Anybody Here Own an Antonio Carraro 4400 TTH?

/ Anybody Here Own an Antonio Carraro 4400 TTH?
I've doctored my tractor with stop leak additive. It has significantly reduced the leak problem coming from around the pump. It took a while getting all the air worked out of the system. This winter I'm going to replace the pump and noodle around with the fittings (tighten up) and also replace the filter and check out the suction side. I think the pump is not working to full potential and has probably been damaged hence the seal leaking problem. The tractor only has 234 hours but 200+ hours were at a Florida golf course and maybe did not get the TLC it deserved during those early years. I just want to get the lift working up and down more rapidly and to get the steering working faster to where I don't scare myself in the top gear range (kind of scary when the tractor goes one direction, you turn the wheel and the steering response lag leads to a later over correction in the opposite direction!). From talking to other Carraro owners who don't have that problem it seems to center on my hydraulic pump likely being nearly shot. At any rate, I like the tractor and look forward to getting it back to stock performance.

Paula, the NC distributor is no more .. yes? Don in California suggested I get with Crown Orchard in Virginia. I called them a while back and the owner got right back with me. I plan to buy the parts through Crown Orchard and to get a local former JD mechanic to do the major work. Thanks for your offer to help.
Bill in NC

/ Anybody Here Own an Antonio Carraro 4400 TTH? #12  
Bill,

Glad to hear you were able to get help!

I work out here on the West Coast, So who all of our dealers are on the East Coast, I'm honestly not sure. The acamerica.com website does keep dealers and service shops posted by zip code. But Don who is our parts manager does know who all the dealers are and where they are located. Plus Don has been with Carraro since nearly the dawn of time & every design upgrade & change, so he's quite a good authority.

At this point with out looking I could only venture to guess, but could some one have made the mistake of putting in the wrong kind of fluid? Some of those older Carraros required mineral oil versus hydraulic or universal. ?? Making the viscosity the problem,,, so they pump can't move the fluid properly? Just a thought.

Eitherway it will be interesting to find out what happened. I don't know if Don told you or not, but those oscillation joints on the 2004 and older must be greased every 10 to 15 hours. The bushing/seal is a nylon material and ended up being significantly too soft to last with out regular greasing. The bad thing is it's a very very expensive & extensive repair when they go bad, but 'with' regular greasing they last decades.
I'd really like to know what happened when you do get the repair done. This way if I cross paths with anyone having a similar issue I might be able to more quickly point them toward a cure. Would really appreciate it.

Thanks!
Paula

/ Anybody Here Own an Antonio Carraro 4400 TTH? #13  
Hey!

This is my brand! I'm the NW Regional Rep. If you need anything let me know, I'll connect you up with the nearest dealer/parts supplier we have or I'll get you what you need myself and have Don at HQ send you the parts straight away. Plus I can help with advise.... and for what I don't know, I have books and a tech department to supplement that help with!

You couldn't get a better hill and slope tractor!

Chaio!

Paula
You might mention to the company to update their dealerships on their website as it seems many of them no longer handle AC...:rolleyes:
Antonio Carraro America Dealer Maps

Paula, thanks for alerting me to the oscillation joint greasing situation. I like my Antonio Carraro tractor and look forward to many years of hillside mowing and other work. By chance, do you know of an American importer/distributor for the Bonatti backhoe and front end loader line? I see where they have products designed to fit the 4400 TTH tractor.
Bonatti Caricatori Frontali

Thanks for your comments.
Bill in NC

/ Anybody Here Own an Antonio Carraro 4400 TTH? #15  
Bill,
Try Eugene Canales at Ferrarri Tractors in California. He has a great website, and is very knowlegable. He can get you whatever you need and has information as well.
Walter

Walter, thanks for the recommendation. Canales has great information on his web site.
Bill in NC

/ Anybody Here Own an Antonio Carraro 4400 TTH? #17  
I'm pretty intrigued by these tractors. I live in Idaho on some fairly hilly country, a conventional tractor is uncomfortable to downright dangerous on most land in this area. The low center of gravity, oscilating axles, 4 wheel diff lock and the reversable seat look like great features.

What's your impression of the ruggedness of the 4400? Most of the pics on the web site show it just with a mower mounted, is it tough enough for a FEL, and some work skidding small logs, mulching a significant area, snow blowing and road grading? If so, this seems like it would be a great rig for my needs, and for many others in my area.

Can anyone let me know about what one of these cost? (PM would be fine)

Thanks.
Bri

/ Anybody Here Own an Antonio Carraro 4400 TTH? #18  
Hi Brian,
The Carraro is a great tractor, and probably the best tractor made for hilly areas. They'll slide sideways before they will roll over.
They are well built, but different than a U.S made farm tractor. Ground clearance is not as high. They rely heavily on hydraulics, so naturally they are more vulnerable to leaks. Their compactness means they fit a lot of components into a small space. There's not a lot of extra room, and that can make repairs tricky. You can get front end loaders designed for the Carraro. Ferrari-tractors.com is a good source of equipment and information, http://www.ferrari-tractors.com/index.html. On the 4400, a front ed loader is not going to have huge capacity.
The fact that they are low to the ground makes them stable on uneven terrain, but it also limits ground clearance except for the largest models. I'm not big on using a tractor for a skidder...it can be dangerous and the tractor gets all beat up. For mowing, haying, snow-blowing, etc. it can't be beat. (Check out the pictures of a 4400 haying in the Alps!)
I hope my comments have been helpful.
Walter

/ Anybody Here Own an Antonio Carraro 4400 TTH? #19  
Walter, thanks for the information. I talked with a dealer today on this tractor, according to him a FEL is not available, do you know if that's correct? If so, it's kind of a show stopper.

I agree with you with respect to skidding...but a dedicated skidder or cat is too much and not versital enough for my needs, and as a poor working stiff I can't begin to afford both. Plenty of people get away with conventional farm tractors for skidding, if used carefully and for fairly small logs. I'm more interested in using one for cleanup and perhaps firewood gathering than large scale logging.

I did talk with the guy at Ferrari tractors, their Cobram 35 hp model is appealing, it's reversable, available in either conventional or articulated steering, and with the conventional steering it's available with a FEL. I really like the idea of a rear-mounted snow blower and a FEL for digging the frozen stuff, and back grading near buildings.

Any of these "low profile" reversable tractors look pretty appealing, does anyone other than Goldoni, Carraro and Ferrari/BCS sell such an animal in this country?

Thanks again,
Bri

/ Anybody Here Own an Antonio Carraro 4400 TTH? #20  
Brian,
Ferrari should be able to get you a FEL for the Carraro 4440. It won't have a huge capacity. He also can get you a 3 point mounted front end loader, which again won't have huge capacity, but is another option.
I use an old fashioned dirt scoop on my 4400 to move soil and rocks. It costs about $300 and it will do everything a FEL will do except lift high. I also use bale forks on the 3 point. They will pick up pallets, and I use them a lot to move brush. I pile the brush on the forks over a rope, tie the rope, and off I go. I can move a huge pile this way. I can also drive into a large pile and pick it up.
I'd buy a Carraro. No other similar tractor comes close. Carraro has great parts inventory and service advice in the U.S.
Good luck.
Walter