@#$%&* B&S. Hard Starting....

/ @#$%&* B&S. Hard Starting.... #1  

WranglerX

Elite Member
Tractor
MF GC1715
OK,,, Its a B&S Intec twin 22HP in a JD L120 mower and it has to be the most miserable starting engine ever... IF it sits 6-8 days It just does not want to start (dry fuel bowl in carb?)...
When it finally starts ( resorting to jump box and prime) I can see air bubbles coming in inlet side of clear fuel filter.... Wondering if I have microscopic leak in fuel line from tank to filter that is small enough (or above fuel level in tank) that it draws air instead of heavier gas?... Writing this it occured to me that a break in fuel line may actually be above fuel level (in tank) as it comes out of top of tank so it does not leak or smell of fuel!... What do you think....

Last edited:
   / @#$%&* B&S. Hard Starting.... #3  
Something to also check as a side note. when you close the choke make sure it is fully closing. Takes very little open movement to cause hard and no starts. Adjusted on single throttle/choke systems by loosening the throttle cable clamp on the engine and while the throttle control is in the choke position tension the throttle cable to hold the choke completely closed and tighten the clamp.

And I wouldn't get too concerned about air bubbles in fuel filter. Since on vacuum side of fuel pump acts like expansion chamber and air or more correct gas vapor bubbles in filter is normal.

Last edited:
   / @#$%&* B&S. Hard Starting.... #4  
Yea, and the next mower you get make sure it has a Kawasaki engine.

/ @#$%&* B&S. Hard Starting.... #5  
Probably a bad fuel pump or the pulse line to the pump is leaking. Perhaps even an intake manifold air leak.

B&S stands for Breaks and Scrap'em.

/ @#$%&* B&S. Hard Starting....
Yea, and the next mower you get make sure it has a Kawasaki engine.
NOT really... Funny thing is neighbor gave me a E180 mower with 25 HP B&S that a tree fell on, it had sat for a year under a tarp and suprizing enough it started right up after motor turnover may be 6-8 timers....

/ @#$%&* B&S. Hard Starting....
Something to also check as a side note. when you close the choke make sure it is fully closing. Takes very little open movement to cause hard and no starts. Adjusted on single throttle/choke systems by loosening the throttle cable clamp on the engine and while the throttle control is in the choke position tension the throttle cable to hold the choke completely closed and tighten the clamp.

And I wouldn't get too concerned about air bubbles in fuel filter. Since on vacuum side of fuel pump acts like expansion chamber and air or more correct gas vapor bubbles in filter is normal.
Separate control cable for throttle and choke.... Yes choke fully closes....

/ @#$%&* B&S. Hard Starting.... #9  
I replaced a B & S on my JD Z225 that only had about 225 hours with a new engine after countless hours of trying to sort out rough running. New carb, ignition coil, fuel lines, fuel pump, head gasket, spark plug, valve setting, etc. There is a fuel gommet on the plastic gas tank. I replaced that along with a new fuel pickup line inside the tank, too. The new engine runs fine. I gave up on the B & S which hadn't been abused, either.

This probably isn't helpful in terms of finding the problem with your machine except I know how frustrating this can be.

/ @#$%&* B&S. Hard Starting.... #10  
As to what might be causing no fuel at the carb, the first thing I'd do is to check the electric fuel solenoid on the bottom of the carb to be sure it is allowing fuel to flow. Would also suggest removing the bottom of the carb bowl and checking the needle valve to be sure it is allowing fuel to fill the bowl. It could be stuck in the off position.

Fuel lines and the pump need to be in good condition. Replace fuel filter. Give it a shot.