ATV advice

/ ATV advice #1  

Freep

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti CK3510SE TLB, BCS 852
Greetings, TBN!

I've lurked and looked through some old threads here, but would like to seek input on a good ATV for my purposes, which are typical in many ways, but possibly unique in others. I have both a four-wheel tractor and a two-wheel tractor that are used for mowing, hauling, ground engagement, etc. These work well in the summer, when the ground is firm, but dig into the ground significantly when things are wet - and, living near Seattle, that's 9 months out of the year. I've been trying to smooth things out on my property for a few years and I've reached the point where I'm doing as much damage with my equipment as I am fixing. I am looking for solutions.

Up until recently, I've been considering a set of tracks for my two-wheel tractor, but they're close to $2k all told, and it occurs to me that an ATV would not only accomplish a low PSI for ground contact, but perhaps match or possibly increase the pulling/towing power of my two-wheel tractor, and also be a whole lot of fun. So here I am, contemplating another vehicle. But which one?

In terms of new choices, I am initially attracted to the low-end of the Honda line (420cc) for its price, torque and reputation for reliability. However that is a relatively uninformed opinion. I don't know much about ATVs, so I'm here to be advised, convinced, and educated. My interests are low PSI, pulling capability, reliability, and safety (no special features needed, but I'd like to avoid 'tippy' ATVs). I'll probably spend most of my time under 10MPH. And of course I'd like to keep cost under control. What new ATVs should I consider?

I am certainly willing to consider used ATVs if they are reliable and relatively easy to work on, but thus far the used ATVs I see for sale in my area seem fairly expensive. I can get a 20 year old ATV for about half the cost of a newer one, but that path seems like it may be more expensive in the long run. I may be looking in the wrong place, and not thinking about other considerations. If anyone thinks used is the way to go I'd love to hear their suggestion of models and rationale.

Many thanks!

/ ATV advice #2  
Can't go wrong with Honda or Yamaha. Japanese know how to build tractors and motorcycles/atv's.

Back in 2004/05 I swore by Polaris. My 2004 1/2 Sportsman 500 H.O. has been bulletproof. I plowed my yard which I park transports in for over 8 years with that thing. Not one issue. Original belt. Nothing but oil changes and a set of tires.
It's still going and finally last year the needle valve in the carb wore off and the fan failed taking out the rad.

So then in 2016 being brand loyal to Polaris now, I bought a new 570 with power steering. JUNK.
Water pump housing was bad, fixed under warranty and then they charged me a deductible for using the warranty. Dealer nor Polaris cared. Still leaking coolant. Lock and Ride Windshield cracked around the mounts first trail ride. No warranty when it was new.
All four wheel bearings and all four springs and shocks are done with only 2400 Kilometres on it.

So now I went and bought a Kubota RTV-X1100C. No more overpriced junk toy atv's for me.

But if I ever do buy another ATV for faster trail rides it will be a Honda or Yamaha.

/ ATV advice #3  
The Honda Rancher you mentioned is the best in the business...not just my opinion but of almost everyone I've ever talked to about utility ATVs. I don't own one - never owned one - but know people that have and they swear by them. No one can doubt the dependability of the Honda - and they last forever if maintained.
My ATV is a Yamaha Kodiak - but I use it for recreational riding only, not for anything on the ranch. Also very dependable - 9000 miles on it now - but unlike the Honda it does use a belt drive which does not hold up to heavy pulling. I'm on my third belt on my Yamaha. And being independent suspension, it is definitely more "tippy" than a straight rear axle Honda...mine has rolled right over me 3 times now.

/ ATV advice #4  
As far as "PSI" I assume you are talking about flotation over soft ground. If you leave the stock, flexy, rounded tires on them, then any of the models will be about the same because they weigh pretty much the same. The stock tires are flotation tires - I've gotten off my Yamaha in a marshy area and found my boots sinking into the muck but the Yamaha, even with me on it, did not sink at all. Soft ground, sand, the stock tires work great. If you do like some and change to an automotive type tire without the rounded flotation profile then you can expect to sink!

/ ATV advice #5  
Yamaha Kodiak at present, Kawasaki 400 before that - both great machines. And although they both had towball mountings, what you ask them to do needs some common sense. Towing a mower, a log splitter, a lightly loaded 6 x 4 trailer, no problems, but a 450 litre water tank in the trailer uphill? Probably unwise.

Most of the work for it now is either mowing, or spraying with the 55 litre spraytank on the rear rack. It's very rare for me to take it over 20 km/hr, and I know our 40 acre property like the back of my hand. It's a work machine, not a recreational hoot - I lost my need for speed long ago!

The Kawasaki was water-cooled, and constant 4WD. Only reason we sold it was the front diff did a bearing which took out some of the internals, and it was either spend around $1500 to repair a 15 year old machine, put it back together as a 2WD, or bid it farewell after 15 good years. The Yammie has engine braking when coasting downhill, 4WD with a button push, and has EPS (electric power steering) which is great!

/ ATV advice #6  
I do not know all your intended uses but you may also want to consider a small side by side with a bed. At our rural property we have two ATVs and a lifted golf cart with a bed and ATV tires. The golf cart gets far more use than either of the ATVs.

I have owned ATVs for years and Honda and Yamaha have provided great service. I have not had the same experience with Polaris.

/ ATV advice #7  
40 years with ATV's,owned Honda,Suzuki,Kawasaki and Yamaha.They all make good ATV's/Side by Sides.
Currently have a 2016 Yamaha Viking and 2020 Yamaha Kodiak.
I.M.H.O ;Yamaha has the best CTV system and four wheel drive system.
Had my Kawasaki for 20 years;purchased four new Yamaha's.Never had a belt problem on any of my machines.

/ ATV advice
Many thanks for all this excellent input, TBN!

A UTV sounds great, but I've got so many tens of thousands of dollars tied up in land-related vehicles I am trying to limit my expenditures and keep the budgetary damage to a minimum.

As Deserteagle notes, by PSI, I am indeed referring to tire flotation over soft ground. That is the principle reason for this purchase and I will certainly be using tires that emphasize this feature of the ATV. Thanks also for the pointer in terms of looking past independent suspension. I get enough tippiness from the front-end of my tractor.

The trend I'm seeing here is that Japanese brands in general seem to be reliable and trustworthy. I'm still leaning toward that 4x4 Rancher at this point.

/ ATV advice #9  
ATVs and UTVs are two entirely different markets. I have owned and worked on all the brands of ATVs, and I do think all the Japanese names are the best, in terms of reliability. I give a slight personal edge to Suzuki over Honda, Kaw, and Yam.

As for limiting how much you tear up soft soil, tracks have the lowest ground pressure, but turning tears it up. Ask anyone with a tracked skidsteer or excavator. All but one current model ATV (Polaris with "turf mode") have locked rear ends. This is also very hard on soil when you turn. Using 2WD on slopes tears up more soil than does 4x4 if you can reduce tire slippage.

Using low range and 4wd will probably produce less soil disturbance, and be easier on your CVT belt. Depending on how you drive, of course.

/ ATV advice #10  
I am on my third UTV. I was not impressed with the first two Polaris units (Ranger 850 and RZR 570) but they were OK.

I currently have a "cheap" Kawasaki Mule SX. $7k new last year on sale. It is the only machine with a three year warranty out there and it has very good reliability reports It is slow but great for putzing, and having a bed is a nice feature for a work vehicle. I can take it on the road to visit neighbors without having to put on a helmet.

I had it out yesterday doing chores and then we drove it 2.5 miles to pick up mail and visit friends just past the mailbox. Yes, my mail box is 2.5 miles away. Very handy "toy" that we use for chores too.

Not sure how it would perform in your wet conditions. Might be worth a test drive though.