Anybody Here Own an Antonio Carraro 4400 TTH?

/ Anybody Here Own an Antonio Carraro 4400 TTH? #41  
AC has a retailer in West Kentucky. Can't remember the name. Sorry.

I called them last year. They spec'd a TTR4400 HST II (2) with cab for $26k. That was with 4wd, reversible operator's station (standard), and more hydraulic lines/controls than you could ever match with any other brand for that price.

I think the cab was only a $3k option... with heat, a.c., and mp3

/ Anybody Here Own an Antonio Carraro 4400 TTH? #42  
I have just bought a Antonio Carraro 3800 HST which is a similar model. I am still trying to figure out how it all works- the lever under the seat is a puzzle? Any help with an owners operating manual would be good?

/ Anybody Here Own an Antonio Carraro 4400 TTH? #43  
I have recently bought a Carraro and would like some advice on how things work. The model is a Antonio Carraro 3800 HST Tigretrac - I guess it is 1997 but am not sure. It does not appear to have done a lot of hours but the clock may not be working properly! Please advise if you can shed any light on some of the controls?

/ Anybody Here Own an Antonio Carraro 4400 TTH? #44  
I have just bought a Antonio Carraro 3800 HST which is a similar model. I am still trying to figure out how it all works- the lever under the seat is a puzzle? Any help with an owners operating manual would be good?

I recently sold my 3800HST, so I'll have to rely on memory to help you.
The best approach may be to simply try and get the tractor to do what you want it to do, and learn the operations as necessary. I say that because although I had the manual, there were levers and features I never used at all, and to most work, they were extraneous.

There is a small lever under the seat to release the seat so that it can flip up and be reversed. Maybe this is what you mean. It's all steel. There's another lever with a black knob that controlled a lock-out differential, as I recall, that may be down near the seat.

Are you familiar with how the tractor reverses stations?

As I recall, there is also a push-pull lever down low that can alter the pto to run from engine rpm or instead ground speed.

Essential to this tractor is learning where to add oil . It is far from obvious. There is engine oil, rear hydraulic oil, and front hydraulic oil. The steering and remotes share oil with the front and rear transmission. There are inconvenient filler holes, and nearly invisible sight tubes and/or plugs to ascertain oil level. Hydraulic leaks and/or leaky implements can result in low oil. Also owners that may be unaware of where to add oil. (I was one of those)

Having said all that, it was a fun and useful tractor. Quite dependable, save for aging hydraulic hoses that wound through every nook and cranny.

Hope this helps.

/ Anybody Here Own an Antonio Carraro 4400 TTH? #45  
I recently sold my 3800HST, so I'll have to rely on memory to help you.
The best approach may be to simply try and get the tractor to do what you want it to do, and learn the operations as necessary. I say that because although I had the manual, there were levers and features I never used at all, and to most work, they were extraneous.

There is a small lever under the seat to release the seat so that it can flip up and be reversed. Maybe this is what you mean. It's all steel. There's another lever with a black knob that controlled a lock-out differential, as I recall, that may be down near the seat.

Are you familiar with how the tractor reverses stations?

As I recall, there is also a push-pull lever down low that can alter the pto to run from engine rpm or instead ground speed.

Essential to this tractor is learning where to add oil . It is far from obvious. There is engine oil, rear hydraulic oil, and front hydraulic oil. The steering and remotes share oil with the front and rear transmission. There are inconvenient filler holes, and nearly invisible sight tubes and/or plugs to ascertain oil level. Hydraulic leaks and/or leaky implements can result in low oil. Also owners that may be unaware of where to add oil. (I was one of those)

Having said all that, it was a fun and useful tractor. Quite dependable, save for aging hydraulic hoses that wound through every nook and cranny.

Hope this helps.

Hi Walter63,
Thanks for the insight on how things work. I have found some video footage online of how the reverse station works for a back bucket. The information on the hydraulic oil is most useful - can you remember where the filler holes are located and sight tubes? I presume the front leaky steering ram shares hydraulic oil with the front transmission? Did your 3800 Carraro have a noticeable HST whine? My concern is that a low hydraulic level would create a hydraulic pump whine. Sorry to ask so many questions but if you can remember that would be great.

/ Anybody Here Own an Antonio Carraro 4400 TTH? #46  
Hi Walter63,
Thanks for the insight on how things work. I have found some video footage online of how the reverse station works for a back bucket. The information on the hydraulic oil is most useful - can you remember where the filler holes are located and sight tubes? I presume the front leaky steering ram shares hydraulic oil with the front transmission? Did your 3800 Carraro have a noticeable HST whine? My concern is that a low hydraulic level would create a hydraulic pump whine. Sorry to ask so many questions but if you can remember that would be great.

The filler plugs are difficult to locate. Engine oil dipstick is in a logical, if somewhat difficult to see, location. As I recall, the others look like oversize machine bolt heads, but flatter and are threaded plugs, either pipe thread or with an O-ring seal.. You'll need to get the chassis very clean and well lit to find them. They may be behind the tires or even hidden behind a hose, but if you are persistent, you can find them. They are not on the top of the transmission cases, they are on the side. One of them may be on the rear near the PTO. Typically, you fill up to the level of the plug. You will need some kind of plunger-type oil filling tool. A funnel won't get in there. As you fill, remember that air needs to escape. It can be a slow process. I made a set-up that threaded into the filler hole and plumbed it to a disconnect fitting. It was still slow. How they could design a tractor where hydraulics are so critical yet make it so hard to check and fill fluids was always a puzzle to me.

Sorry to be so vague. I have had three different Carraro tractors and don't recall the specific filler locations. Even with the manual, I was often perplexed trying to relocate a filler hole I had used the year before.

You should find and fill engine oil, front transmission, and rear transmission. That will cover everything.

Having said that, you would still be well advised to get hold of an operator's manual. I am sure the dealers can get one for your model.

Some of the Carraro hydrostatic systems whine more than others. Engine RPM can make a difference.

/ Anybody Here Own an Antonio Carraro 4400 TTH? #47  
I have found a square headed drain/ filler plug on the transmission casing near the hydraulic hoses for the power steering. It is only about 20mm diameter so I will try and make a filler pipe as you did. I presume universal hydraulic oil will do?
I have also been investigating the steering hoses which loop from the Danfoss steering box to a unit below. This has a handle which swings from left to right and gets in the way of the seat reversing! Is this some kind on steering damper/ restrictor for higher speed road use driving?

/ Anybody Here Own an Antonio Carraro 4400 TTH? #48  
I have found a square headed drain/ filler plug on the transmission casing near the hydraulic hoses for the power steering. It is only about 20mm diameter so I will try and make a filler pipe as you did. I presume universal hydraulic oil will do?
I have also been investigating the steering hoses which loop from the Danfoss steering box to a unit below. This has a handle which swings from left to right and gets in the way of the seat reversing! Is this some kind on steering damper/ restrictor for higher speed road use driving?

The hydraulic oil in the front case should be the same as the engine oil. As I recall, there is some sort of seal between the engine and transfer case that could fail and merge the oil with the engine oil. I assume the square plug fitting is located inconveniently for filling. As I recall, I found a pressure washer fitting that was the right size which enabled me to construct a filling apparatus. It wasn't easy finding that 20mm fitting which is why I mention the pressure washer application. You will also need to find another plug to the same case, or crack another connection slightly. You need to allow air to escape unless you want to spend 4 hours watching the new oil slowly trickle into the case.
If you reverse the tractor station you'll find out what that lever is for. It reverses the steering hydraulics. So flip it out of your way, and then the steering will be correct. Otherwise the tractor would turn left when you steered right...a bit disconcerting.
You really should locate a users manual. But I'm happy to help where I can. Just wish I still had my 3800 so I could give you more positive answers.

/ Anybody Here Own an Antonio Carraro 4400 TTH? #49  
I have just bought a Antonio Carraro 3800 HST and would also like to find a workshop manual. Have you found a source yet?

/ Anybody Here Own an Antonio Carraro 4400 TTH? #50