ATV advice

/ ATV advice #91  
Very different.

Seems to me that if you are chasing cattle, a 4-stroke dirt bike would be better than either ATV or UTV. Can't carry a lot of tools, yes, but neither can you on a horse. But I am no rancher.

The best tool for the job is not always what you have.
I don't ranch , but have family in the Black Hills with a sizeable ranch. They use a few horses and a small fleet of ATVs, and one sporty sxs. My Cousin used a bike when he was young, and dumb and full or hormones. Hard to ride a bike with a calf aboard. You can put a calf on a horse or an ATV. Hard to get the dog on the bike, either. Though they don't do well on horseback. :)

The last time we were out there (2020), there were some cattle that had just got out and we had 3-4 ATVs rounding them up. The bike doesn't work so well when you have to stop and open a gate. Kick stands don't work well on soft ground. Bikes also have a hard time going slowly. Bikes are fun, but not the best for ranch work, imho.

/ ATV advice #92  
I used a Polaris Ranger to coral cows whenever we were taking them to the market, worked like a charm.

/ ATV advice #93  
My ATV since new is a 2006 Arctic Cat 400cc 4x4 automatic, 2 inch receiver hitch (standard) hand brakes on both handles, snow blade and cargo seat

it had better clearance, towing capacity, beefier cargo racks on front and back, and improved features for my needs than the Honda, Yamaha, Polaris, and Suzuki (same local dealership). I have had it flying at 95 kms / hr (stock)

1675658445082.png
1675658576017.png

/ ATV advice #94  
I am assuming you purchase an ATV by now ? ,... anyhow I will give my two cents... Hauling and light weight don't mix well. Wide tires help distribute the weight and minimize ruts, so I would consider getting wide tires with ''small'' treads yes it minimizes traction, but it also optimizes flotation. ATV in general have very good flotation unless it's pure muskeg it's not 100lb that is going to make a difference if you compensate with tires, but tires can bog down a low hp ATV so it's a trade off.

I love honda but I find the new Honda with low cc's lacking torque even on low gear. Honda in the 2000's often had trouble with their rear differential and their thumb shift. You can't beat a Honda engine, but the suspension and ride comfort are not the best but for what you want to do with it, it's no factor... I grew up with a Kodiak 450 not sure the year but early 2000's, we beat that thing really hard, and we didn't put much money in it, and it is still running strong so I dont have anything to say againts it.

Now I wouldn't buy anything other than a Can-am they are well built, strong and have a smooth ride, after that it would be between Honda and Yamaha the last would-be Polaris, I wouldn't touch a polaris ATV even if you gave it to me, in between is fair game. Compare the axel diameter and the geometry of the CV joints and shaft it speak for itself and it is most of the issue you will have with them.

/ ATV advice #95  
as with tractors, ... Dealership support, relationship, and location, are also good factors to consider. i needed a workhorse (12 years before I bought my tractor) and Arctic Cat won it for me.
preferences may vary :)

/ ATV advice #96  
I would stay away from the Honda Rancher 420 in the 2009 vintage, they have an auto trans that is shift button controlled and they are known for shifting issues. My neighbor has one and he brought it to me to try and figure out what was wrong, what I ended up doing and it seemed to have fixed the problem was replace the PCM and shift angle sensor. I believe the model number is TRX-420FA, if it were me I would stay clear of that one. This same problem happens with the 350CC of the same vintage but, you can remedy the issue by adding a couple of relays and bypassing the shift circuit through the computer which makes it a very reliable method of remedying the issue. Hope this helps with your search.
thank you so much for your suggestion

/ ATV advice #97  
Honda is an innovator in the ATV dept, since 1969/70, esp with respect to transmissions.

Current models still preserve the ancient semi-auto trannies, whether foot-shifted, or solenoid-shifted with push buttons on the handlebar. They also have had the Hondamatic torque converter ATs, borrowed from the long-forgotten CM400 and 750A motorcycles from the 1980 era. (I had a CM400A.) They also offer a dual-clutch AT now. I have not tried it, but it is intriguing.

I have had a few of the electric-shifted semi-auto Hondas (350 Rancher and 450 Foreman). In the case of the 350, the ES had failed due to wear-out of the mechanical shift mech internally. An easy fix. I am not a big fan of this kind of trans, but it easier to shift than the foot shifter, esp if not wearing decent shoes.

I do think you can't go wrong with any of the name brands, tho I think Polaris, from my experience, is not as reliable, esp with brakes and gauge clusters.

Note that Arctic Cat used to use Suzuki engines/drives, but now uses Kymco for most mechanical components, and is called Textron. My own personal use 2017 Kymco MUX450i has worked flawlessly. Same mechanicals as in the AC.

If considering a large ATV with 4x4 and locking front diff, seriously consider the power steering option, or you will have difficulty steering when the diff is locked.

Rear independent suspension is a big plus if you want a softer ride. Rubber suspension bushings WILL wear out eventually, and all 32 will need to be replaced (big job). Something to consider if keeping the quad a long time, or buying used.

/ ATV advice #98  
Whatever you do, don't buy a Can-Am ATV.

After 35 years of riding Honda, Suzuki, Polaris, and Arctic Cat I bought a brand new Can-Am Outlander 570 last year. It's been the worst piece of **** I've ever spent money on. I work on it more than we ride it. 13 months old now, 800ish miles on it, and I think it might be to the point where I can use it this summer without fixing something else. What a piece of trash.

The plastics have gone brittle and literally fell apart in some areas, it overheated constantly so I had to install a radiator relocation kit, servicing it is a nightmare, brakes literally fell apart and the pads and calipers were destroyed, front diff whines like a couple of cats fighting, front diff drain screw is installed from the factory at an angle so it got stripped upon first service, I can't even remember all the issues. And this is in the first 12 months. Pathetic.

/ ATV advice #99  
We have the outlander 1000, 6x6 and have liked it. Have had greif with front propeller shaft which we think we fixed. Only use it for work thought.
6x6works101.jpg

/ ATV advice #100  
Whatever you do, don't buy a Can-Am ATV.

After 35 years of riding Honda, Suzuki, Polaris, and Arctic Cat I bought a brand new Can-Am Outlander 570 last year. It's been the worst piece of **** I've ever spent money on.
After all those why not go ahead and step up to the best and get a Yamaha? :)

We have 3 now (2007 Raptor, 2019 and 2022 Grizzlies) and I had others over the decades and Yamaha's always have been trouble free and perform as well or better than all the others.