ATV advice

/ ATV advice #81  
Yamaha Grizzly 700 doesn't. It's open or locked (Electronically via handlebar switch). I actually think most are this way unless there is no switch to engage the locker.
I looked up a 2012 Grizzly 700 4x4, and found "limited slip assembly" as part #6 in the "front differential" page of the parts diagram.

/ ATV advice #82  
I looked up a 2012 Grizzly 700 4x4, and found "limited slip assembly" as part #6 in the "front differential" page of the parts diagram.
That may be what it's called but it isn't a true limited slip action, it's a locker. We had a 2012 700 Grizzly and now a 2019 700 Grizzly so I know first hand.
Limited slip by most accounts is a differential that will still apply some force to both axles via friction plates usally until enough traction is achieved by one of the tires to stop it then it will spin the tire with the least traction only. A locker will positively engage both axles and both spin.

Even today they call it that but it's not technically correct.

• Yamaha’s Exclusive On-Command® 4WD
    Unlike so many computer-controlled 4WD systems on the market, the Yamaha On-Command® system keeps the rider in charge. With selectable 2WD, 4WD limited-slip, and 4WD with diff lock modes, the Grizzly EPS delivers power predictably and consistently.
What you really have is 2WD, 4WD with open front diff, 4WD with front axle locked.

Edit: I suppose it's possible they have some sort of limited slip clutches in it, but neither Grizzly seem to operate like they do, any little bit of mud and only one tire spins. Once we lock it though, they ALL Spin evenly.

Last edited:
   / ATV advice #83  
Yes, the LSDs are usually just one or more clutch discs that impart torque to the faster-spinning axle, and fluid viscosity is one of the methods of transferring that torque. I suspect that in normal off-road driving in 4x4 mode, the outer front wheel would usually be spinning on any turn, without LSD. Hence the need.

/ ATV advice #84  
Yes, the LSDs are usually just one or more clutch discs that impart torque to the faster-spinning axle, and fluid viscosity is one of the methods of transferring that torque. I suspect that in normal off-road driving in 4x4 mode, the outer front wheel would usually be spinning on any turn, without LSD. Hence the need.
No, In 4WD unlocked mode the open diff allows the tires to rotate at different speeds through a turn, in 4WD locked, you better be in some low traction terrain so that either wheel can spin as needed, usually it's the inside wheel that will spin or slip.
On pavement you can't hardy get the front handle bars to turn if it's locked, try too hard and you risk busting the diff. or an axle.

/ ATV advice #85  
Greetings, TBN!

I've lurked and looked through some old threads here, but would like to seek input on a good ATV for my purposes, which are typical in many ways, but possibly unique in others. I have both a four-wheel tractor and a two-wheel tractor that are used for mowing, hauling, ground engagement, etc. These work well in the summer, when the ground is firm, but dig into the ground significantly when things are wet - and, living near Seattle, that's 9 months out of the year. I've been trying to smooth things out on my property for a few years and I've reached the point where I'm doing as much damage with my equipment as I am fixing. I am looking for solutions.

Up until recently, I've been considering a set of tracks for my two-wheel tractor, but they're close to $2k all told, and it occurs to me that an ATV would not only accomplish a low PSI for ground contact, but perhaps match or possibly increase the pulling/towing power of my two-wheel tractor, and also be a whole lot of fun. So here I am, contemplating another vehicle. But which one?

In terms of new choices, I am initially attracted to the low-end of the Honda line (420cc) for its price, torque and reputation for reliability. However that is a relatively uninformed opinion. I don't know much about ATVs, so I'm here to be advised, convinced, and educated. My interests are low PSI, pulling capability, reliability, and safety of rzr xp1000 accessories(no special features needed, but I'd like to avoid 'tippy' ATVs). I'll probably spend most of my time under 10MPH. And of course I'd like to keep cost under control. What new ATVs should I consider?

I am certainly willing to consider used ATVs if they are reliable and relatively easy to work on, but thus far the used ATVs I see for sale in my area seem fairly expensive. I can get a 20 year old ATV for about half the cost of a newer one, but that path seems like it may be more expensive in the long run. I may be looking in the wrong place, and not thinking about other considerations. If anyone thinks used is the way to go I'd love to hear their suggestion of models and rationale.

Many thanks!
Keep an eye out for those big, pretty picture ads on CL that ask you to click on a link/connection. Almost ALWAYS a scam. I only say that b/c both of those deals seem almost too good to be true. Maybe we just have a nasty Cost of Living adjustment here in New England but i don't think i'd find either of those quads for less than $4-5K.

Do you know what year the Polaris is? Don't have a lot of experience with Bombardier, can't go wrong with a good polaris.

/ ATV advice #86  
I would stay away from the Honda Rancher 420 in the 2009 vintage, they have an auto trans that is shift button controlled and they are known for shifting issues. My neighbor has one and he brought it to me to try and figure out what was wrong, what I ended up doing and it seemed to have fixed the problem was replace the PCM and shift angle sensor. I believe the model number is TRX-420FA, if it were me I would stay clear of that one. This same problem happens with the 350CC of the same vintage but, you can remedy the issue by adding a couple of relays and bypassing the shift circuit through the computer which makes it a very reliable method of remedying the issue. Hope this helps with your search.

/ ATV advice #87  
For years we operated 700 Grizzly's and Kodiak in hash conditions. I'd call them good.
Grizzly in CR.II.jpg

/ ATV advice #88  
To me, ATV and UTV are completely different options. Unless the ATV is like Arly's 6x6 with a bed. I'm only talking here about work machines.

An ATV, to me, is for herding cattle and checking fences and quick transport across the property.

UTV, on the other hand, is like having a small truck and workshop platform that can get places and haul things. Also better for multi-person use. Not so good for cattle work (though you could do it).

If I was not going to work livestock, I'd go UTV. Otherwise, I'd want at least one ATV.

/ ATV advice #90  
To me, ATV and UTV are completely different options.
Very different.

Seems to me that if you are chasing cattle, a 4-stroke dirt bike would be better than either ATV or UTV. Can't carry a lot of tools, yes, but neither can you on a horse. But I am no rancher.

The best tool for the job is not always what you have.