Anything better than wire nuts?

/ Anything better than wire nuts? #41  
My skills at electrical work are a little lacking. I was replacing an outside double flood light today. I’ve never had good luck with wire nuts. I was trying to get the wire nuts to stay connected, get the wires stuffed back in the box, and get the fixture screwed back into the box while standing on a ladder. It didn’t happen when I dropped it and broke an insulator where one light bulb screws in. I definitely broke it when I threw it in a trash can as hard as I could..

I went and bought another fixture and asked the guy at the hardware store if there was anything better. He said there is a setup where the wires are inserted and it snaps shut on them but he says they don’t work that great. With the wife helping we got it installed but it still took three tries to get the wire nuts to stay. Is there a better way?
Wire nuts should be just fine if you use them properly. I'm 51 and my dad was an electrician that I worked for a lot. I'm color blind, which is why I didn't pursue it. House wiring is fine, not too many colors. Solder and shrink wrap works good. But I'm happy with wire nuts, buy them by the gallons.

/ Anything better than wire nuts? #42  
I like wirenuts; when they're on properly, they're rock solid. The wire spring holds the conductors together with good tension and large connection area. I don't think I've ever seen one fail. I've installed hundreds of them.
When doing larger jobs, I used a battery drill and a nut driver to screw them on. Very fast.

But I changed over to the Wigo things because they're so easy to use. The EU ones are rated for 16A (pretty much the standard maximum for domestic current).
I like the levers that allow for disconnection. I don't quite trust those push-in only ones, except for light users.

I use more solid screw down connectors for circuits to the workshop where my welder plugs in, even though it only uses 16A.
20A max.

/ Anything better than wire nuts? #43  
Yep, I have a couple of pairs of Kliens 9 inch, one found in the drop ceiling left by some hapless electrician, and one set I actually bought new and are still pristine. Over the years I have found a lot of tools left in drop ceilings.
Thats usually me. Ive left hammers, klines, strippers, rtc. Not worth the trip back in the Attic to find them.

/ Anything better than wire nuts? #44  
A pair of Klien lineman's pliers go form $40-$60...plus insulated handles...they are guaranteed against anything but burn throughs and loss...

/ Anything better than wire nuts? #45  
OP are you by chance a lefty. Wired houses for 18 years and one left-handed helper that Twisted the wires backwards the wiring nuts would not stay on for him either.

/ Anything better than wire nuts? #46  
Wire nuts should be just fine if you use them properly. I'm 51 and my dad was an electrician that I worked for a lot. I'm color blind, which is why I didn't pursue it. House wiring is fine, not too many colors. Solder and shrink wrap works good. But I'm happy with wire nuts, buy them by the gallons.
I think a lot of the problems people have using wire nuts could be eliminated by good planning. I like to run a circuit to each room. The ceiling light has a large box for junctions. I don't like to have the light fixture wires in the junctions. I pig tail makes just the final connection easy to join the braid and solid wire.

I do the same for receptacles. I chose wisely where to start/end in the room, meaning one daisy chain connection. that includes the pig tails, so 3 blacks and 3 whites. It is important to leave the wires the correct length, not so short you have to reach in the box, not so long you have the wad up the wires to get it in.

After I have it all connected, I fold the wires neatly so they will lay flat. One final push with a hammer handle. This leaves just one black, one white and a ground wire poking out. I never use the receptacle for the junction.

A quick check the circuits work....

That done, I'm ready for the dry wall hangers

/ Anything better than wire nuts? #48  
Stranded wires need to be twisted together clockwise before joining with solid wire or wires which if there are multiple wires also need to be twisted together before wirenutting. It’s also very important when joining solid and stranded wires to extend the stranded wires a bit beyond the end of the solid wire(s) before putting on the wirenut. And yes the wirenut needs to be tight and the individual wires should be tested by giving them a tug to make sure they’re secure. I agree the ones without a metal spring are junk.

/ Anything better than wire nuts? #49  
About pre-twisted wires. 3M video and Ideal pdf.

Bruce

Attachments

• WireNut WireConnector Instructions.pdf
    87.4 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
   / Anything better than wire nuts? #50  
Thats usually me. Ive left hammers, klines, strippers, rtc. Not worth the trip back in the Attic to find them.
Where’d you leave the strippers?🤷🏻
Asking for a friend.😁