ATV advice

/ ATV advice #61  
I wish my Kubota RTV900 had a shorter turning radius, how do the 6x6 units do in tight spaces.
Even my Polaris 4x2 doesn’t do well at times.
I've not operated a RTV900 so its kind of hard for me to compare. Our 6x6 is one axle longer than a atv but we do use it on more narrow of trails. Sorry I can't give more specific of an answer.... :rolleyes:

/ ATV advice #62  
I wish my Kubota RTV900 had a shorter turning radius, how do the 6x6 units do in tight spaces.
Even my Polaris 4x2 doesn’t do well at times.
Do your units have the locked rear axle? I find that's what causes so many UTVs and ATVs to not have a good turning radius. With the rear tires having to turn at the same speed they tend to plow straight ahead. The rear diff in my Can-am Defender has a switchable locker; I run the diff as an open unit most of the time because that will allow it to turn on a dime. But the only ATV I've seen with a switchable rear diff was one model of Kawasaki. If I want my Yamaha Kodiak to turn sharp I have to lean hard opposite the turn to get the weight off the inside rear wheel so it can spin.

/ ATV advice #63  
Do your units have the locked rear axle? I find that's what causes so many UTVs and ATVs to not have a good turning radius. With the rear tires having to turn at the same speed they tend to plow straight ahead. The rear diff in my Can-am Defender has a switchable locker; I run the diff as an open unit most of the time because that will allow it to turn on a dime. But the only ATV I've seen with a switchable rear diff was one model of Kawasaki. If I want my Yamaha Kodiak to turn sharp I have to lean hard opposite the turn to get the weight off the inside rear wheel so it can spin.
To the best of my knowledge, I've never seen or certainly used, an ATV or UTV with a solid or locked rear axle.
Which model and makes have that? I have used a Yamaha Kodiak which does come with differential rear and front axles. Do you have an dated machine?

Last edited:
   / ATV advice #64  
I'd go with a Honda or maybe a Honda. If you cant find one of those, look for a Honda. Kawasaki 4 wheelers get 6mpg. Honda went all in and their stuff is good. I work on them all. Yamaha, still is not a Honda. I'm really not pro Honda but you are asking advice and I'm giving the best I can give. I worked as mechanic for a Polaris dealer and they are sorta okay just like the other non Honda brands. The prices arent that different. So why not settle it and get a Honda? We have a Yamaha rhino and three Hondas on the farm. Never been off the farm. No trail riding and such. One of the best things we ever did was get my mother a golf cart. Saves her knees. She's over 70 and will plow with a tractor.

/ ATV advice #65  
Speaking from experience, we're not getting a mini Asian truck.
View attachment 709582View attachment 709583
The problem most folks who get into the Japanese minitrucks, is that most of the folks buying them havn’t ever worked on anything. Not even tuned up a lawn mower.

So, maintaining a three cylinder gas engine with points, and very complex carburetor/emissions systems is bit much for a learning experience.

Add to that they have no idea of how suspensions work, and they start putting 4-inch lifts on them. if you understand how things work, and don’t do stupid things they work well. There are a few guys on a minitruck forum I frequent who know what they are doing, and a whole bunch who don’t have much of a clue, or any real aptitude.

Most of the Japanese rigs are very well thought out, and the engineering is on a par with whatever major maker is their sister company. My Hijet, shows a marked influence of the Toyota sister company. And, Daihatsu, made a lot of the engines we in North America, associate with Toyota‘s efficient durable engines.

The Chinese versions: Yes no way.

/ ATV advice #66  
To the best of my knowledge, I've never seen or certainly used, an ATV or UTV with a solid or locked rear axle.
Which model and makes have that?
Most without some kind of turf mode are locked.
Over the years I have owned a 1978 Honda ATC 110, 1980 Honda FL 250 Odyssey, 1987 Honda TRX 250r (all had solid rear axles, so they were locked.)
My 2005 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 and current Polaris RZR 900s, both had rear diffs, but neither had any kind of turf mode, so they are always locked.

Last edited:
   / ATV advice #67  
I've had my 2009 Suzuki KingQuad 500 Powersteering, worn out two plows with it. 400hours and 4k miles, then a windstorm came and flattend my carport and atv. Bought a new 2020 Suzuki Kingquad 750, dead realiable ATV's.
139625826_10157812410685983_689275909158299402_n.jpg
157994373_10157941118395983_5329807850604256889_n.jpg

/ ATV advice #68  
My 2005 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 and current Polaris RZR 900s, both had rear diffs, but neither had any kind of turf mode, so they are always locked.
No rear differentials on Kawasaki ATVs anymore. The old Bayou 2WDs had them, and the Police trike did (for service on pavement).

The RZR is a UTV (SXS) for sporty use, so locked rear end is preferred. Most UTV brands now have a rear differential (with locker) offered, I think on only utility models.

Only currently-offered ATV I am aware of with rear diff is Polaris Sportsman with Turf Mode option.

If in doubt, look at the parts pictures.

/ ATV advice #69  
Which model and makes have that? I have used a Yamaha Kodiak which does come with differential rear and front axles. Do you have an dated machine?
No Yamaha ATV that I know of has a rear differential that is unlocked. There is a differential, yes, but it is permanently locked so both rear wheels have to turn at the same speed all the time. Same with most UTVs, especially the "sporty" ones. Some of the Utility UTVs have, as stated above, "Turf Mode" to let you unlock the rear diff to enable it to turn sharper and to keep from tearing up turf.

/ ATV advice #70  
There is a differential, yes, but it is permanently locked so both rear wheels have to turn at the same speed all the time.
A differential is a gearbox that allows 2 wheels to spin at different speeds. If the the 2 rear wheels spin at the same speed all the time, you have a fixed "final drive", not a differential. It is a fixed final drive gearbox (pumpkin) whether you have independent suspension with 2 half-shafts, or a "solid" rear axle (non-IRS).

No Yamaha ATV has had a rear diff that I know of, including my old Kodiak. Not even the Terra Pro.