ATV advice

/ ATV advice #71  
A differential is a gearbox that allows 2 wheels to spin at different speeds. If the the 2 rear wheels spin at the same speed all the time, you have a fixed "final drive", not a differential. It is a fixed final drive gearbox (pumpkin) whether you have independent suspension with 2 half-shafts, or a "solid" rear axle (non-IRS).

No Yamaha ATV has had a rear diff that I know of, including my old Kodiak. Not even the Terra Pro.
OK, fine. Fixed final drive
Me and deserteagle call it a differential and you don't, but we are saying the same thing

/ ATV advice #72  
OK, fine. Fixed final drive
Me and deserteagle call it a differential and you don't, but we are saying the same thing
It is an important difference. 4x4 ATVs have a differential in front (limited-slip), and a simple ring-and-pinion final drive in the back. Finding one with a differential in the back is difficult, as well as buying used final drives on eBay as many folks use the wrong term.

Early UTV (SxS) products for off-road utility use rarely had rear differentials. Now, most offer them, sometimes only as an option. Since UTVs evolved from golf carts, rear diffs were necessary and common, since they were often driven on pavement, had only 2WD, and needed to avoid turf damage on golf courses.

The cheapest way to make a UTV for off-road use that maximizes traction is 2WD with fixed final drive. 4x4 and rear lockable diff are way better, but cost a lot more to make.

/ ATV advice #73  
It is an important difference. 4x4 ATVs have a differential in front (limited-slip), and a simple ring-and-pinion final drive in the back. Finding one with a differential in the back is difficult, as well as buying used final drives on eBay as many folks use the wrong term.
I don’t know for all 4x4 ATVs but am not aware of any with a limited slip front. Am not aware of any limited slip on the front of cars or trucks. The outer tire must turn much more than the inner.

Advanced automobiles will use the ABS system to selectively brake the fast wheel, with intelligence from the steering sensor to know when not to. A form of limited-slip, perhaps better than one implemented in differential.

Agree my 2WD Honda Recon has a locked rear end. Tires must slide to turn.

/ ATV advice #74  
I can't comment on most machines but the yamaha's we ran had limited slip. When you got stuck, they'd all spin. They also had a rear lock, but we never used it. Seems the can-am Defender had a similar setup. This is a grizzly seen below. Good machines but under powered for our needs..
Griz in deep (DL).jpg

/ ATV advice #75  
I can't comment on most machines but the yamaha's we ran had limited slip. When you got stuck, they'd all spin. They also had a rear lock, but we never used it. Seems the can-am Defender had a similar setup. This is a grizzly seen below. Good machines but under powered for our needs..

Correct. My Defender has what Bombardier calls a "Visco-lok" limited slip in the front. Works pretty well but the guys who really put the Defender through hell (mudding, rock climbing, etc.) change them out for a true mechanical locker.

/ ATV advice #76  
We did get our defender stuck. Top photo is a "ops!" by me. The company was happy enough with it after 5 years, they got another. We do work them hard and had no grief with its CV drive*.. Another good machine. In the bottom photo, the snow was nearly three feet deep.

*changed the drive belt yearly.

defender stuck.jpg
defdeepsnow095.jpg

Last edited:
   / ATV advice #77  
I don’t know for all 4x4 ATVs but am not aware of any with a limited slip front.
Well, don't take my word for it. Go look at the parts diagrams, which are free on the internet. I doubt that any 4x4 ATV does not have limited-slip diff in the front. They rarely fail, so most folks will never see the actual mechanism.

This LSD photo is from a Can-Am Outlander 400 4x4. Spider gears not shown.

Attachments

• LSD.jpg
    LSD.jpg
    361.4 KB · Views: 118
   / ATV advice #78  
Well, don't take my word for it. Go look at the parts diagrams, which are free on the internet. I doubt that any 4x4 ATV does not have limited-slip diff in the front. They rarely fail, so most folks will never see the actual mechanism.

This LSD photo is from a Can-Am Outlander 400 4x4. Spider gears not shown.
Yamaha Grizzly 700 doesn't. It's open or locked (Electronically via handlebar switch). I actually think most are this way unless there is no switch to engage the locker.

/ ATV advice #79  
No Yamaha ATV has had a rear diff that I know of, including my old Kodiak. Not even the Terra Pro.
The Terrapro did have a rear differential that you could unlock for finish mowing yards. Here is a video of a guy working on one and testing the feature.

/ ATV advice #80  
The Terrapro did have a rear differential that you could unlock for finish mowing yards.
My mistake. Part # 28 on the parts diagram for "final drive". The Yamaha TerraPro YFP350 was a unique and rare 2WD ATV made in the late 80s. Most unusual was its PTO. (And rear diff.)

Never seen one personally.