Attaching a beam to post question?

/ Attaching a beam to post question? #21  
Agree that you should not use RR ties. Use structural lumber instead, like a 6x6.

They make a "saddle" type of bracket that will let you attach beams to posts. Or, depending on the load carried and the number of 2x boards in the beam, you can notch them into the posts -- that would be best. That is generally what I have done for various projects, which tend to only require one or two 2x header boards for the beam.

/ Attaching a beam to post question? #22  
In this case having been provided good reasons why my initial plan was ill advised, I will revise my plan and use a more suitable material so thanks to all who have posted for that.

In the mean time, I dont think debate is such a bad thing. I came to this DIY site to have answers, but I didnt come here to blindly accept the advice without understanding the logic of it simply because someone said so.

Sounds good in the abstract, but in reality it becomes a matter of us almost having to prove a negative in order to dissuade a poorly informed DIY'er not to do something that is structurally ill-advised.

/ Attaching a beam to post question? #23  
I want to build a house and use these as my corner columns. They don't rot and they are commonly used as fence posts, so they must be strong. Sounds good, rite?

style-fence-posts-WEB163946.jpg

/ Attaching a beam to post question? #25  
I want to build a house and use these as my corner columns. They don't rot and they are commonly used as fence posts, so they must be strong. Sounds good, rite?

View attachment 378643

Good! :)

Here are your framing anchors:

Parts & Products

And some ideas.

Quick Shelter Using Wedge-Loc & T-Post Construction | The Collie Farm Blog

Use pallets for your walls.

How to Make a Quick Shelter out of Pallets | The Free Range Life

Seal out the drafts with a blue tarp.

Post pictures.

:)

Bruce

/ Attaching a beam to post question? #26  
01a.jpg

I see these used also

/ Attaching a beam to post question?
If you are done being funny I think I've gotten the answer to my question..... so you can go back to what ever grade 9 lunch room you came from. Those freshmen arent going to make fun of themselves...

You would probably be considered a valuable asset to this community if you weren't such an ***.

/ Attaching a beam to post question? #28  
If you are done being funny I think I've gotten the answer to my question..... so you can go back to what ever grade 9 lunch room you came from. Those freshmen arent going to make fun of themselves...

You would probably be considered a valuable asset to this community if you weren't such an ***.

I would suggest a little thicker skin to get anything valuable from this forum. I'm pretty sure with the name calling, you might just be headed to the same lunch room as the rest of us...Welcome to TBN!!!

Sent from my LGL35G using TractorByNet

/ Attaching a beam to post question? #29  

Calm down.

NEW RR ties would probably be great if you could handle the creosote. For example if you were building a run-in shed.

The jokers often get carried away seeing who can make the dumbest comments, kind of a race to the bottom.

Tell us what you want to build (dimensions, layout) and we'll probably help.