Attaching a beam to post question?

/ Attaching a beam to post question? #1  

gdicks

Tractor
Kubota BX 2230
Im building a garage using a post and beam foundation.

I have railway ties for my posts and I plan to laminate three 2 x 8's for the beams. Question is how should I attach them to the posts. Ive seen adjustable post bases that will work like these 11191.044315671906ABA66Z_3.jpg but they are $16 each!

Also regular 6x6 post hardware is too big for the 4.5inch width of the laminated beam.

Any advice here or am I left to pay more for the attachment hardware than the beams will cost?

/ Attaching a beam to post question? #2  
Many questions and points:

1) RR ties as posts? Really.

2) The image above is a post to base connection, you'll need a different one for a beam to post connection. What does your post net to?

/ Attaching a beam to post question? #3  
I would be very hesitant to use RR ties....
I would wonder what that would do to the future salability of the property

/ Attaching a beam to post question? #4  
Planning a similar project. My current thinking is the beam / header will have open space equal to the width of the post in the center section at each post location. The corresponding posts' (also (3) laminated 2x6s) outside sections, will be trimmed back to create a mortise & tenon joint.

/ Attaching a beam to post question? #5  
1) I'd use 6x6 posts anchored in a footing. Where I live railway ties are only good for landscaping and nothing else!

2) You may have to make your own gusset plate or use hurricane brackets to tie the beam to the post. There are several different ways to accomplish this. I (my opinion) would set 6x6 posts and build a 2x10 outer band then use 2x8's for my floor joist at a minimum; my use 2x10's but it depends on the size and use of your garage.

/ Attaching a beam to post question?
Many questions and points:

1) RR ties as posts? Really.

2) The image above is a post to base connection, you'll need a different one for a beam to post connection. What does your post net to?

1) Is this intended to be helpful? What about this is an issue?

2) The picture above is for attaching a 6x6 post to a flat surface however the adjust ability would make it suitable for 3 laminated 2x8's sitting on the flat surface created by the 6.5 x 9 inch post.

/ Attaching a beam to post question? #7  
I would not, under any circumstances use RR ties for construction. No way, no how. 6X6 PT for the posts if they're coming in contact with ground or are near grade.

This is the portion of the Simpson catalog you need:

Post/Column to Beam for High Wind Resistance

/ Attaching a beam to post question? #8  
1) Is this intended to be helpful? What about this is an issue?

2) The picture above is for attaching a 6x6 post to a flat surface however the adjust ability would make it suitable for 3 laminated 2x8's sitting on the flat surface created by the 6.5 x 9 inch post.

Rail road ties are not suitable

There are other post to beam connectors available. You were the one bellyaching about the price, and asking what alternatives were available.

I think there is a minimum of ten posts before your panties can get in a bunch

/ Attaching a beam to post question?
Im not bellyaching, I am looking for an actual reason why Ties are not suitable. Not saying you are wrong, just would like to why yo believe them to be a poor choice?

/ Attaching a beam to post question? #10  
The main reason is creosote.
Look it up, its not good stuff