking at everything I thought could be wrong it wasn't any better. I drilled a hole in filter cover so gas can be squirted in carb for cold starts and it has started fine since. In the interest of cost I use a zoom-spout bottle with gas rather than starting fluid. Apparently vacuum is too weak to pull gas while using starter to let it fire a couple times and pull stronger vacuum.
Sort of what I'm doing now, yes drilled hole and use carb cleaner with the wand.... Carb cleaner is less volatile than ether...

/ @#$%&* B&S. Hard Starting.... #20  
Sort of what I'm doing now, yes drilled hole and use carb cleaner with the wand.... Carb cleaner is less volatile than ether...
Does it bust right off with carb cleaner or is it still stubborn?